December 13, 2018, 01:25:43 AM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264787 times)

Offline rabidkoala

• Explorer
Re: The reason for desk warming
« Reply #280 on: June 16, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »
I really can't be upset about desk warming. I get a lot of reading done, and I've started volunteering through the Internet. It's great to get paid to catch up on my reading.

Offline dolphingurl2022

• Veteran
« Reply #281 on: June 16, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »
Pretty much like all the above according to your contract you must work your 40 hours a week even if that means staring at the wall or whatever at school for 8 hours a day.  The one who decides to be nice and let you go home early or for some schools, not come at all for summer/winter days is your prinicipal.  Some principals are awesome and let you take a break from desk warming....others (like mine for example) follow the 40 hours in the contract so even if i don't teach that day and even if there are no teachers at school i would still have to come in.  Every NET in Korea is required to be at school but it's up to your school to let you "take a rest" or not. 

Contract teachers also have to come in and at least for my school (not sure in general) but the new teachers in their first year at the school have to also come in for their 40 hours a week or whatever it is.

If you desk warm just bring lots of things to do because lesson planning really doesn't fill up an entire day/week for most NETs.   

Reader

« Reply #282 on: June 16, 2011, 07:53:28 PM »
At my last EPIK (elementary) school, the MOE vacation checkers went around each school in my city to see if each teacher, including me the NET, was legitimately deskwarming or AWOL.  I was at a provincial English intensive camp at that time about 130 kilometers away working 12 hours a day, when the MOE vacation checkers thought I was AWOL.  Someone called my administrative KT and he had to run downstairs to the principal's office with all of my documents signed by all the right people proving that I had official permission from all levels to go to work at that intensive away English camp, ironically, for the MOE of my province. 

Offline pak yu man

• Veteran
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2011, 12:23:53 PM »
I love the way everyone is mentioning contracts.  Since when have contracts been all that important to a Korean?  Even they will tell you that they are guidelines, not set in stone.  I think it's more due to the fact that Korean teachers (some) are pissed at foreigners and the lesser workload they have.  So they make the Waegookin pay in other ways.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #284 on: June 18, 2011, 12:31:58 PM »
I love the way everyone is mentioning contracts.  Since when have contracts been all that important to a Korean?  Even they will tell you that they are guidelines, not set in stone.  I think it's more due to the fact that Korean teachers (some) are pissed at foreigners and the lesser workload they have.  So they make the Waegookin pay in other ways.

As mentioned earlier, Korean English Teachers under contract like us have to deskwarm, as well. The ones at my school think it's preposterous, too.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline cat fud

• Adventurer
« Reply #285 on: June 18, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »

Can you give us an example of your school failing to honour your contract?

Offline cruisemonkey

• Expert Waygook
  • You could be next!
« Reply #286 on: June 18, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »
There are several reasons for desk warming - the main reason being it is a legacy of the stupidity of previous NETs.

The following is necessarily a generalization, but 'in a nutshell' -

When I first came to K-land (August 2005), desk warming was unheard of; and, the average PS contract 'officially' provided "28 working days" of holidays. Some schools required a one or two-week camp of their NETs during the summer and/or winter school vacations. However, the majority NETs had the entire vacation off (up to each individual school principal). It was very common for those who were 'money hungry' to get a second job at a 'Summer/Winter Camp' and collect two salaries for a month... or if they weren't, go to Thailand for six weeks.

However, human nature being what it is, those who had no camps bragged... and those who had camps complained (instead of seeking a job/school with no camps) saying "It's not fair!” The Ks aren't stupid and weren't about to give the complainers more time off -  very few, if any, were meeting their contractual time anyway (they could leave at 12:30 when they finished their camp) - so the Ks introduced mandatory camps and desk warming in the interest of 'fairness'. Nobody won anything (not even the Ks). Everybody 'lost'.

Of course, the people who brought all this about aren't here anymore... 
::)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:18:10 PM by cruisemonkey »
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Offline pak yu man

• Veteran
« Reply #287 on: June 18, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »
Seriously?  You've never heard of Koreans not being honorable?  This has nothing to do with school.  I never have nor ever will work for EPIK.  It's just the Korean way.  Koreans like to screw people businesswise.  Take a look at SamSung recently.  The company I work for has ties to them so they were also audited last week.  Even Koreans automatically think this way.

My past experiences

not being paid on time (hagwons and a private H.S)
nickle and dimed to death (hagwon, H.S and uni)
very creative time keeping (every job including company work and part time company work)

The list is too long. 

The best...I have a friend that runs a school in Vancouver with his K-wife.  Any nationality has to pay 50% up front and 50% when class is finished....except Koreans.  She doesn't trust them (being a Korean).  Been here 13 years and I wouldn't trust a Korean businessperson to be honest if my life depended on it.   Am I jaded?  Nope...I just know what's going on and what to expect.  You ask any F-visa that works extra outside work and they'll tell you to get as much $$ as you can before you are screwed.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #288 on: June 18, 2011, 07:13:23 PM »
Please stick to the topic, which is deskwarming.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Reader

« Reply #289 on: June 19, 2011, 07:21:12 AM »
Well, in GEPIK, when I worked there before I moved to EPIK, deskwarming was not the result of stupid NETs, but the fact that the provincial Education Office told the local education offices, who then told the various public schoosl which had NETs to follow the contracts more closely because some NETs started bragging about not deskwarming on-line and other NETs started asking how that was so in on-line forums..  The Education Ministry then did their best to close that loophole.  But, some NETs today still make private deals with their schools about how their vacation time is arranged and handled, so they don't have to deskwarm so much, and so they can also get a large block of time off to go travelling with their friends or family during that time.  Another reason I believe why deskwarming has become an issue is that the local Education Offices simply want to get their money's worth out of us.  Plus each year GEPIK, EPIK and SMOE appear to refine their NET management policies more and more as they go through more and more NET-related problems and experiences building up more and more internal policies and procedures about how to manage their foreign employees better and better (from their perspective).  That's my two won.

Offline cruisemonkey

• Expert Waygook
  • You could be next!
« Reply #290 on: June 19, 2011, 08:07:45 AM »
... deskwarming was not the result of stupid NETs, but the fact that the provincial Education Office told the local education offices, who then told the various public schoosl which had NETs to follow the contracts more closely because some NETs started bragging about not deskwarming on-line...

If that isn't stupid, what is?
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Offline southernman

• Veteran
« Reply #291 on: June 19, 2011, 08:22:38 AM »
From what I've heard crusiemonkey and reader have hit the nail on the head,  it's probably a bit of both, some NET's complained about the fact they were deskwarming when other NET's weren't. Head office heard about it and reacted accordingly.   Cruisemonkey pointed out those NET's that did complain are most probably long gone,  or if they're still here, will no doubt never admit to the fact they were were the instigators of the problem. 

As reader said some western teachers still get a reasonable vacation time through re-signing negotiations or by their individual contracts with a PS, whereby the school and NET bypass the usual POE contracts.

This has no doubt been mentioned but the rumour is EPIK is thinking about giving us unpaid leave during vacation time. Personally,  I'm all for it.   The more time I have to holiday overseas the better.  One of the main reasons I came here in the first place was to travel to different Asian countries during my vacations.

Some people can handle deskwarming and others literally hate it.  I was in the latter category but have got used to it now.  Still,  I'd much rather be relaxing on a Beach somewhere.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:05:15 AM by southernman »

Offline cruisemonkey

• Expert Waygook
  • You could be next!
« Reply #292 on: June 19, 2011, 09:07:26 AM »
I've watched the 'desk warming' issue evolve over six years. I used to cringe when reading posts on 'Dave's' where people bragged about not having to do camps and belittled those who did. I'd also cringe when those who complained would post 'all smug & happy' that their particular school district/MOE/POE had taken action in the interest of 'fairness' and destroyed what was a good situation for the majority of NETs (who kept their mouths' shut). In many cases, those who complained inadvertently 'shot themselves in the foot' and found themselves 'desk warming' after camp was finished (when they didn't have to before their complaints). They created a lose-lose situation.  ::)

Edit: It's gotten to the point where most PS contracts contain a clause stating 'cumulative' personal time totaling more than eight hours will result in loss of at least one day of 'holidays'. People are asking here if others are allowed to walk around their school grounds when they don't have a scheduled class. What's next… ankle bracelets for NETs?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:38:40 AM by cruisemonkey »

Offline Cereal

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Awwww man!
« Reply #293 on: June 19, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »
I fully expect to spend my time desk-warming. I am not thrilled about it but it is the contract I signed thus I will be a good employee. I plan to spend my time usefully however; I will pound away on the wicked set of Pearl drums my school has. Getting paid to play drums, just like the days of my youth.

Memories.........of rock and roll days gone by.......
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

Klogical

« Reply #294 on: June 19, 2011, 09:40:14 AM »
im just as much bemused by the existence of deskwarming as i am about the people who copmlain and make a fuss

to my mind,  the contract says x,y,z  and we should fulfill that as much as we expect our employers to - if this means a few months sat doing nothing then thats what it means - its part of the job - no argument.. and its not a particularly bad part of the job either. ......

....at least when i consider my previous employers in the uk who squeezed every minute out of me.

on the korean side if they want to propogate wasteful government spending then thats their problem.

As government employees charged with teaching english to koreans I am more surprised they arent shipping us out to places like hospitals, community centres and other government/municipal units to give english lessons to their workers as well as the summer/winter camp stuff. theyd reimburse us for travel and we would be still working our normal contract hours.....

as for its existence?? id say its probably got more to do with a fault at the top level. Rather than coordinate, direct and run a centralised national english program, with a proper brief and nationawide targets with academics and practitioners heavily involved in the planning and execution of it....etc etc .........they throw money at us and devolve all responsibility to the schools... so in essence they become a fund not an educational enterprise and rely on PR exercises to keep itself going..

Offline cruisemonkey

• Expert Waygook
  • You could be next!
« Reply #295 on: June 19, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »
As government employees charged with teaching english to koreans I am more surprised they arent shipping us out to places like hospitals, community centres and other government/municipal units to give english lessons to their workers as well as the summer/winter camp stuff. theyd reimburse us for travel and we would be still working our normal contract hours.....

They could. However, because the vast majority of NETs are here on an E-2, they'd have to change the Immigration Act first.

Klogical

« Reply #296 on: June 19, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »

[/quote]

They could. However, because the vast majority of NETs are here on an E-2, they'd have to change the Immigration Act first.
[/quote]

Indeed, they could ....and they probably should tbh..........I dont see how a small ammendment to any government statute pertaining to a particular government contract - that they drew up in the first place - should cause seismic problems. 

in any case they probably dont even need to change the immigration act - just change our contracts ...doing that should satisfy e2..........  I mean im certainly not complaining, I benefit from this,- I just think they could do better to get there moneys worth...

Offline andyfoggy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #297 on: June 19, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
at the end of the day, when you do get told to go home at 12:30 or that you can take the whole summer off travelling in Thailand don't go on facebook/waygook.org/twitter and tell us about the weather at the beach and how good that cold beer is because I remember how good it was before people started doing that and this desk warming started :(
the same goes for summer camp, if you don't have to do one keep it to yourself
also for camps, we used to get paid a LOT but after some high school teachers complained about not getting extra camp money we only get paid for time after 4:30pm :(
again as previously posted these moaning teachers have probably long since left

Ochodnid

« Reply #298 on: June 19, 2011, 03:30:29 PM »
I still don't see the downfall to desk warming and I don't get why people cry about it so much. We get paid, to do our jobs? I guess some of you could just ask to get paid less and not desk warm, but then people would complain about not making enough money.

I love my "me" time. Getting paid to read, lesson plan, enjoy free A/C, work-out, study, etc.

Offline jkim7609

• Adventurer
« Reply #299 on: June 19, 2011, 08:16:55 PM »
Deskwarming sucks. This is my fourth eyar teaching at an elementary school. I ahve to desk warm if there is no camp or not in my vacation time. What do i have to do when I get to school? Of course people can get ready for the 2nd semester work. Maybe study or get ready for the 2nd semester materials. Thats all I can think of. What does other people do when they are deskwarming?