December 13, 2018, 11:28:26 PM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264901 times)

Offline happyface

• Adventurer
Re: Deskwarming - What do you do?
« Reply #260 on: May 23, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »
I bring my external hard drive to school and organize my music perfectly on itunes, until I can't stand it anymore. Then I read articles, try to find games for school, read posts on waygook and listen to music.  :)

Jeff Winston

« Reply #261 on: May 23, 2011, 09:38:09 AM »
Work!

There is no such thing as done with lesson planning. There's always more that can be done. What better time?! Rather than trying to figure out how to otherwise occupy yourself, think of ways to teach your students more efficiently.

I wonder if this person is for real.  If so, just goes to show some "teachers" here are in fact crazy!

Yep, it's those that feel they want to improve on the job they are paid to do that are nuts right?

Offline CorbenDallas

• Adventurer
« Reply #262 on: May 23, 2011, 09:38:57 AM »
crack out on youtube, make a zillion flash cards of korean words, read, watch movies, and maybe slip in my psp if i think i can get away with it... of course this is after i finish all of my lesson plans.   ;D

Jeff Winston

« Reply #263 on: May 23, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
I've been here 3 years, my plans are done to my satisfaction

so I surf, read, write my novel, and workout on the schools walking track.

I also have about ten seasons of one or two seaosn shows in my hard drive, as well as about 30 movies. I throw in one of them if I need a mindless break

Offline parkfv

• Newgookin
« Reply #264 on: May 23, 2011, 09:48:53 AM »
Usually read - nothing better than a quiet teacher's room for a great reading environment.

Ochodnid

« Reply #265 on: May 23, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »
I do a lot of different things. I teach at a Vocational school, so my lesson plans can be reused at every level. I have free range on lesson plans. I just modify or simplify the lesson depending on the class. Number 1 is the first thing I do and number 10 is the last thing I do.

1. Make, modify, and Archive lessons - I either make lesson plans with ideas I have at the moment or I work on ones I need to do. I search waygook looking for ideas. If I find a good one, I will usually modify it to better fit my classes, simplify. I also archive lessons. If I find something I like, I just download it and toss it in my archive folder. If I need an on the fly lesson, I pull one out and use it. Or I might modify it later during down time. I always make sure I have 3 full backup lessons ready.

2. Check E-Mail / facebook messages from family.

3. Read the news. A) Eventful news, world issues, etc. B) Video games coming out

4. Read a book/kindle.

5. Study German

6. Study Korean. Yes, I study German first. I only plan on being here for another year or two, but I plan on living in Germany. My German is diminishing rapidly lol. When I graduated University my German was Advanced-High and just a hair below Fluent. I fear now it is Advanced-Low lol. I forgot what was "to cook" the other day and almost hung myself lol.

7. Help student teachers with their English.

8. Look for new and interesting songs. I look for English songs the students might like or I try to find new K-Pop songs. I would rather show English songs, but it is more important for me to get my students attentions first. 90% of my students don't care about English and will quit learning it after high school. I need to get their interest first and then get them into English.

9. Conquer the world on CIV 4. I bring my Macbook pro to modify lessons, my work PC blows. I have CIV4 running the background and take a turn or two every so often. If I have everything done for the next few lessons, I play it for a while.

10. Work-out in the school gym. This wasn't my idea actually. I started working out in the school gym after school and my VP saw me. He was happy someone was using it. If I do not have classes in the last period or the last two periods, I am allowed to use the gym. I just need to get the keys from him first and return them to him after I am finished. This way he knows where I am.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:05:54 AM by Damien »

Offline syd wegoda

• Veteran
summer desk warming
« Reply #266 on: June 16, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »
I found out today I will be working at the summer camp from 9- 12.30 for three weeks but that I will have to stay in the school till 4.40pm everyday, desk warming. Is this normal and is there any way to avoid it, ie through contract or talking to the teachers?

Offline teach1

• Veteran
Re: summer desk warming
« Reply #267 on: June 16, 2011, 02:51:01 PM »
Not sure where you are but I think it's pretty normal to be let go after 12 or so. I work for SMOE. A girl I worked with at a district camp in the winter had to go BACK to her school and teach in the afternoon, but they were just being complete assholes to her. I think being let go after 12 is just a nice perk of summer camp but not required. Our contract states that we have to work 40 hours a week.

You could try to explain to your co-teachers that there's nothing you would be doing AT ALL and that pretty much all other teachers go home. Are your co-teachers who teach camp with you being forced to stay all day? My camp co-teachers are contract teachers (like us) so they have the same requirements as I do. If they got to go home and I didn't I would bring that up.   Good luck!

Offline techteacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #268 on: June 16, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
Sorry.  The only way around it is if your principal is really nice and they might let you leave early sometimes.  If you use you contract to get out of it, they will show you where in the contract that you have to be there 8:30-4:30, or whatever your 8 hours are. Each school is different because it is really up to the principal in the end.  I had to desk warm after camp in the winter until 430.  My friend across town was able to go home at 1230 because his principal was nice and allowed him to do so.

Offline notinKS

• Super Waygook
« Reply #269 on: June 16, 2011, 02:54:03 PM »
In my last two camps at a different school, I stayed until 4:30-5ish each day and I was informed yesterday that it will be the same situation at my new school. Sucks, but bring movies, books, study materials, anything to keep your time occupied.

Offline Jademarie

• Waygookin
« Reply #270 on: June 16, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »
It depends on your school.... you can talk to your teachers but mostly you are still contracted to work a full working day so that's what they want you to do. This is fairly normal if you don't have a flexible school.

Ask your teachers if you can work from home, or maybe if you can leave early some days. Depends how much you can sweeten them up I guess :)

Offline shmoogrin

• Veteran
« Reply #271 on: June 16, 2011, 02:55:10 PM »
The school can make you stay and deskwarm if they want to, but many teachers do get to go home in the afternoon during camps (I was lucky enough to have that situation for my winter camps)  If there is no-one staying in your school in the afternoon you might get out of it, but if the Korean teachers are there you might be stuck.  Sorry bud. Check out some other posts for deskwarming ideas or (gasp!) you could do lesson planning.

Offline syd wegoda

• Veteran
« Reply #272 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
I think my co-teachers are staying till 4.40 as well (they are kept on a tight leash) so it looks like I will have to as well. However, sometimes I get to leave early if I need to do something like buy a new phone etc so maybe I will be able to go home early on some days.

Offline bktetsujin

• Adventurer
« Reply #273 on: June 16, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »
During Winter Camp, one of my co-teachers had to be here to teach. Then she stayed until 4:40. I remember her playing K-dramas and movies from 12 to 4:40, so I will be doing something similar. I know I will be using my time to write my resume and cover letters for jobs that I will be applying to. Not much longer until I get back to the states. I'm going to start applying for jobs at the end of July and hope I can get something.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:17:16 PM by bktetsujin »

Offline Vincent

• Veteran
« Reply #274 on: June 16, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
look at it as getting payed to do nothing  - because that's what it actually is

Offline snafuman

• Adventurer
« Reply #275 on: June 16, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »
It must have been much better in public schools before they started requiring all of this deskwarming.

Ochodnid

« Reply #276 on: June 16, 2011, 03:23:16 PM »
Roughly 90% of us are stuck doing it. Get use to it. I hated it at first, but now I don't care. I get paid to sit here and do nothing or lesson plan. I use to work out after 4:30pm and my VP asked me why I didn't do it earlier. My school doesn't care what I do during the vacation time. I just have to attend the school. I bring in my PS3 and hook it up to the 70inch smart board and rock that out for a bit. I play chess online, read books, lesson plan, watch movies, work-out in the gym, etc.

Want to hear the best part? I have complete control over the A/C in my room. I don't mind the summer desk warming. I get free A/C all day long to do the same things I would be doing at home. What would I be doing most days not traveling? Sitting on the computer, playing video games, watching movies, learning Korean, reading, etc. I just get paid to sit here in the A/C.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #277 on: June 16, 2011, 03:28:57 PM »
 :) "getting paid to do nothing"...how true. I also wanted to know about this so thanks for posting this question!
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline dmhr25

• Super Waygook
« Reply #278 on: June 16, 2011, 03:43:28 PM »
I'm in Incheon and I have found it's very normal to have to do that.

My advice is to check out your local library's English section and enjoy those quiet hours with a good book.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
Re: The reason for desk warming
« Reply #279 on: June 16, 2011, 04:06:58 PM »
Merged the threads. Please use the search function next time.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. Virtually all NETs have to deskwarm and even contracted Korean English teachers have to do it, as well.

------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html