September 24, 2018, 06:12:47 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 257715 times)

Offline YourFriendBen

• Veteran
Re: Deskwarming
« Reply #580 on: February 20, 2013, 10:32:17 AM »
Nice, yeah for me re entry of the US I am planning to visit my friend first in

Hawaii
Alaska
California
Texas
Florida
New York
then Delaware

lots of planning/daydreaming, looking on the internet of places to see, all the while settling up my things here.

btw I have some lonely planets of Europe, though a 2007 editions.
Dubai... 4 days is a lot imo, and guesthouses are bit pricey. imo make it 2 or 3 days unless you are visiting someone. I went during ramadan and boy was it the epitome of muslim culture. ...that's not what makes me suggest 2 days though, it's just that you can see the main landmarks and shopping mall in 2 days, and after that you need lots of moolah to do anything fun
Hans Gruber. Prince Humperdink. Mantis Tobogin.

Offline Suza

• Super Waygook
« Reply #581 on: February 20, 2013, 10:38:45 AM »
Making plans for trips is the best thing to do during desk warming. Thinking of far away lands!

I have the Eastern Europe LP, cheers tho!

It's actually 3 full days I'll be in Dubai for. I generally fly Emirates or Qatar back to the UK, this time I'm stopping over. I have two mates living in Dubai.
I'll be staying in a hotel whilst there, my mate is arranging it. We've already got tickets for the Burj, and will probably do a desert safari too, prefer a sand buggy to a camel tho! Had enough of camels after a trek in India.
I'm sure I can fill 3 days wondering about and sitting pool side, need it after this brutal winter!

Offline waterfall12

• Super Waygook
Re: Ideas for desk-warming
« Reply #582 on: February 20, 2013, 11:00:44 AM »
Wikipedia the plot of movies you used to see as a kid but had really no idea what was going on at the time. Then you'll be like "Ahhhhhhh so THATS why that happened" etc.

IMO you could bang out a couple of days from that.  8)

Offline arosesg

• Veteran
« Reply #583 on: February 20, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »
Research your next vacation.

Learn.  Use Coursera, Khan Academy, etc.

Meditate.

Plan your next professional step.  Update your resume, look for jobs, study for the GRE, etc.

Or, there's always Reddit. 

Offline tesoljon

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #584 on: February 20, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »
I have a bunch of things to plan going back and also trying to sort my things here before I leave. It sounds like most of you guys have a positive attitude, but tesoljon, if you showed them that you have nothing to do, and they asked you to please work on a lesson curriculum or try to help plan something for the English classes even when you're gone, how upset or wishing you still were desk warming would you be?

Don't get me wrong, I do go a little nuts with the logic that if I have nothing to do, I still need to be here. But the alternative is not very attractive; not being paid for free time that I am basically given now -or- doing other busy work at work instead of my own personal errands and spending the time in what I want to do.

I actually don't think I would mind that much. At least I would be doing something useful. If I had re-signed, yeah, I'd be working on stuff for next year. But I wasn't re-signed and I'm not being replaced, so there's nothing to leave for the next teacher. I do have my own little projects to do and tasks to take care of, but nothing I can't do from home and nothing that has to do with the school.

Before coming to Korea, I waited tables in grad school. In that job, it made sense to stick around when it was slow--you never knew when a customer would come in. There are all sorts of jobs where you have to be available and being bored is a good thing (call centers, security guards, firefighters, etc.). This isn't one of those jobs.

Besides, I wouldn't be happy if I didn't have something to complain about.  :P

Offline gamgokt

• Veteran
« Reply #585 on: February 20, 2013, 11:19:36 AM »
If you do not like deskwarming and feel that the Koreans are to blame for it, then you would be wrong. A few years ago some people were bragging online about all the days off they got during vacation periods.

Some newbies caught wind of it and started to phone the POE's and complain because they weren't being given the same treatment (regardless fo the fact that some of us longtimers earned our extras).

The word came down that everyone had to deskwarm. So blame those newbies who complained. 

Offline madison79

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #586 on: February 20, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »
If you do not like deskwarming and feel that the Koreans are to blame for it, then you would be wrong. A few years ago some people were bragging online about all the days off they got during vacation periods.

Some newbies caught wind of it and started to phone the POE's and complain because they weren't being given the same treatment (regardless fo the fact that some of us longtimers earned our extras).

The word came down that everyone had to deskwarm. So blame those newbies who complained.

This is what I saw happen.  Back in 07 I read about teachers posting stuff like no deskwarming for me.  I know for a fact that EPIK checks local posting boards for that stuff so then POE just said enough and made it mandatory.
Foreigners ruined it for foreigners.  Enough the deskwarming with good book or some time to watch those tv shows you haven't kept up with. 
I bought a huge hard drive and put all of that stuff on it. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #587 on: February 20, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
Oh - here come the seniority cards.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline Suza

• Super Waygook
« Reply #588 on: February 20, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »
I spent part of my deskwarming morning eating Japanese take out, which is funny because my Korean co-teacher had to order it over the phone for me  :P

Quality!!
I spent my morning going thru 29 pages of a google search until I found a pair of the discontinued Dr Martens boots I wanted!
Result!!!!
Desk warming is ok, sometimes!

Offline TheWB18

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #589 on: February 20, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »
Come on people, deskwarming is a great opportunity. You are being forced to sit somewhere and do *something* for 8 hours a day, for several weeks (I'm on week three). For me, this means I've:

* Written four stories and two articles, and revised two older ones for publication;
* Started taking a course on Yale Open Courses in prep for grad school;
* Listened to a dozen new albums in their entirety;
* Read a few journals I like cover to cover;
* Found or made materials for a new after school class;
* Did some supplemental planning for the curriculum I've been using;

If you're bored enough to be staring at the walls or crying, why? Are you incapable of planning activities for yourself? Do you think you're too dumb for self-improvement? Too lazy even to find a list of worthwhile movies or albums and go through them? This is weeks of outside-enforced self-discipline, it's great.

Offline waterfall12

• Super Waygook
« Reply #590 on: February 21, 2013, 08:37:15 AM »
http://www.empireonline.com/features/documentaries-that-will-scare-the-hell-out-of-you/p1

if you find yourself stuck you could do a lot worse than watch any one of these

:afro:

Offline stemarty

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #591 on: February 21, 2013, 08:42:12 AM »
play in photoshop using royality free stock images.

making PDF files of student work.

Make a book for free and have it published and printed online: www.blurb.com

Offline cheezsteakwit

• Veteran
« Reply #592 on: February 21, 2013, 08:48:44 AM »
http://www.spreegames.com/

play some interesting, fun, educational on-line games while finding some teaching ideas for your classes

Some really cool stuff here -  don't JUST look in the ESL section.

Offline gracie.devine

• Adventurer
« Reply #593 on: February 21, 2013, 08:56:40 AM »
I've been updating my town's wikitravel information because before two weeks ago there was nothing written about it. I will have the official debut on waygook when I finish^^

Offline korea20122012

• Veteran
« Reply #594 on: February 21, 2013, 09:40:17 AM »
Watch Korean movies and dramas with English subs.

http://www.dramacrazy.net

Offline korea20122012

• Veteran
« Reply #595 on: February 21, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »
 >:(

Offline livzy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #596 on: February 21, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
http://www.empireonline.com/features/documentaries-that-will-scare-the-hell-out-of-you/p1

The descriptions for those scare-docs are funny, I particularly like the 11th hour one.

Offline waterfall12

• Super Waygook
« Reply #597 on: February 21, 2013, 10:56:23 AM »

The descriptions for those scare-docs are funny, I particularly like the 11th hour one.

No way man, collapse all the way. Regardless of how batshit crazy he is, its very hard to tear your eyes away from the screen

Offline miljennifer

• Veteran
« Reply #598 on: February 21, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »
mgoon.com for reliable streaming TV shows. I just started watching Downton Abbey season 1 and Modern Family.

For productive suggestions, get a jump start on lesson planning for the semester, make a semester plan, research lesson ideas or work on your Korean at talktomeinkorean.com.

If you have a somewhat private space and some room, you could also work out or dance. Helps break up the hours of sitting at the desk...

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
Re: Desk Warming Ideas
« Reply #599 on: February 21, 2013, 11:41:40 PM »
I do think its unfair to question the work ethic of people who haven't been lesson planning. For my self and others in my area, this week was when we first learned and decided if we would be teaching the same grades as last year. I learned later in the week that the textbooks wouldn't change (my school has always reinforced textbook primary, supplement you've covered the textbook material for the day... etc).

Since they haven't changed, the material won't change and, really, the only thing needed to be planned for is tweaking what was too difficult last year, replacing what didn't work and seeking new avenues to explore the material that was hard to understand. Hardly an arduous, week-long task. (I will be making a few phonics lessons to go with the speaking part of grade three lessons, though, because the lack of phonics work in the textbook is horrifying).
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.