December 14, 2018, 12:30:40 AM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264908 times)

Offline profmiscreant

• Veteran
Re: Hows the desk warming going?
« Reply #500 on: July 26, 2012, 07:48:29 AM »
The principal/vice principal/head teacher tells you to leave and not get into any trouble until after 430. I used to be in that boat, and it was sweet. Things changed last year though, but I don't mind desk warming all that much. Took an online class last summer, and wrote a book last winter in my spare time!

Offline papayapie

• Super Waygook
  • H8SK
« Reply #501 on: July 26, 2012, 08:02:43 AM »
My desk warming hasn't started yet. I'm waiting for the bomb to drop that I can't go home early after camp next week, so I'll be desk warming from 12:10 to 4:40. I also have to desk warm for three days after my vacation. I don't mind, though. They're paying me to study for the LSAT and re-watch Lost for the 9th time.

Profmiscreant - I am actually planning on working on a book during winter break as well! I started it before I moved to Korea and haven't had the chance to write much since, so I'm actually excited for that.

Offline RogueFishFood

• Veteran
« Reply #502 on: July 26, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
I love deskwarming! Much of my free time at home is spent watching tedtalks and surfing the internet anyway, so it's basically the same as what I'd do at home, with fewer naps (though not zero) and a lower electricity bill.

Offline Songwon

• Veteran
« Reply #503 on: July 26, 2012, 01:06:33 PM »
I have plenty of personal stuff to work on, so if the school wants to pay for my electricity usage while providing me a nice quite place to work with few distractions, I can deal with it.  On the other hand, the futility of the whole thing really gets to me.  I really can't stand doing things that have no point, and there is no point in me staying at school for almost five hours after camp ends.  I can't even really lesson plan since I don't know enough about what I'll be teaching next term and since I don't even know who my co-teacher will be - no sense planning stuff now when 3/4 of it might well change by the time I actually teach it. 

Offline JeremyC

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #504 on: July 26, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »
I'm enjoying being paid a salary for looking at what I want on my computer and drinking coffee in a comfortable environment. Also being able to come into work totally hungover and not facing a single student or teacher (otherwise I only drink Friday and Saturday). I worked bloomin' hard this semester so I deserve to take a break for a few days.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

Offline kake

• Waygookin
« Reply #505 on: July 26, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
I've only been in Korea about 2 weeks so it's all pretty new.  Find myself with a lot of computer time and NOTHING specific to do.  What exactly does the principal think I'm doing?

Offline bawaugh

• Super Waygook
  • Let's have fun teaching the 4th grade.
« Reply #506 on: July 26, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »
I've only been in Korea about 2 weeks so it's all pretty new.  Find myself with a lot of computer time and NOTHING specific to do.  What exactly does the principal think I'm doing?

Your job.

If there is no work that is his problem. Any way we work for the board of education, not the school he does not choose us, they did.

We may moan about desk warming, but do we want it stopped?
PV=nRT

Where
P is pressure
V is volume
n is number of moles
R is the gas constant
T is the temperature

Offline Chicagohotdog

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Ketchup? Get outta here!
« Reply #507 on: July 27, 2012, 07:56:34 AM »
I'm doing "vacation classes"...because we can't call them camps even though I was told to plan the same way that I did for camps which means movies and games...alright, I can do that...

There are about 4 days at the end of "vacation classes" before my vacation starts and I STILL don't know if I'll have to be at my desk for them or not...we'll see.

On the plus side, I've completely used to deskwarming.  I have no classes on Thursdays so I usually sit and plan those days anyway so I'm used to all of this.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

Offline seanathon

• Adventurer
« Reply #508 on: July 27, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
I only have 1 day (today) of deskwarming this summer. My main project today is to clean out the fridge and unplug/clean it. I have a box of Capri Sun, 4 frozen milkshakes, and a case of those little yogurts to go through. We just got a whole bunch of new DVDs delivered too so I think I'll put a few movies on.

I actually like being here during the day so I can utilize the AC since it's so hot this week.

Offline One Bomb

• Adventurer
« Reply #509 on: July 27, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »
Last day of desk warming today (only had to do 5 days) then I have about a month off.

Still, I don't actually mind it, to be honest, it usually encourages me to do something productive with my time.

hilarity ensues

« Reply #510 on: July 27, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »
I agree with the AC-- it's too hot to actually do anything anyways, so I'm happy to be keeping cool and not paying for it.

If I didn't have AC here I would be at home, even if I'm technically supposed to be here. If I didn't have it in my summer classes I probably would have already snapped... I seriously do not understand why someone would even come to a voluntary summer English class if all they're going to do is complain, play on their cell phone, and speak Korean-- and not even switch to English when reading numbers.

Offline bawaugh

• Super Waygook
« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »
I agree with the AC-- it's too hot to actually do anything anyways, so I'm happy to be keeping cool and not paying for it.

If I didn't have AC here I would be at home, even if I'm technically supposed to be here. If I didn't have it in my summer classes I probably would have already snapped... I seriously do not understand why someone would even come to a voluntary summer English class if all they're going to do is complain, play on their cell phone, and speak Korean-- and not even switch to English when reading numbers.

It is likely that some parents send their kids to us for the free child care. After all they get little Kim/Park/Lee out of the house for 4 hours and out of their hair. Throw in the benefit of some English practice - I recall reading of one study that said basically that students learn something even with a bad teacher it's not a bad deal. It gets even better if your family is poor and can not afford the lessons. My co teacher said one reason kids go to Hagwons is to meet other kids otherwise who do they play with.

My mother was sent to bible study/Sunday school as a child partly because it was a cheap form of childcare, rather than being for her spiritual growth (although I imagine her folks also thought that a bit of moral education would not hurt).   
PV=nRT

Where
P is pressure
V is volume
n is number of moles
R is the gas constant
T is the temperature

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »
For people who answered "Don't tell anyone, but I'm not actually at work," I want to know: how do you get away with it?

Flasyb: So school finishes on the 20th but what about the week after. Do I have to come in?
CT: No, you have done a good job so I think you deserve a vacation.
Flasyb: What do you mean a good job?
CT: You have never been to hospital.

In context, I'm quitting 2 months early so my CT decided to just give me some vacation instead of making me go in and work (or not work) - he's currently teaching Summer classes himself. He's cool like that. I do stuff like plan camps at the drop of a hat, produce camp books, don't go to hospital, and I even did two weeks of after school classes (7pm - 9pm). In return, he gives me a Summer vacation that I may not be entitled to on account of me quitting early.

That said, I've never had to deskwarm. I usually just teach "camp" (Summer classes for my high school students) all Summer - I did 5.5 weeks of camps and Summer classes last year. I can come and go as I please when I'm not actually teaching.

I say can, I mean could because I'm now pinishee!
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline ADB123

• Veteran
« Reply #513 on: August 23, 2012, 11:57:44 AM »
I find desk warming tiring. I see no point sitting at a desk with no work. Surfing the internet all day fries my brain.

Offline loswillyams

• Super Waygook
« Reply #514 on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
Scored some pages from "Convict Conditioning", so working in some body weight exercises and dynamic stretching throughout the day. Not too bad at all.

Offline bawaugh

• Super Waygook
Ideas for desk-warming
« Reply #515 on: August 24, 2012, 03:29:18 PM »
I am interested to see if there are some good ideas to fill in my desk warming time.

I can think of

Lesson planning (When I get the mood)
Errands (got to visit hospital for the medical cert.)
Internet surfing
Trying to sleep at your desk (I don't feel like using the English classroom).
Watch YouTube
Study Korean (stopped that for a while)
Sew (my co teacher has been doing that and watching YouTube).
Read (2 unread English magazines)

What other things do people do during their exciting (and I know somebody is saying you have got to be kidding me) desk warming? I am looking for a few more ideas to fill up my time.
PV=nRT

Where
P is pressure
V is volume
n is number of moles
R is the gas constant
T is the temperature

Offline loswillyams

• Super Waygook
Re: Ideas for desk-warming
« Reply #516 on: August 24, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »
body weight exercises - check out convict conditioning.
stretch.
practice juggling or small sleight of hand magic tricks, things that involve coins and pens. you can use these talents to impress people when you're bored or the students.

Offline chasmmi

• Veteran
« Reply #517 on: August 24, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
Write a book

Offline 0mnslnd

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #518 on: August 25, 2012, 05:26:41 AM »
Play "desk warm prison break".

How to play:

1.)Walk around in the school area and identify all the cctv cameras.
2.) Write down and memorize the number plates of the people at school who are potential police officers to you, e.g. vice-principal, main co-teacher, etc.
3.) Observe to see if there is anything else that can count in your favor -or against you as you plan your escape route.

Now...
4.)Depending on the circumstances... plan your escape route and for how long you are going to escape from school.

If you escape plan is successful for 2 hours or so, you are free to walk around in downtown/shop/play screen golf/ take pictures in the park/go home and do laundry.

Hint: If you have a car, NB: never park inside the school during vacation deskwarming.

You can be creative too. Every school is different. E.g, you could go to the office where most of the teachers pretend to work and be diligent(while they are actually doing internet shopping) and pretend to do something yourself, like printing something, for 5 minutes or so. Just to make sure they've seen you and that you "are there, at school." Then... leave!
Out. Never been happier

Offline pearlitaPP

• Explorer
« Reply #519 on: August 25, 2012, 05:30:10 AM »
If you're thinking of going back to school / completing more certifications, you can study for your GREs/LSATs/MCAT, etc.  Boring, but a good idea!