September 22, 2018, 03:57:24 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 257593 times)

Offline Gunpo_Erin

• Super Waygook
Re: DESKWARMING
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2011, 10:55:03 AM »
Cancel vacation?  Are they serious?  They can't cancel your vacatioin.

Offline glitterstarbeau

• Veteran
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »
That's something my coteacher causally threw out there when the principal dropped by and saw there were no students.

Offline glitterstarbeau

• Veteran
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2011, 10:58:42 AM »
Ah, now that I think about it, there's no way.  I actually came into work.  It's not my fault no one showed up.  And I have a contract.  But they could take away that extra week they threw in.

Offline hwana

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2011, 11:03:49 AM »
      Was late to deskwarm today b/c someone decided to back out into the street without looking and although I laid on my horn they didnt seem to notice.  BAM! Nothing too serious.
   Then get a text from my coteach saying "isnt it your working day? i dont see you here".  I text back and say "late car wreck." 
       A few minutes later I arrive at school, go into my office say "hey" to my coteach.  She doesnt reply, doesnt ask if I'm okay or what happened.  UGHH! 

Would you consider this extremely rude? I'm a little pissed right now!

I'd probably assume that she didn't quite grasp what your message meant - of course everyone here would know what it means, but I've not heard a car accident/crash be referred to as a "wreck" before so maybe that's the reason? I've found it's usually best writing things as simply as possible if you want to get your point across. Perhaps "I was in a traffic accident" might have aroused some sympathy? Or, maybe she just doesn't care.. haha

BTW were you on a scooter?

Offline shelleydee

• Adventurer
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
I just finished watching the Canada/US World Junior hockey game.  Looking forward to the Canada/Russia final.

But I think I'll start planning my Indonesia/Bali trip for Lunar New Year.

Offline msqueen888

• Adventurer
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »

I'd probably assume that she didn't quite grasp what your message meant - of course everyone here would know what it means, but I've not heard a car accident/crash be referred to as a "wreck" before so maybe that's the reason? I've found it's usually best writing things as simply as possible if you want to get your point across. Perhaps "I was in a traffic accident" might have aroused some sympathy? Or, maybe she just doesn't care.. haha

BTW were you on a scooter?

no in a car...and her English is pretty good.  She's married to a foreigner.  Maybe you're right about her not understanding, but I think she is just mad I was late not matter what the reason.

twitch

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »
shelleydee....what site did you watch the game on?

Offline shelleydee

• Adventurer
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »
TSN

Offline Awesomo

• Adventurer
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2011, 11:23:11 AM »
I'll put this here: hopefully it can help some of you guys out :)

http://esloutpost.com/article/get/1167357750/Keeping%20Busy%20and%20Happy%20Over%20the%20Holidays
ESL Outpost - Tools and Information for Teachers Living Abroad

Offline dsca0421

• Waygookin
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »
Pretty sure a couple of my students just tried to give me the runaround about having places to be during their camp session.  Really?

Just don't come...

Anyway, whoever coined up the term "deskfreezing", I salute you.

Offline tfuller

• Super Waygook
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2011, 12:14:34 PM »
My co-teacher doesn't get any vacation time at all. So if i were to get a lot more time off, it would probably make her go nuts because she wouldn't have anyone to talk to  ;)

Offline red

• Veteran
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2011, 12:55:57 PM »
I was supposed to be teaching camp, but no students showed up.  Now my coteacher thinks my vacation might get cancelled.  I had a lot of fun activities planned out and everything ready, too.  Ah, students, I'm sorry you'd rather be playing Halo than coming to English camp.

It isn't your fault why students didn't show up..  ???
In fact you prepared for it...

Offline korussian

• Newgookin
  • http://www.dmitryvolokhov.info
Deskwarming - What do you do?
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »
A lot of questions & answers get repeated on ESL Cafe and even other Korea forums (like Waygook.org).  Sometimes we make lists of the most common ones, but then those threads eventually get buried, and we go through the whole dance again.

To help fix this, I made http://korrelation.info.  It's like a Wiki (which others have suggested doing), but way simpler, and with no login needed.  You just type out the answer to some question that always/often comes up about Korea.  Plus, you can link your article to a specific Waygook.org thread (or any other site) that contains the discussion about whatever you're covering.  At the end, you tag it to make it easier to find later, and you're done fast.  I tried to set up the site so that it mostly stays out of your way.

Just click "Add an article" in the middle of the page, and write down something useful about Korea that you know about.  Like, maybe, "where to buy deodorant", "where can I find an adapter?", "why does my co-teacher brush her teeth every 17 minutes", "why do old ladies push me on the street?", etc.  You know, something for the ages...

If you're desk-warming these days, it's a great way to help out other folks in Korea, and those on their way.  Feel free to write about school life, what to expect in Korea, and your personal hacks for making it all bearable.  No need to register, and feel free to make up a fake name/website if you don't want the article to point to your blog or whatever.

Just remember: Korrelation is not a forum, but rather more of a Knowledgebase of answers.  Article titles are usually questions (common ones), and article content is the answer to that question.

I would REALLY appreciate any/all feedback on http://korrelation.info!

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:13:33 PM by korussian »

Offline juliehrrs

• Veteran
Desk Warming
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2011, 11:11:57 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone knows that actual reason why we have to desk warm? Most of us spend so much time complaining about it but does anyone know if there is a reason?
I was going to email my co-ordinator but I don't want to draw attention to myself and she starts checking up on me-I come to work but since my co-teachers and my prinicpal aren't at school I only come in at around 11ish and leave at around three. Both my co-teacher and one of my team teachers have said that I shouldn't come in at all, but I am not sure if it is worth the risk, it is literally me and the cleaner at school.

Offline BryceSK

• Adventurer
Re: The reason for desk warming
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
The reason is a Korean logic one. The thinking here is that our contract says we have X amount of days of leave and the rest of the time we are being paid to be at school. Hence the rest of the time must then be spent at said school...I know it's a hack. Apparently a year or two ago, it was not enforced as much, but I do stand to be corrected.

Offline Joss

• Adventurer
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »
Yeah - it's a contractual thing. We have X amount of vacation days and that's the end of it. The idea is that we would get ahead on our lesson planning or do other productive things with our time in school.

There are a lot of people who aren't required to go in (off the books). If your co told you that you don't need to be there, and she/he will back you up if anyone else at the school questions you about it, then don't worry about it. Last year a number of people complained to the POE that their friends didn't have to go in, so a memo was sent to all of the schools asking for stricter inforcement of the contract dates. That has seemed to lapse in a lot of cases.

If they tell you not to go in, then don't. Just don't advertize it to everyone.

Offline derbear86

• Veteran
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2011, 11:34:26 AM »
It's all in the contract that you and everyone else teaching here wilfully signed. You will have have to work when you are not using the 18-20 vacation days you were given. As it was stated earlier on this thread, many of these "working days" are only around four hours. What's so hard to understand about the Korean logic here? You agreed to work these days, and now they expect you to do so. And why the complaining!? You are being paid to do nothing! Bring a book to read. Watch a movie or a t.v. show. AND get paid! Why the complaining? Good luck finding a job like that back home.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:57:25 AM by derbear86 »

Offline BryceSK

• Adventurer
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »
I don't think anyone's necessarily complaining here. More like speculating on the reasons for desk warming  ;)

Offline Adobe

• Veteran
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2011, 12:22:39 PM »
By emailing your coordinator you will draw attention to yourself and your school. This is the type of attitude that (eventually) resulted in the 'extra' vacation/lenient enforcement of the contract to be stopped. As Joss pointed out, you are getting paid. Therefore if they choose to make you do it, find ways to make it work for you, study, plan, read up on new ideas in EFL/ESL or watch a movie/chat with loved ones.

Your complaining won't improve your situation. What it will do is ensure that anybody who comes after you gets a 'worse' deal, has increased scrutiny(read hoops and crap to jump through). Or is made to teach actual classes. Thanks to the previous NT at my school, I get no desk warming. I teach 18 classes a week (that is 18 new lessons each week) EVERY WEEK. I do more work in the vacation periods than all my normal classes and afterschool combined.

That said, another reason for the desk warming in my town/province is the Provincial office declaring that all part-time teacher (Koreans) and NTs must be present at school unless on vacation. Some of my friends have been given extra vacation (lucky buggers >:( :'(). Others have to make a brief appearance for an hour or so and still others just sit and desk warm. Thanks to the last opinionated NT at this school, I work, same students everyday (low level boys middle school) >:(

Keep doing what you are doing (going in late and leaving early) and don't tell anyone. That is the best advice I can give. If you broadcast your situation(that you're not there the whole 8hrs) it will hurt you and the other NTs in your area. THINK, please... :'( :( :-\ 3 more days till vacation. Sorry for the rant.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:24:59 PM by Adobe »

Offline eider

• Adventurer
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »
I agree with Adobe... and with the deskwarming and the new rules of the NEW VP at my school I have to sign in every morning (have it signed by ahead teacher who is in that day and on the days the VP is at school I also get it from him too).

Off the topic here...has anyone gotten their vacation days shortened due to half days that were taken during exam days which the school gave permissions for???
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:40:55 PM by eider »