August 19, 2018, 10:36:54 AM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 254834 times)

Offline atmosphere

• Veteran
Re: Deskwarming will kill you.
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »
I should be dead by the weekend then!

Yesterday, today and tomorrow will total about 12 hours sat at my desk (afternoons off 'cause of some kinda contest - it's not English-related so I don't know the details). In the 7 hours deskwarming, I've done about 2 hours of work. :-[

Offline minamteacher

• Expert Waygook
  • AegNO >.<
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »
I read an article that said you have an elevated risk of having a heart attack when exercising, so I guess we are all out of luck.

In other news, stop worrying and enjoy life!

Offline woman-king

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »
What's with all the hate for deskwarming?  I can think of worse things than getting paid to drink tea and surf the web and catch up on lesson plans (thus freeing up more after work/weekend time).  True, it doesn't really benefit the schools and it would be nice to get those days off, but then we'd end up with like 50 days of paid vacation and that's pretty excessive.  20 paid days a year for people in their 20s is pretty rare in the States right now.  I'm personally looking forward to midterms!   :D

Offline cruisemonkey

• Expert Waygook
  • You could be next!
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
Get real! This is K-land... desk warming will only kill you if you sleep at your desk in front of a fan.
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Offline aq8knyus

• Adventurer
« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2011, 03:24:40 PM »
Deskwarming is greatit allows you free time away from distractions to get on with all your little side projects. It beats real work any day of the week.

Offline kps1

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2011, 09:48:22 AM »
There's nothing stopping you from getting off your butt. Also, workout after school or get a girlfriend for some extra curricular activities,

Offline Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »
I read an article that said you have an elevated risk of having a heart attack when exercising, so I guess we are all out of luck.

Erm? I think that is for people that already have heart disease. They normally never recommend less exercise to young (relatively) people presently free of disease.

Offline gookway

• Super Waygook
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »
and it will give you the hunchback of notre dame too while you're at it.

twitch

« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2011, 10:16:01 AM »
gookway:  SO TRUE!!  i don't mind deskwarming....actually i'm a bit lazy these days so it's nice.  ;)  BUT....my posture is terrible.  i have to pay attention to how isit at my computer, the hunch is sneaking up! 

finishing up week 1 of 2 deskwarming.   exam time!  :)

must find something productive to do today........

Offline Ross84

• Adventurer
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2011, 10:44:33 AM »
I wondering if I should be standing up at my desk. That would look weird however. :laugh:

If you stand at your desk, you burn twice as many calories as you would sitting down. I occassionally stand at my desk and my co-teachers all know why. Some of them even do it themselves now! ;D

Offline minamteacher

• Expert Waygook
  • AegNO >.<
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »

Erm? I think that is for people that already have heart disease. They normally never recommend less exercise to young (relatively) people presently free of disease.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/the-truth-about-sex-and-exercise/

Offline NicknameHaHA

• Adventurer
Re: Deskwarming is bad for your health.
« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2011, 08:02:52 AM »
A great thing to read while deskwarming for my second of three days! (midterm exams)   :D
Although the early release of the exam schedule does permit me more time for exploring (yay for walking).

Offline chaoticharmonics

• Waygookin
« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2011, 08:09:38 AM »
I always take time after classes to roam the school, talking to whoever I meet. Students can change completely from inside to outside the class. Shy, quiet students become noisy and friendly. Obnoxious students can even become sweethearts. The class dynamic seems to really affect how a student chooses to act. And you can meet teachers and have conversations with people you don't normally talk to. you would be surprised how many teachers actually speak English, even though they will never say a word if unprovoked by a foreigner.

Offline summerthyme

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • cookie bank
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2011, 08:15:08 AM »
Mering this thread with the similar topic "Deskwarming will kill you"
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

Offline pb

• Explorer
« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2011, 08:31:34 AM »
not just deskwarming~ but being inactive for a long period of time is just harmful for the body!

i suggest taking a break after lunch and just roam around the school...now that all the schools are made into 'parks' for the neighborhood its a great opportunity to take advantage of it! and give yourself a stretch break at your desk from time to time~ it will help you be more awake and refreshes you as well!

i know we have too much time at our desk at times~ but for our own health...shake that body and move around from time to time ^^

Offline bjinglee

• Expert Waygook
Deskwarming - What do you do?
« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »
So you're done with lesson planning and classes are cancelled for this reason or that. What do you do to occupy your time? 

Offline JD

• Adventurer
Re: Deskwarming - What do you do?
« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »

Offline grandfromage

• Veteran
« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
I'm a writer, so I love deskwarming time.  No games or TV to tempt me, just me and the novel.

Offline korr

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2011, 01:19:36 PM »
Study Korean. I keep a TOPIK prep book and a couple other books at school and take them out when I have some free time.