December 13, 2018, 11:37:58 PM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264903 times)

Offline 83travelinman

• Veteran
Anyone being productive with your Deskwarming time?
« Reply #600 on: February 26, 2013, 10:07:19 AM »
Are any of you out there actually planning lessons for the new school year? Iím not  Of course, I did teach myself to shuffle cards and some new card tricks. Thought I would spend some time learning more Korean, but TV shows sucked me in. AND, reading Waygook. What are you all doing?

Offline TheWB18

• Expert Waygook
Re: Anyone being productive with your Deskwarming time?
« Reply #601 on: February 26, 2013, 10:16:15 AM »
I've been productive all month - writing, studying, paperwork, even a bit of lesson planning - but today I am dead bored, and only 3 hours into the day. It's gonna be a long one.

Offline papayapie

• Super Waygook
  • H8SK
« Reply #602 on: February 26, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »
Not being productive in regards to teaching/work...but that's because I only have a month left and literally can't make myself care anymore.

I am, however, applying for some more law school scholarships and working on a novel I've been writing.

Offline FalseFace

• Super Waygook
« Reply #603 on: February 26, 2013, 12:11:07 PM »
Does reading about the newly announced PS4 count?

No?

Ok then.  Nothing really.  I've been looking at jobs, deciding what to do after this contract ends in a month.
"We're entrusted with the same tomorrow..."
-- El-P

Offline WestMeetsEast

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #604 on: February 26, 2013, 12:13:21 PM »
Planned out all my lessons until the end of April [Introductionary/Icebreaker lessons and chapters 1 and 2 of my textbook].

Learned some Korean.

Offline cutieturtle07

• Veteran
« Reply #605 on: February 26, 2013, 01:54:17 PM »
Just finished a 150 hour TESOL on groupon for 69 dollars for job opportunities in Australia and Korea.

Have also been working on my "real" teaching certification that is being completed online.

Couldn't plan lessons because the books have changed for this coming school year and just got them in today. 

Have 6 weeks left and going home to travel to Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand for the summer. My mind is at home. Not at work.

Offline hwana

• Expert Waygook
Re: On your Marks, Get the Coffee set up, Desk Warm!
« Reply #606 on: February 28, 2013, 02:29:42 PM »
I just bumped into the principal in the hallway and our conversation went like this:

Principal: Oh, hello! I didn't expect to see you here today
Me: Yes, I've been here every day
Principal: Really? Don't you have somewhere better to go?
Me (laughing): Well I'd like to, but I have to be in school
Principal (looking concerned): Have to?
Me: Yes
Principal: Why?
Me: I'm not sure. I can't take vacation now, though.
Principal: That's strange..

...and she walked off looking puzzled  ;D She's a very nice lady and to be fair I do all my contractual-related dealings with the VP, but this little exchange made me smile.

Offline WestMeetsEast

• Expert Waygook
Re: On your Marks, Get the Coffee set up, Desk Warm!
« Reply #607 on: February 28, 2013, 03:09:37 PM »
I just bumped into the principal in the hallway and our conversation went like this:

Principal: Oh, hello! I didn't expect to see you here today
Me: Yes, I've been here every day
Principal: Really? Don't you have somewhere better to go?
Me (laughing): Well I'd like to, but I have to be in school
Principal (looking concerned): Have to?
Me: Yes
Principal: Why?
Me: I'm not sure. I can't take vacation now, though.
Principal: That's strange..

...and she walked off looking puzzled  ;D She's a very nice lady and to be fair I do all my contractual-related dealings with the VP, but this little exchange made me smile.

Should have convinced her to talk to the VP and maybe allow you to not deskwarm haha.

Offline TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Desk Warming Ideas and Rants
« Reply #608 on: March 02, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
IT'S FINALLY OVER.

School starts on Monday and it's back to teaching. So glad that it was a holiday today too.

Offline newb

• Newgookin
« Reply #609 on: March 02, 2013, 07:10:21 AM »
Not enough.  I thinky I will pull a sicky on Monday, the first day of school. :P
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

Offline Dorozco

• Adventurer
« Reply #610 on: March 02, 2013, 09:17:28 AM »
I just finished my online MA TESOL program while deskwarming. I also looked into either a teacher's license or a PhD in teaching, I'm feeling the former would be good as other countries might like that.

Offline WestMeetsEast

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #611 on: March 03, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »
My productiveness of deskwarming was ruined by a teacher coming in and informing me that my new textbooks have arrived at 2pm the last work day before the school term starts.  I am never lesson planning during deskwarming again.  No way.

Offline sholee

• Waygookin
« Reply #612 on: March 05, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »
My productiveness of deskwarming was ruined by a teacher coming in and informing me that my new textbooks have arrived at 2pm the last work day before the school term starts.  I am never lesson planning during deskwarming again.  No way.

that's exactly my situation. I spent all of january and february planning lessons for the book we used last semester AFTER i asked my co teacher 3 times if she was sure the books weren't changing. The last week of my desk warming before the new term starts, she tells me they're using another set of new books for the new semester. I wanted to murder her. Never lesson planning like this ever again. 

Offline gtrain83

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #613 on: March 05, 2013, 03:10:02 PM »
And that is why I now lesson plan a week or maybe two before. "Oh make this for this lesson"....5 mins before class............"nah let's not use all this anymore I have stuff I found/made." :-(

Offline mikeD

• Super Waygook
Desk Warming
« Reply #614 on: July 01, 2013, 09:33:31 AM »
So last Friday I did not have any classes because students were getting ready for exams. This week I do not have classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I do have classes on Tuesday and Thursday because I'm at another school. Its Monday morning and already bored and lots more time to fill. I have two questions for people. Is this normal to desk warm so much and what are peoples experiences desk warming (frequency) and what do you do on those days. 

Offline Chicagohotdog

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Ketchup? Get outta here!
Re: Desk Warming
« Reply #615 on: July 01, 2013, 10:23:17 AM »
So last Friday I did not have any classes because students were getting ready for exams. This week I do not have classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I do have classes on Tuesday and Thursday because I'm at another school. Its Monday morning and already bored and lots more time to fill. I have two questions for people. Is this normal to desk warm so much and what are peoples experiences desk warming (frequency) and what do you do on those days.

I am far from the norm - but I have at least one day a week that is deskwarming.  Also, leading up to exams and during exam time you will have a lot of deskwarming.  Bring books, watch youtube...whatever you like to pass the time.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

Offline keirdre

• Veteran
« Reply #616 on: July 19, 2013, 09:06:19 AM »
Improve your grammar knowledge: http://ge.tt/5pkVkAm/v/0?c
Learn some interesting shit: https://www.coursera.org/

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #617 on: July 19, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
Has anyone ever had this happen during deskwarming time? My co-teacher thinks that during the week before camp, when I need to actually make the materials and stuff FOR camp, that I am absolutely required to have 20 hours of other work to do. The contract says that during vacations I can be asked to teach or go to teacher training up to 20 hours a week. She is interpreting this as, even if there are days with no camp and no training, I still need to be given 20 hours worth of other stuff to do. I basically told her no way, since I'll need to spend that one deskwarming week planning camp, and then the week after camp is my vacation. Gah.

Offline chuck2657

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #618 on: July 19, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
Has anyone ever had this happen during deskwarming time? My co-teacher thinks that during the week before camp, when I need to actually make the materials and stuff FOR camp, that I am absolutely required to have 20 hours of other work to do. The contract says that during vacations I can be asked to teach or go to teacher training up to 20 hours a week. She is interpreting this as, even if there are days with no camp and no training, I still need to be given 20 hours worth of other stuff to do. I basically told her no way, since I'll need to spend that one deskwarming week planning camp, and then the week after camp is my vacation. Gah.

She's probably just off-loaded her work.  Some KTs are quite adept at it.

I actually won't have a single desk-warming day during summer vacation, they scheduled camp for all the days, right up to the day before school starts.

There goes all of my plans for making a huge leap forward in online classes : /.

Offline WestMeetsEast

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #619 on: July 19, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »
During the entire summer vacation period starting next week I have 2 days when I'm 'deskwarming', 8 days when I have at least 1 class per day (^^), then 2 weeks vacation.  Start school again on August 19th.