December 11, 2018, 03:52:20 AM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264613 times)

Offline rainesbaines

• Veteran
Re: Desk Warming Ideas
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 02:56:22 PM »
I'm sure we could devise some sort of outsourcing system to spread the work around during the break.   8)

Offline infogoddess

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2010, 08:41:12 AM »
and in case you like Belle and Sebastian, their Glasgow Holiday Concert is available on NPR

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/22/132088913/dec-21-belle-and-sebastians-holiday-spectacular&sc=nl&cc=mn-20101223

it makes a great background while cleaning the classroom
"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert

Offline JuliusCaesar108

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2010, 09:34:58 AM »
If you're school has a scanner, I'd recommend using it to make ebooks out of books you already have - that way you can do reading with your class.  At least at my school, I have a number of students but hardly read to them because I don't have a large eBook library.  Start making 'em for your school's use only (I don't recommend sharing it because that is copyright infringement, but if your school already owns the book it should be okay).
"In my forty-fifth year I, Julius Caesar, witnessed wonderful and frightening things that were to take place in a time that has not yet taken place."  - The Apocalypse of Julius Caesar

Offline red

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2010, 09:52:23 AM »
working on the Twelve days of Deskwarming and then I remembered this

enjoy

HAHAHA!! I enjoyed watching it for my deskwarming :P

Offline sheila

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2010, 10:13:22 AM »
Decorate your classroom in the holiday or seasonal spirit...
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

Offline amn34

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »
Decorate your classroom in the holiday or seasonal spirit...

You know you're an English teacher in Korea when you can read one sentence on another teacher's board and know she's doing a lesson on Kung Fu Panda! :P

Offline Ectofuego

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2010, 11:12:52 AM »
I started decorating my classroom and was than told I have to take them down.  No decor allowed anymore
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

Offline teachermc

• Super Waygook
  • 어...이메시지 이해했네? 한국말 잘 하네...
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2010, 11:18:41 AM »
I started decorating my classroom and was than told I have to take them down.  No decor allowed anymore

The situation is the same at my school.  The school is only two years old and the English classrooms were "professionally decorated" complete with street images of "English places" (Italy and Germany in reality), including a picture that shows front-and-center a sign that says "SEX SHOP."  When I pointed the sign out, the "professionals" put a visible patch over the word 'sex' and wrote 'pizza.'  It's the most creepy 'pizza shop' I have ever seen.  So, who are we to decorate?

Offline amn34

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2010, 11:29:21 AM »

The situation is the same at my school.  The school is only two years old and the English classrooms were "professionally decorated" complete with street images of "English places" (Italy and Germany in reality), including a picture that shows front-and-center a sign that says "SEX SHOP."  When I pointed the sign out, the "professionals" put a visible patch over the word 'sex' and wrote 'pizza.'  It's the most creepy 'pizza shop' I have ever seen.  So, who are we to decorate?

AHAHAHHAHA, I'm literally laughing out loud.  My room is decorated with massive pictures of Jesus.  DEFINITELY not my choice.

Offline red

• Veteran
Desk Warming
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »
Just wondering...how's your deskwarming going??
I'm still stuck here in school.... :'(
keeping my desk warm..huhuhu

Offline theronfau

• Explorer
Re: DESKWARMING
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »
ye me too just finished watching the NBA

Offline JuliusCaesar108

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
I don't have many chances to deskwarm.  Even with the few days I have without classes (like today), there are still camps to prepare for.
"In my forty-fifth year I, Julius Caesar, witnessed wonderful and frightening things that were to take place in a time that has not yet taken place."  - The Apocalypse of Julius Caesar

Offline Ectofuego

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2010, 03:29:49 PM »
Watched
Man, Woman, Wild - 2 episodes
Auction Kings - Season 1
Movie - Masterminds
Pawnshops - 1 episode
Documentary - Life After People

Games
www.bored.com
www.I-am-bored.com

Spamming waygoog
becoming a illustrous grandmaster of facebook
emailing
making postcards
Installing updates on computers
fixing surrond sound speakers in the school auditorium
requesting certain english books be added to the school library
made new book for afterschool phonics class in spring
slept on couch in office
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

Offline isanghan

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2010, 03:41:06 PM »
I planned my trip to Hong Kong.
Then I watched "大兵小將" ("Little Big Soldier") on www.mysoju.com.
I ate a lunch of my choosing.
I drank coffee.
I drank more coffee.
I just finished another coffee.

Oh, yes, and I also finished up the materials for my Winter Camp.
(And I found out that I have 5 vacation days that I'm still entitled to.)

Happy Christmas!

Offline plain.scrambled.eggs

• Waygookin
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2010, 05:46:31 PM »
I don't get to deskwarm during vacation:-\ I have to teach two different kids of camp by myself. One is an intensive camp for my special class and the other is just regular camp for the other kids. I didn't even get an extra planning day.

I am looking foreword to those deskwarming days in February!

Offline msqueen888

• Adventurer
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2011, 10:37:26 AM »
      Was late to deskwarm today b/c someone decided to back out into the street without looking and although I laid on my horn they didnt seem to notice.  BAM! Nothing too serious.
   Then get a text from my coteach saying "isnt it your working day? i dont see you here".  I text back and say "late car wreck." 
       A few minutes later I arrive at school, go into my office say "hey" to my coteach.  She doesnt reply, doesnt ask if I'm okay or what happened.  UGHH! 

Would you consider this extremely rude? I'm a little pissed right now!

mteacher

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »
I am deskfreezing too..   My co teacher (who is also supposed to teach some kind of camp this week) just informed me that she will only be back on Thursday... wondering whats happening to her camp...  I also get to sit here until 5pm.. which sucks since all my friends get to go home after their camps.. :( boo-hoo

twitch

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2011, 10:44:20 AM »
snhanks888 :  sorry, i know you are pissed but i am giggling at your post because i was 10min late to desk warm today.  but stopped for a bagel, and then had to wait 15min for a bus..  myk fault. 
but....when i came in i got the evil eye and asked why i was late.  i almost laughed in her face.  it's just so absurd it's comical.  i was 10min late to sit at my desk and fb/google/play games all day.  LOL!

isanghan :  can you tell some details about your hong kong trip.  i was just sitting here debating if i could afford to go there in a few weeks.  flights?  hotel?

ah, i brought a new book today called "the rape of nanking".  wow!  truly horrifying real accounts of the slaughtering of about 300,000 chinese citizens in 1937.  japan invaded and massacred them.  wow.  i recommend googling if you've never heard of it....but it's really graphic and disturbing, great history lesson though.  i think they are making a movie about it now with christian bale

Offline glitterstarbeau

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
I was supposed to be teaching camp, but no students showed up.  Now my coteacher thinks my vacation might get cancelled.  I had a lot of fun activities planned out and everything ready, too.  Ah, students, I'm sorry you'd rather be playing Halo than coming to English camp.

mteacher

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »
I was supposed to be teaching camp, but no students showed up.  Now my coteacher thinks my vacation might get cancelled.  I had a lot of fun activities planned out and everything ready, too.  Ah, students, I'm sorry you'd rather be playing Halo than coming to English camp.

Why do they want to cancel your vacation?!!?!?!