December 11, 2018, 04:09:49 AM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264617 times)

Offline let's_do_this

• Adventurer
What to do during a desk warming?
« Reply #460 on: March 12, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
I'm so bored here. What can I do to pass the time or be more productive or just not yawn every 2 minutes. I can only be on facebook so long. Besides, my co-teacher is giving me my first riddle in this country: "Rest and don't work so hard but don't just sit there either." Then what am I supposed to do? Help.

Offline Wintermute

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • High School - Speech
Re: What to do during a desk warming?
« Reply #461 on: March 12, 2012, 04:27:33 PM »
Learn how to be a better teacher. Read books or watch videos about teaching to help give you ideas about what you can do in the class room.

Heres some videos:

1) This is a 8 parter. It starts off slow, but give it a chance, it gets better.

2) This is a 6 parter. Geared more towards elementary teaching but still has some good stuff.

3) A good watch that demonstrates how games can be used effectively in the classroom.
    http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/gamifying-education

4) This teaches about tangential learning, which I base all my lesson plans off of now.
    http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/tangential-learning

You could also...

• Make Powerpoints, how do you think games like K-POP Slam and Apples to Apples came about? It started with hundreds of hours of me desk warming.
  • Maybe learn Korean....?
  • Write a book, or a blog. Write a big enough blog and turn that into a book.
  • Watch other foreign teachers teach, see what they do that you like and don't like.
  • Put a box on your desk for students to put letters into. Gives you something to read and respond to. 
  • Take more pictures of student activities and turn those into some sort of slide show. Your kids will hate it at first, but then start to look forward to it from week to week.
  • Learn basic graphic design. I have seen so many cringe worthy powerpoints and worksheets on waygook that actually disrupt student learning. Learn small things like use of color, text placement and sizing, and the proper use (or disuse) of images.

Whatever you do, just make sure you are working for your students. Unless students send you e-mails through facebook, there's no need to be on.

Offline maryamat

• Newgookin
« Reply #462 on: March 13, 2012, 08:44:02 PM »
Learning Korean will help you tremendously!!! I find myself in your same situation on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, so I learn korean on those days. Check out this web site : wwww.talktomeinkorean.com . My students find it very funny when I tell them "be quiet" "hurry up" or "hold on" in korean. It also motivates them to learn English. Good luck!
MM

Offline vw08

• Super Waygook
« Reply #463 on: March 14, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »
It depends if you want to do something related to teaching or not.  Learning Korean, working on PPTs/games for class and becoming familiar with the book are all great ways to pass time while still working.  Before I dive into doing my own thing, I always ask my co-teachers if there is anything they need help with, be it planning or developing activities.

Have you used Prezi for presentations, learning how to use it can help make your presentations more interesting?

Is there a possibility of teaching extra afternoon programs at your school?  I teach an advanced class at my school 3 afternoons a week and planning for it takes up a good chunk of time.

If you are looking for non-school related things to do, there are several threads about options.  Some of my favorite are checking up on what is going on in Korea, planning for my next trip/grad school, writing postcards home and reading books on my Kindle. But these are more applicable for long term deskwarming, like during student vacations.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #464 on: March 14, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
I'm so bored here. What can I do to pass the time or be more productive or just not yawn every 2 minutes. I can only be on facebook so long. Besides, my co-teacher is giving me my first riddle in this country: "Rest and don't work so hard but don't just sit there either." Then what am I supposed to do? Help.
You could always search waygook.org for "deskwarming".

I tried "talktomeinkorean" but the self-absorbed host pissed me off (and the fact that the two hosts flirt like elementary school kids). I've started a language learning prog through my american library.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:29:53 AM by Jrong »
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline jenilyn8705

• Veteran
« Reply #465 on: March 14, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »
I'm kind of in a similar boat at the moment. I'll have to check out those youtube videos that are posted above, as I've been looking around for little resources for ESL teaching ideas.

What I've done so far... listen to podcasts.  I've found a few on linguistics so I can better understand the English language.  LinguisticChris is a good one.  There are a few lectures on there too that I haven't checked out.  I've also been reading and have downloaded a few ebooks of ESL games.  Also, if you find a Rosetta Stone for Korean -- jump on that.  Unfortunately, I only have mine on my laptop and its not quite convenient to bring it to school every day, but if you happen to have an ipad or tablet of some sort I know a past co-teacher of mine would study on his.

I could tell myself "prep! prep! prep!" but when its a public school and I only see the same group of kids once every week and a half so a lot of it is repeats there is only so much you can do yet.

Offline genius_advice

• Veteran
« Reply #466 on: March 14, 2012, 03:02:54 PM »
Memorize  your students' names, duh.
Names go a long way.

Offline let's_do_this

• Adventurer
« Reply #467 on: March 16, 2012, 01:17:02 PM »
Ok, thanks for the advice everyone!  ;D Many of the advice was very helpful and gave me actual resources that I can't wait to check out. I plan on being on this site more, coming up with more lesson plans and use various methods to study Korean. By the way, I do have Rosetta Stone but it's stuck on my laptop too.  ;) I'm sure with these I find something that'll help me be a better teacher in school and resident in Korea. However, some things said on here is, well...extra. :-[

I love that there are some people who, like me, want to make every use of their time but just didn't know how. I'm glad I reached out for your help and many of you answered back. So once again, Thank you!

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Super Waygook
« Reply #468 on: March 16, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »
Read the great works of western literature.

http://throughthegreatbooks.wordpress.com/2011/01/

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #469 on: March 22, 2012, 07:56:01 AM »
 Do an online TESL TESOL lots of schools are now requiring it

Offline vroberts

• Explorer
« Reply #470 on: March 26, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »
My copious downtime is spent on lesson planning and learning Korean at the moment. I have been known to misplace a few hours on Facebook chatting with friends back home though. ;D

Offline Bulgogi

• Veteran
« Reply #471 on: March 26, 2012, 11:48:21 AM »
Learn how to be a better teacher. Read books or watch videos about teaching to help give you ideas about what you can do in the class room.

Heres some videos:

1) This is a 8 parter. It starts off slow, but give it a chance, it gets better.

2) This is a 6 parter. Geared more towards elementary teaching but still has some good stuff.

3) A good watch that demonstrates how games can be used effectively in the classroom.

4) This teaches about tangential learning, which I base all my lesson plans off of now.

You could also...

• Make Powerpoints, how do you think games like K-POP Slam and Apples to Apples came about? It started with hundreds of hours of me desk warming.
  • Watch other foreign teachers teach, see what they do that you like and don't like.
  • Put a box on your desk for students to put letters into. Gives you something to read and respond to. 
  • Take more pictures of student activities and turn those into some sort of slide show. Your kids will hate it at first, but then start to look forward to it from week to week.
  • Learn basic graphic design. I have seen so many cringe worthy powerpoints and worksheets on waygook that actually disrupt student learning. Learn small things like use of color, text placement and sizing, and the proper use (or disuse) of images.

Whatever you do, just make sure you are working for your students. Unless students send you e-mails through facebook, there's no need to be on.

Wow...I told my main co-t about the "letter box" idea and she absolutely love it!  Thanks a lot man.

Offline kim.freeke

• Waygookin
« Reply #472 on: March 27, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
Great idea about the letter box. However, if you are looking for something a little different, www.stumbleupon.com is an AWESOME website. It literally takes you to web pages that you didn't dream existed. I find it quite inspiring for adding a twist to my lessons. Lots of "did you know" etc.

Offline tangerineboy

• Explorer
« Reply #473 on: March 28, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »
It is important to look hard-working in Korea, there is nothing else to do, though.
Open any power point and pretend to work on it while you open utube as well.
then, no way to solve that riddle.

tweedfingers

« Reply #474 on: March 28, 2012, 07:45:39 PM »
OP, perfectly legit post but with all due respect, one working adult to another, avoid using the term 'bored.'

Offline oxoboxo

• Waygookin
« Reply #475 on: March 29, 2012, 07:44:49 AM »
I agree with tweedfingers, boredom is a luxury. I usually use my no-class days to catch up on articles, videos, and other posts I haven't read and saved up for a rainy day. These include comedy podcasts, wikipedia articles, thought catalog, tumblr, pinterest, khan academy, matador network, 9gag, and the like. If there was ever a time to learn how to cook a duck or learn about the job benefits of king crab fisherman, deskwarming would be the time :D

Offline Brian

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #476 on: March 29, 2012, 07:59:32 AM »

Heres some videos:

You could also...

This, all of it. 

Deskwarming can be an annoyance (read the dozens of threads already on the topic), but there's no excuse for not being productive. 

To review, you can:
* Study Korean
* Put together some lessons for next term, and especially stash away some for when you have an "oh by the way you need to teach this class in five minutes" class.  If you think you might have to do a summer or winter camp later, use this time to see what lessons and ideas are already out there.
* Go through a TEFL certification course.  The merits of them have been debated a lot on this site, but find one you think will help you in the classroom.  And if you expect to be deskwarming again in a future semester or in another year, plan ahead and enroll in an online TESOL certification course through a proper university if you expect to be teaching for the long haul.
* Ask your co-teachers if there's anything you can do to help them. 

Not to lecture, but most jobs you'll have will expect you to know how to occupy yourself productively when you don't have anything urgent to do, or when you don't have any students, or when you don't have any clients, customers, etc.  Teaching English in Korea can sometimes feel like it's not a "real" job, but there are things you can do to boost your own sense of professionalism about it.
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Visit me: http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com

Offline Jumpman Jr.

• Veteran
« Reply #477 on: March 30, 2012, 07:37:02 AM »
Study Korean like a mad-man.
It's hard at first, but once you get into a routine, you'll see your skills improve dramatically. Whenever I do move on in my life and get another job, I'm going to be wishing that I had upwards of 2-3 hours a day to sit here and do whatever I want. Learning is a great thing to do.

If you have a lot of lessons to plan, then obviously lesson planning is a good idea. But if your like me, and only teach one unique lesson a week, and using lessons you taught last year, then you have all day to learn Korean.

Offline artista44

• Explorer
« Reply #478 on: April 03, 2012, 05:59:37 AM »
Learning Korean will help pass the time and help you to get around more easily. That can get old after a while, but it's worth a shot.

Offline Sasha

• Explorer
« Reply #479 on: April 03, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »
study classroom commands in Korean, might help in classroom management