December 13, 2018, 11:49:47 PM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264905 times)

Offline Spongeblob

• Super Waygook
Re: Desk Warming has begun...
« Reply #340 on: August 02, 2011, 03:27:28 PM »
Why, when I first began teaching we didn't even have desks.  We did all our teaching standing up and we didn't have classrooms then either.  We had to teach in the woods and we didn't have students either.  We had to teach ourselves about teaching and a right proper job we did.  If you have a desk to warm you should consider yourself lucky.  Now I've got to walk a billion miles uphill in the summer snow to my home so I can do 25 hours of lesson planning for the next day.  I'll be on my way now and I'll be carrying my desk home on my back.   :)

Offline tigershark

• Explorer
Re: Deskwarming - What do you do?
« Reply #341 on: August 02, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
I used to hate deskwarming so much.  This should help you guys.  It lets you play old nintendo games via flash.

www.virtualnes.com

random vids
www.break.com

www.damnyouautocorrect.com

that's about all i got.  Don't forget your torrents.  Holler

Offline DejaVu

• Super Waygook
« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2011, 07:37:46 PM »
Why, when I first began teaching we didn't even have desks

I'll be on my way now and I'll be carrying my desk home on my back.   :)

You liar!  Or is it an imaginary desk (for proper training in the teaching techniques) that you are carrying?

Offline Spongeblob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
Why, when I first began teaching we didn't even have desks

I'll be on my way now and I'll be carrying my desk home on my back.   :)

You liar!  Or is it an imaginary desk (for proper training in the teaching techniques) that you are carrying?
We had to make our desk from the woodland trees and stick them together with spit and blood.  Why we didn't even have trees back then.  We had to grow our own.  Why we didn't even have blood back then.  All we had was piss and vinegar.  We had to make our own piss but the vinegar was actually reasonably priced at Costco.   :)

Offline andyfoggy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #344 on: August 02, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »
do a TEFL online course and get a pay rise next contract of W100,00 a month :)

Offline hankmcmasters

• Super Waygook
« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »

hilarity ensues

« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2011, 05:48:38 PM »
Wikipedia, this site, youtube, planning, being bored, planning revenge on my enemies.

Offline jkim7609

• Adventurer
desk warming
« Reply #347 on: August 04, 2011, 12:02:41 PM »
I just want to ask if anyone has to stay at their school until 4:30. I want to get some pointers of wha tpeople do if they come to school. If you come to school, do you just stay in the morning and then leave?
I just want to know other peoples situation.
thanks

Offline Jozigirl

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: desk warming
« Reply #348 on: August 04, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »
The only difference between the semester and the vacation period is the number of classes I teach.  I know a lot of people only have to deskwarm in the morning.  I still finish school at my usual time although I have classes until 5pm fore three weeks of the vacation period.

Offline Gunpo_Erin

• Super Waygook
« Reply #349 on: August 04, 2011, 02:14:13 PM »
for the last 2.5 weeks I have been desk warming/finishing the prep work for school camps- those happen next week.  THEN I have city camps for 5 days and then i come back to school to desk warm for another week before leaving Korea for good!

bored out of my skull!  and I work 8:20 to 4:40 M-F
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:50:43 PM by Gunpo_Erin »

Offline SpecialK

• Waygookin
Desk Warming
« Reply #350 on: August 05, 2011, 12:01:06 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else has been caught in this situation recently?
I'm with EPIK in Busan and just started my 4 week summer camp (solo) this past Tuesday. My school, located in the country side, is at least an hour public bus commute. My school provides a school bus and at first my principal and vice principal decided since I live so far that I could take the school bus home at 12:20 everyday when my classes were finished. Unfortunately, this only lasted 1 day. :( The office of education came to my school to check the foreign teacher's attendance and found out they were letting me leave at 12:20. The office of ed notified my school that's not allowed and now I'm stuck here every day until 4:40. This is my 3rd year with EPIK and I've never ever had to stay so this came as a bit of a shock! It wouldn't be so bad if there were other people here, but there's only 3 other teachers, in the other building who don't speak English.  I know there's many others who are stuck desk warming, but I think doing so for 4 weeks is a bit much!  I'm assuming there's no way around this, but just wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
Thanks!! :)

Offline ganstar

• Veteran
« Reply #351 on: August 06, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »
Wow, this is my 3rd year and I have had to stay all day each camp. Oh, my last camp they let me go 40 minutes early.

I'm at a new school this year and thought I would take a  chance and ask the VP if I could go after camp. A few days of staying back I was going mad this time.  He politely said no.

So it's second week of camp they are building a gym on the fifth floor, above the English rooms. Power tools going all day. So I asked the Principal, in broken Korean, if I could go home. He said yes. And it is so nice, like a mini holiday. My co is going to flip when she finds out, she is a contract Nazi.

Now that you have stayed back for a few days, perhaps you could approach P and VP and ask to go. A secret between all parties.  Obviously they are somewhat understanding of your situation, having said yes at the start of camp.

Offline jgmenator

• Veteran
« Reply #352 on: August 07, 2011, 10:42:11 AM »
I randomly got this past week off as "special leave" from the principal, so no desk-warming yet. The catch was I had to prepare 5 lessons revolving around a special topic (basically creating a 2nd mini-camp).

It didn't count as "paid leave", so it didn't force any of my vacation days, but I am curious to know if I got docked any pay...

So yay, one week off, but for the next two weeks I'll have a  day-care class. Yaaaaaaaaay  ::)

Offline Nics

• Waygookin
« Reply #353 on: August 08, 2011, 10:42:44 AM »
Hey, I'm in exactly the same boat, except I am TOTALLY alone because the English room is in a separete building. I must be honest and say that I use this as relaxation time: watch movies, sleep (I brought a yoga mat, sheet and pillow to school) and read.

Offline SpecialK

• Waygookin
Re: Desk Warming....suggestions??
« Reply #354 on: August 08, 2011, 01:00:03 PM »
Yeah, it's made me realize how lucky I've been for the past 2 years!!! I waited for the bus on Friday for about 40 minutes and it never came! :( So I had to wait for a taxi which thankfully came down those dusty, deserted roads and cab it home! My English room is also in a separate building and I'm the only one in this building! It has been some nice relaxing times but so boring at times! But hey, I guess we're getting paid to do nothing so that's pretty great!! Good luck with the rest of the desk warming and your camps!! :) :)

Offline Laura T

• Waygookin
« Reply #355 on: August 08, 2011, 02:45:33 PM »
whew sick of deskwarming! 2 more days to do so!

I re organized my materials, printed out some class lists,
goofing around internet sites again again again
chat with my friends on msn..

pretended to prepare for my LP for next semester...

awk

wanna go home!

Offline Uhfotis

• Veteran
« Reply #356 on: August 09, 2011, 09:02:03 AM »
Study Korean!!!!

Offline red

• Veteran
« Reply #357 on: August 11, 2011, 08:35:42 AM »
I just want to ask if anyone has to stay at their school until 4:30. I want to get some pointers of wha tpeople do if they come to school. If you come to school, do you just stay in the morning and then leave?
I just want to know other peoples situation.
thanks

In my previous school, 4:30 is 4:30. That school was very strict. My break from school are just my 8 day -vacation in summer and 10 -day vacation in winter,literally.
With my current school, I am free to leave the school as soon as my classes end. And I don't need to teach in all the days of summer.

Offline sunrise

• Adventurer
  • Dare to be remarkable.
« Reply #358 on: August 17, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
I did a lot of deskwarming for many days prior to summer vacation. Now I have to teach summer "camp" from 9-12:30, Mon.-Fri. I get to leave after that, so no deskwarming in the afternoons during vacation period. The catch is that I have to teach summer camp for three weeks during summer and four weeks during the winter vacation period.  >:(  Is this even legal??! I know I have to teach camps, but it seems like most NETs teach camps for only 1-2 weeks.
Put your future in good hands - your own.

Offline yeti08

• Super Waygook
« Reply #359 on: August 17, 2011, 01:57:33 PM »
I also have 4 weeks.  Though the days I teach them I told my boss I should be allowed to leave at 8 instead of 9:30 instead of deskwarming.  She agreed, though she didn't seem too thrilled about it.