December 11, 2018, 03:56:41 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264614 times)

Offline notinKS

• Super Waygook
Re: Deskwarming - What do you do?
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2011, 01:20:42 PM »
Read, study Korean, chat with my 2 year old niece on Skype, prepare future lesson plans and just relaaaaaaax...

Offline katrink2

• Adventurer
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2011, 01:23:38 PM »
I'm doing it right now.

Offline cheesebeggar

• Adventurer
« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
Lately, I've been reading a lot during deskwarming time, but besides that I always make sure I am prepared with a few movies or series downloaded to my laptop ( I take my laptop to school most days).

Offline Khuli

• Explorer
« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »
....well, if you have time, then you should use it wisely;lesson plans, read a book , learn some Korean...the list is endless

Offline Ectofuego

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »
this forum board keeps me pretty busy.  Other than that: lesson plans for future classes, organizing materials, preparing new ppts for class, assisting teachers with english writings, talking to students inbetween classes, reading webcomics and news, mindlessly drooling at the screen, diligently working on....something else...i dunno...
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

Offline Can-do

• Adventurer
« Reply #225 on: April 26, 2011, 01:30:51 PM »
Read my book, catch up on the news back home via online newspaper, update my ipod (get rid of songs I don't like, download new ones)...and eat out of boredom!

Offline jordanteacher

• Explorer
« Reply #226 on: April 26, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »
Well today I spent about four hours catching up on as much new music as possible. I actually don't mind having some time to sit around once and awhile since I don't always have time to listen to new stuff.

Offline Koenji

• Super Waygook
« Reply #227 on: April 26, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
Read, study Korean, chat with my 2 year old niece on Skype, prepare future lesson plans and just relaaaaaaax...

Do you have your own homeroom/classroom?

Unfortunately I can't get away with chatting on Skype where I am (teachers room) :(

Offline piyopayo

• Veteran
« Reply #228 on: April 26, 2011, 01:45:02 PM »
When I am done preparing future lesson plans, I usually stream tv shows online. Also, I love cooking, so I always look for interesting recipes and try them out that week.

Offline CMTC

• Veteran
« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2011, 01:46:12 PM »
Plan English camp
Chat with my co-teachers
Origami
Currently trying to learn how to use my new DSLR
Use Skype messenger to chat to folks
Tidy up my itunes

Offline notinKS

• Super Waygook
« Reply #230 on: April 26, 2011, 01:46:39 PM »

Do you have your own homeroom/classroom?

Unfortunately I can't get away with chatting on Skype where I am (teachers room) :(

No, but there's a lot of times that I'm in here by myself. Sometimes if there's only one person I'll go ahead and do it anyway, although not if students are in here. They know that this is the only time I can talk to my family, so they're ok with it.

Daejeon

« Reply #231 on: April 26, 2011, 01:47:52 PM »
Make games.

Finish projects

Learn Korean

Offline kwhawk

• Waygookin
« Reply #232 on: April 26, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »
I don't have much time to desk warm this semester, 7 classes a day keeps me infinitely busy. 

However, last semester I had all the time in the world and I journaled A LOT.  When I was over being productive, www.sidereel.com is great for general TV shows and www.topdocumentaryfilms.com is always good for something interesting and educational.  Hope this helps someone, good luck.

Offline strangeconceits

• Waygookin
« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2011, 01:50:58 PM »
write on my blog, facebook, email, read, watch tv/movies online, nap, paint my nails, pay my bills, stumbleupon.com, update my resume, browse over what kind of jobs are available back home, make to-do lists for my apartment, doodle on the dry-erase board, origami, so on, etc.

Offline obnavox3

• Adventurer
« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2011, 01:53:23 PM »
1) Watch college basketball/football if possible
2) Facebook endlessly
3) Naps
4) Good, consistent, high-quality sitting
5) Read up on the news
6) Fail to impress the other native teacher with my various British accents. 
7) When all else fails, practice reading and learning Korean.

Planning lessons over winter camp wasn't really an option since we didn't have the new books yet, only had a few days of deskwarming anyhow so didn't need to do anything major.

Offline bjinglee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »
Looks like I found my answer in the number of responses this got so quickly. Lol.   

Yeah, I need to find something more constructive to do with my time other than reading FB updates. Learning Korean sounds like a good one. 

Ochodnid

« Reply #236 on: April 26, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
1) Relive classic childhood moments through A) Watching old cartoons/shows I watched B) Playing games I loved via an emulator. My first conquest was "Pokemon: Blue" and that was followed by "Pokemon: Yellow." Since I have played Advance wars, Zelda, Mario 1-2-3, etc.

2) Read the news. This is something I NEVER use to do.

3) Give pointless advice to other people needing pointless advice.

4) Conquer the world one turn at a time. I play online risk games. I currently am blitzkrieging Africa and Asia, but I am losing ground in Australia. . . dang Aussies need to hold their ground. Don't worry boys! Help is coming from eastern Europe!

Offline eidnalom

• Explorer
« Reply #237 on: April 26, 2011, 11:00:59 PM »
Read... talk to myself...

Offline laizamaria

• Adventurer
« Reply #238 on: April 26, 2011, 11:58:17 PM »
Work!

There is no such thing as done with lesson planning. There's always more that can be done. What better time?! Rather than trying to figure out how to otherwise occupy yourself, think of ways to teach your students more efficiently.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:02:10 AM by laizamaria »
Spontaneity is the key to having a good time.

Offline RupertDavenport

• Explorer
« Reply #239 on: April 27, 2011, 07:44:15 AM »
You can try a new hobby. That's what a lot of my friends did. A few girls knit now and you could maybe take up something else.