December 13, 2018, 11:11:52 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264898 times)

Offline notinKS

• Super Waygook
Re: Desk Warming Ideas
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 01:05:59 PM »
Dramacrazy.net.  You can tell yourself you're improving your Korean.

I second this idea. I'm almost finished with "Cinderella Man" (HIGHLY recommend) and my co-teacher has recommended "Beethoven Virus" so I'll watch that next. Unfortunately I have school for two more weeks :'(

Offline stephenflett

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 01:35:03 PM »
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/peepls/646/go-home

Thats a couple of hours done anyway. Puzzle games sap the time away, if you finish that and fancy another - try 'bloxorz'.

Offline raintenshi

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 01:52:36 PM »
What about creating "last minute lessons"? For those days that you get those wonderful surprises 5 minutes before class ^^;

Otherwise, you can watch some movies/TV shows, clean (:laugh:), spend time writing letters home (I know I find hand writing relaxing as hell over here now), take some time to check out the news in the world..

I agree with @Paul. Working on some computer skills/tasks really make the day go by fast. Creating new media can take a lot of time and it doesn't even have to be complex/deep. Once I get some things settled with my school, I want to try to create some comic pages to make the lessons a little more interesting. And by create, I mean search for images. I'm not THAT creative and talented that I can draw  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline raskal

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »
Stumble upon came up with this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_deaths

A lot of wtf?? For example, a guy in Canada was walking down a residential street and was hit by a helicopter, causing his death..
Or a man was executed by drowning in a barrel of wine (his request) (in the 1600's).

Offline richarquis

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »
Regarding "working on computer skills." If, like me, you are constantly hamstrung by your Korean language OS, and want to use MS Word and PPT more efficiently, I'm working on an Excel document, with a side by side Korean/English translation of the menus. I'm doing it by having my laptop open on my desk, in English, and the school PC beside it, in Korean, and creating the list that way. The main menus are done, I'm just going through the sub-menus now (eg, File > Send to > Recipient using fax... etc) which aren't so nicely ordered as the main menus.

If anyone knows of a pre-existing file like this, please tell me, so I can stop with the head scratching. Otherwise, watch the forums, I'll post it as soon as it's finished.

(Learning to read the menus in Korean is also a great way to learn commands, and lots of new vocab. At first I hated having to do it, now it's starting to become much easier and less frustrating.)

Offline MiaBritton

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »
ch131.com- catch up on your tv watching :)

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 01:31:08 PM »
I will be sitting here for a good week doing nothing and need some ideas..  I have been doing webcomics, going to bored.com for flash games, reading wikipedia, but Im running out of things to do and its only tuesday.  Come people, post some cool things to do!

study korean?
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline tfuller

• Super Waygook
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 01:38:50 PM »
Study Korean.
Video games (my work computer is fast).
Blog.
Source new material for class (although this site makes that incredibly easy!).

Offline Eros

• Super Waygook
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »
It's amazing that in a world full of so many wonders, mankind has created boredom. [Not verbatim but it's from Terry Pratchett's Hogfather.]

Alright your stuck at school but there's still plenty to do. Read a book/write a book/watch films/watch tv shows/play computer games/surf the net/practice taekwondo/do yoga/learn a foreign language/prep materials for lessons -plans/games/activities [then upload them here!!!]/meditate/peruse - download and mess about with itunes apps if you have an ipod touch/shop.

These are just things off the top of my head. Unfortunately I can't do many of the above as my school has me prepping quite a few things for the coming school year but I wouldn't mind desk warming if I had to.

Offline fake_blood

• Explorer
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 02:36:54 PM »
with regards to deskwarming, do the co-teachers/VPs/Ps/etc expect us to be working efficiently during all of that time?

I mean, I will be spending some of my deskwarming time making lessons for the upcoming semester, but I can't imagine all my time will be spent working- are they okay with us just watching movies, reading books, etc?

Offline moonhaus

• Waygookin
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 02:56:45 PM »
this is a great time to research gad schools/new job prospects

or learn to knit
I have a friend who makes quilts in her down time

or call your family and friends that are so hard to get in touch with because of the crazy time difference

slide down the hallways in your socks....you got options....

Offline master6

• Explorer
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »
Wow Cole... I envy you......If I used a computer as good as yours, I'd be sliding down the hallways in my socks as moonhaus put it.

Offline tfuller

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 04:35:26 PM »
Study Korean.
Video games (my work computer is fast).
Blog.
Source new material for class (although this site makes that incredibly easy!).

Fffffffffff. I'm jealous.

My computer at work (the one I'm typing on right now) is from 2003. It's got a 40g HD, like 512mb ram. It's awful.

Dual core 2.8GHz, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd. English center was built a few months before i arrived, so the only English classroom is where i am at for the 8hrs/day. It's why deskwarming technically isn't deskwarming, as we do a lot of multimedia stuff when the students have spare time (video camera/voice recorder/photo diaries) 

Offline juliann

• Adventurer
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 06:31:18 PM »
Asian dramas and movies with English subtitles. Free, streaming, and LOADS of choice:

www.mysoju.com

Offline narkorecordings

• Waygookin
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 07:57:46 AM »
http://100sand1000s.tumblr.com/post/859211668/fuckyeahalbuquerque-click-to-make-circles

this website is a glory time "spender". just click, watch the circles and relax...

Offline tovarivera82

• Adventurer
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 08:11:41 AM »
You could do some of my lessons!  8)

Seriously, I'm sooooo jealous of those of y'all who get to desk warm. I know it can be boring, but I'm working my tail off over here!  :P

Gotta go ~ more lesson planning to do!  ;D

Offline injuredeagle

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 08:43:18 AM »
So much to do! Deskwarming is great!

I've seen so many good Korea blogs that I've bookmarked so I may spend my time going over some of them. Check out Waygooks section, the Korean Blog List, Eat your Kimchi, Alex and Chickpea Do Korea, Ask A Korean, The Waygook Effect, etc., etc.

Offline GreenFloyd

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 12:48:45 PM »
^ Wow! "Alex and Chickpea do Korea" is a famous blog? Do you know them? They're my friends in Daegu. Alex puts together some nice videos! Cool to see that mention on here.

with regards to deskwarming, do the co-teachers/VPs/Ps/etc expect us to be working efficiently during all of that time?

That's a great question and I've never quite been sure on the answer.

Offline nwr513

• Waygookin
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »
pushups.

Offline infogoddess

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 02:37:05 PM »
working on the Twelve days of Deskwarming and then I remembered this

enjoy
"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert