December 11, 2018, 03:17:36 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264609 times)

Offline rach229

• Veteran
Re: Desk Warming Ideas
« Reply #440 on: November 22, 2011, 01:08:08 PM »
Just found out I will be deskwarming most of the winter break and during that time I will be typing up conversations from a Korean TV show and I will be typing up a book! Seriously?!!!? I will listen to a book in English and then type it out!! WTF :o >:(

Offline bb

• Super Waygook
How do you utilize your desk-warming?
« Reply #441 on: January 27, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Today I got to:

Printed out 522 page book on Chinese characters
Payed my gas bill on line
Studied Japanese about an hour or so
Played chess with a favorite student
Stepped out for lap swim at the community pool
Printed out my airline ticket
Emailed my mom
Watched some you-tube
Read up on caring for my houseplants
Random pickin' n scratchin' plus the occasional empty gazin'

How's your desk warming going?

Offline bb

• Super Waygook
Re: How do you utilize your desk-warming?
« Reply #442 on: January 27, 2012, 10:55:07 PM »
On the limited only by my imagination tip... is it too late to add: Arm wrestled Brock Lesner and  then impressed Kim Yeon Ah with my large collection of Thelonious Monk recordings and to top off the day  saw the  Bhudda in each and every living thing?

Cuz if it's not too late, I did that stuff too.

Offline Peekay1982

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #443 on: January 27, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »
I finished desk-warming last week. I finished a novel! I'd already written 30,000 words or so. I got 20,000 finished during the three weeks I was desk-warming.

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #444 on: January 27, 2012, 11:25:09 PM »
Now I'm watching Top Gear and drinking some cheap German Pilsner.

Let's face it Rusty; life could be worse!

Offline grajoker

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #445 on: January 28, 2012, 05:33:12 PM »
I think there is a dozen or so page thread on this already. But I'll bite.

Really, you're only limited by your imagination. I woke up at mid day. Drank a beer. Went to emart and bought a HDD to download some shows and movies for my sister and her daughter. Bought the last block of Mainland cheese  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ and some cheap German Pilsner. Now I'm watching Top Gear and drinking some cheap German Pilsner.
If you don't have one; do a TEFL  course it is becoming a requirement ...

Daejeon

« Reply #446 on: January 28, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »
I make things to make our lives easier.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #447 on: January 28, 2012, 07:40:14 PM »
I make things to make our lives easier.

...& I for one (though I'm sure many others do too) appreciate you for it!
 :)

Offline overdrive2023x

• Adventurer
« Reply #448 on: January 29, 2012, 07:40:29 PM »
What do the principal, vice principal, or other administrative staff EXPECT you to do during the desk warming periods? Just lesson plan?

Offline Squire

• Super Waygook
« Reply #449 on: January 30, 2012, 05:59:43 AM »
Read, sleep, play computer games, drink coffee, smoke, study Korean, mindlessly browse the internet. I do the same things when I get home in the evening

Offline eggplant_tyrant

• Super Waygook
« Reply #450 on: January 30, 2012, 08:22:34 AM »
What do the principal, vice principal, or other administrative staff EXPECT you to do during the desk warming periods? Just lesson plan?

This has always been my question. Assuming the people above me on the food chain are leading by example, I should be reading a newspaper, watching videos on my computer, taking hour-long coffee/chat breaks several times a day, and surfing the internet. This is, of course, assuming I don't have any immediately pressing tasks, and that the VP isn't nearby -- when he's around, you look busy. The principal's more easygoing.

What I'm actually doing: 50/50 between messing about online (netflix, waygook, facebook) and making material for my after school classes. I'd be making stuff for next year, but nobody saw fit to provide me with a copy of our new books, and there's no one here to ask. I'm also reading through "Teach Like a Champion," which is definitely worth picking up if you think that teaching is something you'll be doing for more than a year.

Offline SpaceRook

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #451 on: January 30, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »
What do the principal, vice principal, or other administrative staff EXPECT you to do during the desk warming periods?

Just breathe.

Those wanting to improve themselves might want to look at MIT OpenCourseware or Khan Academy.  They have tons if free lessons.   Just google it.

Offline Bulldogs12

• Veteran
« Reply #452 on: January 30, 2012, 09:24:28 AM »
I'm reading, browsing the internet, drinking coffee and eating snacks in a lonely and freezing cold staffroom (but I brought a blanket and a heater into my office today). :D

Offline luciddreamer

• Adventurer
« Reply #453 on: January 30, 2012, 01:30:31 PM »
Are you guys finished with winter English camp, but still required to come in and deskwarm?

I have friends who have to stay only in the mornings or afternoons, and others who have to stay all day... :-[

Offline Jamface

• Adventurer
« Reply #454 on: January 30, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »
What do the principal, vice principal, or other administrative staff EXPECT you to do during the desk warming periods?

Just breathe.

Those wanting to improve themselves might want to look at MIT OpenCourseware or Khan Academy.  They have tons if free lessons.   Just google it.

Wow SpaceRook these look amazing! Thanks.

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #455 on: January 30, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »

Just breathe.

Wow SpaceRook these look amazing! Thanks.

Checked those out today too.  At the age of 35 I found studying anything at the BA level on the MIT Humanities site redundant; had already covered it all through my own personal reading.  Bar Some of the science (chem and bio) and math of course.  But I have zero interest in those.

The languages courses look great though, I checked out their Chinese course and it has the full courseware and multi media resourses availble.  Basically their whole BA Chinese Lang degree course from 2006 (or 2003.)

Pretty neato.

Will start it tonight.

Ni Hao!  Wo sher Yingao Ren!

Offline Tayteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #456 on: January 31, 2012, 10:56:32 AM »
SpaceRook, thanks!!

this site is great!!

Offline catfish99

• Adventurer
« Reply #457 on: January 31, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »

Offline traveloshity

• Veteran
« Reply #458 on: January 31, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »
I scowl at my co-workers (foreigners) who moan out loud that they have nothing to do and that their head will explode as they are so bored.

Really?  You are complaining about being bored?  yet you are getting paid for it?  Tell that to the people who don't have a job.   

I write for one of the magazines in Seoul so spend a lot of time prepping and writing for that.  I do a lot of research and spend a lot of time just mindlessly searching the internet.  Desk warming is a blessing!

Offline edu+smart

• Veteran
  • EDU+Smart
« Reply #459 on: February 04, 2012, 08:42:34 AM »
I used to spend a lot of time planning for the next term, however, as I have been doing this for years, and the school doesn't seem to really challenge me anymore, I spend much of my time watching Weeds or Sopranos re-runs. I also manage an NGO in Korea along with a business... So that eats up a lot of my free time.
Waste of server space and bandwidth = http://www.waygook.org/