October 20, 2018, 08:26:51 AM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 258967 times)

Offline jameshbarnett

• Veteran
Re: The reason for desk warming
« Reply #300 on: June 20, 2011, 02:08:30 PM »
Why would you still go into school if you were told not to?

My co teacher said its because inspectors might come to school. Does this actually happen?

Offline Pin

• Veteran
« Reply #301 on: June 20, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »
I am not sure about the reason for deskwarming, but it seems like people in general view it as a waste of time.  I understand that the thought of spending hours at work with nothing to do seems irritating.  However, there's a way to turn this into something positive.

If you don't like to waste your time being bored at a desk, bring things to do.  Clean your desk/classroom/teacher's room.  Organize your shelves.  Plan future lessons.  Make teaching aids.  Read a book.  Study something that you're interested in.  Learn a new skill.  Draw.  Knit.  Bring movies to watch.  If you can't watch them on your school's computer, then bring your laptop.  Anything is better than just doing nothing, right?  You might as well benefit from this in some way.
히라리 히라리

Offline speaktruth2pwr

• Waygookin
« Reply #302 on: June 20, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
To all those who don't understand the fundamental complaint re: deskwarming.

Public school teachers are paid as a function of time (8 hours a day) and classes (22 per week).  There is no room in the contract for merit.  That being, if you are efficient and plan your lessons, prep for camp, study, read some books, watch a movie every day, and still have 2 hours a day to kill; you might find the need to complain. 

Korea is not a meritocracy. 

I know that the I can use my time more efficiently if left to my own devices, but trying to explain that to a public school system that doesn't bother to fail students who do 0% of the work, is like trying to not be stared at on the subway.

Offline ecoecho

• Adventurer
« Reply #303 on: June 20, 2011, 09:05:32 PM »
To all those who don't understand the fundamental complaint re: deskwarming.

Public school teachers are paid as a function of time (8 hours a day) and classes (22 per week).  There is no room in the contract for merit.  That being, if you are efficient and plan your lessons, prep for camp, study, read some books, watch a movie every day, and still have 2 hours a day to kill; you might find the need to complain. 

Korea is not a meritocracy. 

I know that the I can use my time more efficiently if left to my own devices, but trying to explain that to a public school system that doesn't bother to fail students who do 0% of the work, is like trying to not be stared at on the subway.

I second that; thank you for your apt response.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #304 on: June 20, 2011, 10:19:33 PM »
I think this thread has run its course and cruisemonkey's answer addressed the OP's original question best. It serves as a warning to certain NETs who get extra privileges: don't publicly brag about them because it may cause others to suffer later on!

Deskwarming is preposterous and maybe if we complain to the MOE/EPIK enough it'll change. In the meantime, try to think positively about it (paid to do nothing; catch up on things; etc.), although I know it's difficult to do so. Also bear in mind contracted Korean English teachers also have to do it, too. Thus, it's not exclusive to NETs. 
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline boeta777

• Veteran
Deskwarming - What do you do?
« Reply #305 on: July 06, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »
what  will you do when you have no classes all day?

Offline Tony05

• Waygookin
Re: Deskwarming - What do you do?
« Reply #306 on: July 07, 2011, 11:30:43 AM »
That is what I was going to ask. I just got a new position in a high school. I have been here for 2 years and have all my materials. Then I found out that this is a high school with students so low that they should all be in kindergarden. So now I am wondering what to do? Are there any suggestions aside from the facebook. thing. In one school I actaully watched movies, but this schol doesn't want you to do anything but work. I have 3 classes a day, how much work can I put into it, when half the students, a class of five, do not even show up?

Please, any help would be great.

Offline Lana86

• Newgookin
« Reply #307 on: July 07, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »
This is the best time to plan lessons and make games  ;)  but if you don't want to plan a trip it's fun!!!

http://www.phuket-travel.com/

Offline Lana86

• Newgookin
« Reply #308 on: July 07, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »
or try this      http://www.veetle.com/

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #309 on: July 08, 2011, 10:25:52 AM »
wow..you guys are lucky.  I still have classes for another week.  I cant wait to deskwarm!  ;D
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

Offline shader42

• Explorer
« Reply #310 on: July 08, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »
I just discovered project free tv! type it into google and it will the first thing that come up, then watch movies, wish I had discovered this sooner.

Offline Cereal

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Awwww man!
« Reply #311 on: July 08, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »
I start in a couple of weeks. I think I'll spend the time pounding away on the wicked set of drums this school has and get my chops back.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

Offline alwaysgood

• Veteran
« Reply #312 on: July 08, 2011, 01:39:34 PM »
Haven't started desk warming yet.  I have 3 weeks of summer camp, so might not have to do much of it.  I will mostly do work-related stuff, study, check the news, facebook, waygook, and if there is still time... kongregate.com flash games.

Offline sean_teacher

• Explorer
« Reply #313 on: July 11, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
Read. As much as I can. I'm reading about how to maintain a motorcycle, AND ENJOYING IT. Also, this http://www.ted.com/

Offline Kaypea

• Veteran
« Reply #314 on: July 11, 2011, 03:21:24 PM »
What I should do:

-Plan for the first couple of weeks back after summer.

What I'm doing:

-Micromanaging details for my upcoming trip.  heheh.

Offline yeti08

• Super Waygook
« Reply #315 on: July 12, 2011, 02:26:43 PM »
Reading, studying Korea, & planning vacation.

Still hate deskwarming.

Offline chowdahead

• Explorer
« Reply #316 on: July 13, 2011, 08:02:53 AM »
I generally read cooking blogs and save recipes for later. Also dread the dozen inevitable "Is it delicious???" questions from random Koreans in the school. At least they're taking an interest, I guess.

Offline SuwonROKs

• Veteran
« Reply #317 on: July 13, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »
This year I've made it my goal to study Korean for at least an hour everyday.  With the remaining time, there is reading but I also use a great site to watch documentaries online.  If anyone is interested, here's the site:
http://freedocumentaries.org/

This one is pretty good, too
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/

For those of you interested in Korean TV, www.mysoju.com is a site that has loads of asian shows with English subs.

Offline marelize87

• Explorer
« Reply #318 on: July 13, 2011, 12:47:22 PM »
read, and planning afterschool classes!

Offline elspeth

• Veteran
« Reply #319 on: July 13, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
I generally read cooking blogs and save recipes for later. Also dread the dozen inevitable "Is it delicious???" questions from random Koreans in the school. At least they're taking an interest, I guess.
Do you then bake these treats for your friends and bring them to social gatherings?