December 13, 2018, 11:35:38 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264902 times)

Offline hol87

• Explorer
Desk Warming my way to the top!
« Reply #380 on: August 30, 2011, 09:06:17 AM »
Hello people who understand my English!
I'm an EPIK teacher and I just started (it's my second day at school) and all I've been doing so far is sitting here and looking pretty. I've been told I "have a face like a movie star" so I must not be doing too shabby at this looking pretty thing, haha. I'd like to start doing more, such as lesson planning, but I haven't seen a class yet and I don't want to lesson plan for something I know nothing about, ya know? They told me I'd start on Thursday so I have one more day of nothingness and then I can get started. Anyone else experiencing something similar? Or is anyone in Gimcheon or has been before and has some tips about places in this "small" town? Looking forward to hearing from you!

Offline Merryone

• Super Waygook
Re: Desk Warming my way to the top!
« Reply #381 on: August 30, 2011, 09:16:36 AM »
you didn't mention what age group your teaching. do you have text books? what is your objective? for example, I teach middle school (I teach at three schools) and i have no textbook and my objective--as defined by my co-teacher--is to prepare a game and have fun with english. at my two elementry schools, my objective is to teach the textbooks they provide. I try to supplement with games and make this as fun as possible. you should find out what is the average number of students per class, whether there is a textbook, and what the objective is. and what your schedule is, how many classes per day,  (how many lesson plans to prepare) and if/when you have afterschool activity class and how many students. I would put this time to good use. sorry, I don't know anything about the town where you live. I live on the rural and southern island of Namhae.

Offline megharp

• Explorer
Re: Desk Warming my way to the top!
« Reply #382 on: August 30, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »
Hey!  I've had a very similar experience.  My first teaching day is Thursday as well, so I've been sitting here trying to read the dull teachers guide and looking around while every other teacher around me rambles in Korean.  Pretty fun.  I live in Gangnam and my school is in Banpo!  I'm trying to lesson plan a bit, but it's hard when I haven't seen the class.  How many times a week do you see your students?  Mine works out to 3 times.

Offline mcpherson.tyler

• Adventurer
Re: Desk Warming
« Reply #383 on: August 30, 2011, 10:07:27 AM »
Watch movies or TV shows... no one will be at your school while desk warming. Make nice with whoever makes the decision for desk warming (mine is my head co-teacher) and maybe they will only make you come in for half days or even better, not at all! Good luck. I am in the same boat as are practically everyone else

Offline dak002

• Explorer
« Reply #384 on: August 30, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »
Another good idea would be to study Korean - maybe a Rosetta Stone if no one is really around so you can practice speaking - or studying for a grad school exam like the GREs, LSATs, etc.  I'm farily certain that you can take both of these exams in Seoul.

Offline kendrabridgers

• Explorer
« Reply #385 on: August 30, 2011, 10:28:21 AM »
Check out prezi.com...its like ppt but online.  It's a little tricky at first but once you get the hang of it it's pretty cool.

Offline The_Skyo

• Explorer
« Reply #386 on: August 30, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »
I am also desk warming at the moment. I dont want to play games as school is in session and teachers coming in and out seeing me playing all day would not look too good. I am waiting to have a meeting with my co-teachers before I start but they are too busy to have said meeting..

Offline candace

• Waygookin
« Reply #387 on: August 30, 2011, 12:46:01 PM »
The only thing worse than desk warming is desk warming in a freezing cold office!

Offline Merryone

• Super Waygook
« Reply #388 on: August 30, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »
The only thing worse than desk warming is desk warming in a freezing cold office!

usually I'm wearing a sweater and the other teachers are teasing me. today I just have a t-shirt. forgot the sweater in the car. these koreans love their air con. why am I always off temp??? lol

Offline Merryone

• Super Waygook
Re: Deskwarming is bad for your health.
« Reply #389 on: August 30, 2011, 01:02:27 PM »
Some health problems that can be exacerbated by desk warming:

- improper posture
- joint problems (my keyboard and mouse setup is not ergonomic at all)
- vision problems from looking at a computer screen for long periods
- circulation and skin problems

Do yourself a favour and give your body regular breaks from your desk.

I agree totally! however you forgot radiation exposure. potentially deadly for the female reproductive cycle.
http://www.lessemf.com/computer.html
http://www.orgoneenergy.org/wifi-radiation-shield
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:05:34 PM by Merryone »

Offline tua12921

• Explorer
« Reply #390 on: August 30, 2011, 09:55:04 PM »
I just started teaching and haven't had the pleasure of desk warming as of yet. The beginning is so busy!

Offline rmteach

• Explorer
Re: Desk Warming Ideas
« Reply #391 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:05 PM »
It seems like the time to find the resources that are most suitable for your lesson schedule and just create a small pool of ideas for future reference.

Offline Hungtran177

• Waygookin
« Reply #392 on: August 31, 2011, 08:08:20 AM »
Thanks for the info and website. Should keep me busy during desk warming.

Offline jrich0410

• Adventurer
« Reply #393 on: August 31, 2011, 09:58:36 AM »
I would go on youtube and look at old films that are now public domain. Old Mickey Mouse cartoons were good too, plus some of the old cartoons are useful in class.

Offline sfulweb

• Explorer
« Reply #394 on: August 31, 2011, 10:52:46 AM »
If you are out of ideas for lesson planning, try looking back at your old lessons and refine them for future use. What worked, what didn't, what can be done better.... things of that nature.

Offline charlyinkorea

• Explorer
« Reply #395 on: August 31, 2011, 12:01:39 PM »
I was going to say lesson plan but I think someone already mentioned that haha. You can plan what you will do every weekend for your entire stay in Korea!

Offline vinny

• Waygookin
« Reply #396 on: August 31, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
I write music reviews for a website, it's a bonus to get things done that I usually have to do in my own time...

Offline lostandfun

• Explorer
« Reply #397 on: August 31, 2011, 01:13:24 PM »
I think Rosetta Stone's the best idea I've heard.  Hopefully there are a few other people around like the security guard or janitor to practice what you learned.

Offline maurice2406

• Newgookin
« Reply #398 on: August 31, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »
After two days of desk warming I am now trying to plan some lessons but the text books seem to lack clarity, not really sure what the key words I should be teaching are or how to go about it.

Offline TaraMac

• Explorer
« Reply #399 on: September 01, 2011, 10:48:46 AM »
Lesson Plan & Plan for Summer Camps...

AND

http://pinterest.com/

http://www.stumbleupon.com/

8)