December 13, 2018, 11:00:33 PM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264894 times)

Offline nkrider

• Waygookin
Re: Deskwarming - What do you do?
« Reply #320 on: July 13, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
I play chess online sometimes. Spela schack.com is free.

Offline ntlwng

• Adventurer
« Reply #321 on: July 13, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »
I planned my lessons, wrote in my diary, read books, and wrote long emails to my friends back home. I would IM on Skype and sometimes I'd take long walks outside of school through the markets if they were open. I also learned to read Korean during those times.
I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. (Wilde)

Offline Tuuuesday

• Explorer
« Reply #322 on: July 13, 2011, 04:39:52 PM »
I am about to move over to Korea and start my teaching in August. How much of your day tends to be spent desk warming? Do these sessions generally give you the chance to lesson plan or do you find that it's so quick and easy organising your week that the desk warming sessions are a complete waste of time?

Cheers :)

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #323 on: July 13, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »
I am about to move over to Korea and start my teaching in August. How much of your day tends to be spent desk warming? Do these sessions generally give you the chance to lesson plan or do you find that it's so quick and easy organising your week that the desk warming sessions are a complete waste of time?

I wouldn't say the time when you have no classes during regular term time is "desk warming" per se. Desk warming usually refers to the Winter and Summer breaks when you have to come to school and sit at your desk but the majority of teachers in your school have vacation time.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline profmiscreant

• Veteran
« Reply #324 on: July 14, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »
...start penning your memoires....

Offline Pin

• Veteran
« Reply #325 on: July 14, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »
I haven't started deskwarming yet, but this is the current plan (in order of importance).

1 )   Plan lessons/Make teaching aids
2 )   Study Korean
3 )   Play with Powerpoint
4 )   Read
5 )   Draw
6 )   Facebook
7 )   E-mail
8 )   Play with Flash
9 )   Deskercise
10 ) Clean/Arrange things
11 ) Count Calories
12 ) Do Origami/Collect the fruits of this labor in glass jars
13 ) Play with Finale Notepad
14 ) Take a nap
15 ) Watch video tutorials of various things even if I do not plan to utilize the featured skill
16 ) Take camera phone photos of myself and various things around the office at stupid angles
17 ) Collect said photos and transform them into a mountain of photoshop filter vomit
18 ) Take the edited photos and use them to create a high-contrast photo deskwarming story
19 ) Make phone ringtones using indie douchebag music
20 ) Office.  Dance.  Party.

Hopefully, I won't have to make it too far down this list.   It gets pretty bleak towards the end.
히라리 히라리

Offline smileseoul

• Adventurer
  • Love life!
« Reply #326 on: July 14, 2011, 03:32:39 PM »
Sit on the toilet, break something so I can try and repair it again, cut things up, farting, make drum noises with my mouth, invent girls names for hurricanes, cry with laughter at the state of my finances, sit round the campfire and get drunk, plug in my marshall stack and play LOUDLY, count my finger and toenail clipping collection. The list is endless. Most activities become lessons eventually. Don't give up.

your hilarious... the system is hilarious!
love it

Offline TimorousMe

• Waygookin
« Reply #327 on: July 25, 2011, 12:27:39 PM »
Metafilter is always good for at least an hour of my day

Offline jaysoon17

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #328 on: July 25, 2011, 03:24:57 PM »
My last week of summer school is this week. I get my two weeks of vacation, and then I do one week of deskwarming before the
new semester starts. What I'll be doing during that deskwarming time are the following:

1. Prep for the first two weeks of class for the new semester, so I can be two weeks ahead every week until the next vacation
comes.
2. Try to finish up my book
3. Relax and ponder about the world.
4. Study
5. Contemplate about life in Korea
6. Read articles on the internet
7. Listen to music
8. Try to find more English games online and find more resources for class
9. Walk around the school every hour

Offline CraigSJ

• Explorer
« Reply #329 on: July 25, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »
I almost never do prep work while I'm at work, even if I have blocks of several hours at a time to do it. I always save it for home, and just waste time online at work. This is partly because my internet connection at home has been hit and miss lately.

Offline aldritg

• Veteran
« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2011, 08:55:59 AM »

If I actually used my desk warming time in a positive way, I'd probably be a much better, more well-rounded  person.  I could read some classic novels, get a head start on lesson planning, learn more Korean, figure out how my students do that trick where they flip the pencil around their thumb. 

Instead I sit around on waygook, watch youtube, facebook stalk ex-girlfriends, and once all that is done I usually have at least a couple of hours left over to hate myself.

So the answer is it's only a waste of time if you decide to waste your time.  I, personally, prefer this to actually getting anything done on most days of the week.

Offline DeMayonnaise

• Veteran
« Reply #331 on: July 26, 2011, 09:35:35 AM »
Read my University's sports message board. Since it's late at night back home, nobody posts much while I'm at work..

Play cards online.

Read travel blogs and plan my trips.

Talk to friends on facebook. Comment on every little thing on facebook. Link every article I read on facebook. "like" everything on facebook. Update my profile on facebook. facebook, facebook, facebook.

Open youtube and click on a random video. See where it takes me.

Listen to music.

Duck out of the school to the store next door and buy a snack.

OH, and maybe, sometimes, lesson plan. 71 more days in Korea!! Can't come soon enough...

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
  • I'm a knight of my own republic.
« Reply #332 on: July 26, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »
cracked.com and tvtropes.org

Watch the hours melt away!  8)

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #333 on: July 26, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »
For post-camp deskwarming, last year I made a font suite. This year I think some colourful grammar and phonics posters are on the agenda, or maybe a phonics workbook template (so I can make pages that go beyond a-z). I tend to find there's always something lacking in terms of resources so come up with a project to finish it.

Once a headway's been made on the current project for the day, procrastination begins. Last year a large chunk of my travel photos got arranged and consolidated.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline richarquis

• Veteran
« Reply #334 on: July 27, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »
For school, I'm learning new PPT and Excel techniques for game making. That and fixing up my packs of spinners (little spinning arrows on a numbered disc - Dice tend to end up as projectiles, so I favour the spinners) after classroom wear and tear. I'm one half of the "Richard and Mike" videos, so I'm also shooting new stock footage for between dialogue filler scenes.

For myself... Reading. Back and forth between a collection of interviews with Noam Chomsky, and Umberto Eco's brilliant "Foucault's Pendulum." Studying Korean grammar, and photography tutorials. Even brushing up on my Russian, which has been sidelined too long since living in Korea. Enjoying the luxury of being able to wear short sleeves while the kids are away. (I keep my tattoos covered during semester.) And enjoying the calm, quiet school, while it lasts.

Offline Jozigirl

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #335 on: July 27, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »
Deskwarming?  What's that?  I'm lucky if I have an hour at my desk where I'm not working on something that has to get down asap at school...

Offline Shinsegae

• Veteran
« Reply #336 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:29 AM »
so its desk warming season and im in school with no-one to talk to(headmaster is here along with the admin team who dont speak english). last year i played online games to pass the time but at this new school almost every interesting website is blocked and i have nothing to do. ive already planned my lessons for the next semester.

im just wondering, in my boredom, what everyone is doing while being forced to come to school and waste time.
내가제일잘나가

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #337 on: August 02, 2011, 11:37:58 AM »
I watch documentaries!
documentaryheaven.com

I also watch some science ones at atheistmedia.com but if you are religious, you might not like the side cause they also have pro-atheist stuff, but not all of it.

I also study Korean. There are tons of websites for that, or you can pick up a book at any big bookstore if you are interested in that.

Facebook games are blocked at my school, but not facebook.

You can always register and download stuff from warez-bb.org or something like that.

And there is always cleaning, eating, and sleeping!

Offline aiden

• Adventurer
« Reply #338 on: August 02, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »
I give summer camp and do "special classes" that have been set up for me to do so that I can fulfill my 22 hours of teaching per week. Oh, wait! I don't have any desk warming time :o

You are a lucky SOB!

Offline Jozigirl

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #339 on: August 02, 2011, 12:26:43 PM »
I'd kill for deskwarming time! I have a constant stream of work that finds it's way to my desk in addition to the summer classes. 

If I had deskwarming time, I'd use the hours to catch up my blog entries, read a few books, listen to music, study Korean, etc.