December 13, 2018, 11:06:14 PM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264895 times)

Offline waterfall12

• Super Waygook
Re: Deskwarming
« Reply #560 on: February 19, 2013, 03:23:52 PM »
Watching NMTB continuously is actually very bad for you. I did that during the xmas break and became an absolute jerk to all my friends reflecting its sardonic and bitter humor. Use with care  :P

Offline rockiavelli

• Veteran
« Reply #561 on: February 19, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »
http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,50453.0.html

What's your point?  Similar topic, different discussion.  If the mods want to fold the threads, they will.  You're not sheriff of the internet, kemosabeh.

Watching NMTB continuously is actually very bad for you. I did that during the xmas break and became an absolute jerk to all my friends reflecting its sardonic and bitter humor. Use with care  :P

Most of my friend are inured to those sorts of behaviors.  It took a lot of work on my part to get them there.

Offline awise923

• Waygookin
Re: On your Marks, Get the Coffee set up, Desk Warm!
« Reply #562 on: February 19, 2013, 03:36:31 PM »
I know I'm an odd one... but I'm kind of looking forward to deskwarming (although to be fair I haven't had any thus far, so I'll only have a week and a half... I might feel differently if I had to deskwarm for more than 3 weeks).  Sure I'd rather be on vacation but I'll be glad to have time to do the following at school and not have to do it at home:

1.  Study and do my homework for my MA TESOL degree
2.  Plan more interesting activities for the upcoming school year

Not to mention the endless entertainment... youtube, facebook, blogs, emailing ppl, travel sites, other country job boards, etc.

I love my students but I'm looking forward to a break from them so I can catch up on all of that stuff.

Offline TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #563 on: February 19, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »
It seriously turns me into a lethargic individual.

Offline mrbarryobama

• Veteran
  • 미국원어민
« Reply #564 on: February 19, 2013, 03:52:28 PM »
I'm on my 7th consecutive week of deskwarming. So far, I've:
* Drank dozens of gallons of coffee
* Read most of the best science fiction books according to reddit
* Started pre-studying for my Master's degree
* Daydreamed about leaving Korea (3 more Weeks!)
* Spent entirely too much time on internet forums

Honestly though, it hasn't been so bad. The only part that sucks us that we aren't allowed to have computers, and browsing the Web on a phone screen gets annoying after awhile. Still, I do enjoy being paid for doing nothing. :P

7 weeks.... how to utilise your NET's effectively Korean style.

BOGGLES THE MIND.

And now they're laying off many of you. BOGGLES THE MIND.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #565 on: February 19, 2013, 03:56:10 PM »
I am starting to lose my mind.

I stared out the window today at our empty school field for almost an hour.

I'd rather teach sixth graders than deskwarm like this.
That's bad.

But I'll definitely trade with you.

I don't think you'd rather teach 6th graders if you were doing it for a private co where they are basically your boss and are completely belligerent little  :lipsrsealed:. No child going through puberty should be anyone's boss. When I leave I dream of going down the line and saying:
"
Susie: You're ugly.
Jenny: You're going to marry a Korean some day. He'll cheat on you after work then come home and beat you. Your life will suck.
Amy: You need a nose job.
Lucy: You're ugly too, but not as ugly as Susie.
Sally: You're dumb. After graduating, you will be selling yourself on the corner of the street outside of your home.
"
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

hilarity ensues

« Reply #566 on: February 19, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »

Offline devanna

• Adventurer
« Reply #567 on: February 19, 2013, 04:04:42 PM »
been watching danisnotonfire and amazingphil on youtube like an addict.
fanfiction, tumblr, twitter, facebook, god i have no life.

Offline Nivea

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #568 on: February 19, 2013, 04:11:37 PM »
I would read fanfic, but I don't think I need 16 year old girls creeping up on me reading another trashy Lost Girl demon babyfic. I have a reputation to maintain, you know.

So its back to watching Coursera videos for me. And Facebooking of course.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:08:26 PM by Nivea »

Offline jaxije

• Adventurer
« Reply #569 on: February 19, 2013, 09:37:32 PM »
Sooooo I'm thinking of coming to work in a track suit and working out in the school gym...

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #570 on: February 20, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »
Facebook, Waygook, Reddit.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #571 on: February 20, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »
has desk warming made anyone else feel exhausted by the end of the day?  After 8 hours of doing bugger all, I just feel so tired when I get home.  You would have thought I had been running around all day instead.

Yes! When things drag on mentally, they tend to drag physically as well. I've always been able to enjoy long periods of internet surfing, but the balance is way off for me at the moment.

It's the kind of thing that has made me excited to go to a hagwon where I'll always be on my toes! Never thought I'd say that.

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #572 on: February 20, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
I suppose it depends on how you feel about copyrights but... movies have gotten me through the period with a bit less exhaustion and stress. It's shown me what movies to buy when they come out, as well.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline tesoljon

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #573 on: February 20, 2013, 09:31:11 AM »
tumblr, Waygook, imgur.

Catching up on my US television shows.

I'm at the end of my contract with this school. No more camps or anything. There is absolutely no point for me to be here. I can't even prep for my next job because I haven't been to orientation yet to see the books or curriculum. So I'm trying to make it as blatantly obvious as possible that I'm not doing anything productive.

Except that noone will notice since I'm the only one in my office.  >:(

Offline adamjay

• Veteran
« Reply #574 on: February 20, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »
http://www.philosophyexperiments.com/

Thanks.  Worthy time-killer.  They really need a comment box though, so I can explain to them that all my beliefs are perfectly consistent and philosophy is in general a priori bs.

Offline msjet85

• Waygookin
« Reply #575 on: February 20, 2013, 09:49:36 AM »
Deskwarming is the devil. I have been doing it for almost two weeks straight and I am getting delusional. Of course there is facebook, internet browsing, games, movies, reading books, and lucky for me I do homework for my Master's. BUT gosh I feel I would have so much energy if I were at home. By the time I get home I don't have much to do because I've watched everything I possibly could find at school. My contract begins with my new school soon, yet they won't let me go, even though I don't do anything. I even stopped eating lunch because I got tired of the disappointment  :sad: .

Offline YourFriendBen

• Veteran
« Reply #576 on: February 20, 2013, 09:58:35 AM »
Now I am on my mid 4th week of desk warming, and I am going home after this contract finishes at the end of February.

I have a bunch of things to plan going back and also trying to sort my things here before I leave. It sounds like most of you guys have a positive attitude, but tesoljon, if you showed them that you have nothing to do, and they asked you to please work on a lesson curriculum or try to help plan something for the English classes even when you're gone, how upset or wishing you still were desk warming would you be?

Don't get me wrong, I do go a little nuts with the logic that if I have nothing to do, I still need to be here. But the alternative is not very attractive; not being paid for free time that I am basically given now -or- doing other busy work at work instead of my own personal errands and spending the time in what I want to do.

Money is not everything, but surely it makes the logic of desk warming freak'n fantastic! imo :D
Hans Gruber. Prince Humperdink. Mantis Tobogin.

Offline gtrain83

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #577 on: February 20, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »
Desk warming? oh you mean when they leave me alone in the office to do all sorts of stupid bullshit work that doesn't matter and is a complete waste of time? If so then, yes, I am desk warming.

Offline krisnyc317

• Veteran
« Reply #578 on: February 20, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »
MONSTERFEST

I only have to desk warm this week, so this is fun. This is also why I don't have the internet at home. Keeps it from getting to repetitive

Youtube:
Dawn of the Dead, White Zombie, Noferatu, Plan 9 from outer space.

So glad I don't have any food here--or I would be FAT...

Offline Suza

• Super Waygook
« Reply #579 on: February 20, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »
Now I am on my mid 4th week of desk warming, and I am going home after this contract finishes at the end of February.

4th week? Fair play! I'm on my 3rd day and it bores me.

I'm in the same situation, I'm leaving Korea in a few weeks. I'm spending my time researching the places I'm going to. Got a 4 day stop over in Dubai on the way home, then a 1 month train trip from Berlin to Thessaloniki through Eastern Europe.

Already got work lined up for June, and I'm applying for teaching jobs that will take me elsewhere come September. 

And then sit off and watch stuff. Started watching Touch recently, quite decent.