December 13, 2018, 11:10:08 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264897 times)

Offline derbear86

• Veteran
Re: Desk Warming...dun dun dun
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2011, 02:31:57 PM »
I'm glad to read all of these posts! The last thread I read on deskwarming was full of complainers who couldn't seem to grasp the fact that they were being paid to sit around and do pretty much anything they wanted. It's good to know that not all waygooks are whiny weiners. I like to read and study Korean during my desk warming days.

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »
Daveb, if you don't mind me asking, with which university are you doing your online MA? I'd be interested in doing one of those...

Andrew

Just sent you a PM with some questions about it too.   :) :)
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline penny

• Waygookin
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2011, 02:51:20 PM »
Do a course. I know how you feel. I had my hands full when I was teaching after school classes. I  teach 23 hours a week and then I work on my assignments. I'm doing a pgce course, that keeps me busy.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2011, 02:53:29 PM »
Doing a TESOL MA sounds like a great way to pass the time. ;D I'm definitely going to look into that as well.

Offline Lindsay

• Adventurer
« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2011, 02:55:19 PM »
These days it's lesson planning but I'm looking into starting a postgrad as well. When the kids and other teachers aren't in (vacation and after camp etc) I also bring my saxophone to school since there's nobody to disturb.

Offline jbilnoski

• Explorer
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2011, 02:58:27 PM »
I try to plan a few things to get done for the days I know I will be at the desk for an extended period of time. However, I usually end up browsing Waygook and FB for too dang long!

Offline cruisemonkey

• Expert Waygook
  • You could be next!
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2011, 03:01:10 PM »
but i can see the problems that may arise if we were simply allowed to leave during those hours in which we aren't teaching classes.

Yes, the Ks would have large gangs of drunken PS foreigners roaming the streets and starting fights.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:12:47 PM by cruisemonkey »
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Offline notinKS

• Super Waygook
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2011, 03:04:02 PM »
시간 있으면 한국어를 공부할래요.

I like the thought of studying and getting paid for it, especially when it greatly improves my life in Korea  8)

Offline elzoog

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2011, 03:24:51 PM »
...i'm doing an online MA in TESOL. Bring on the deskwarming...being paid to study...i have no problemos with that!  ;D

Which online MA in TESOL course are you taking?

Offline nyoung914

• Explorer
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »
i bring a mat and do sit ups and pushups. sometimes I dance around just for fun.

Offline danitravels

• Veteran
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2011, 03:39:27 PM »
I'm surprised nobody's fessed up yet. After the lesson plans are finished (literaly 2 weeks in advance,) you'll see my computer will have something playing on either sidereel or surfthechannel!

Offline jrwhite82

• Super Waygook
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »
P90X!  I bring a different DVD in each day and my resistance bands, push the tables away and go for the X factor!

Offline tealstardust

• Adventurer
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
I lesson plan and live on facebook...I am also in an online masters program, so I should also be reading...but I am not!  :-S  Oh well...

Offline ryusukha

• Explorer
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »
I just look for good videos or materials for my lesson and internet surfing.

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
Deskwarming is bad for your health.
« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2011, 12:54:21 PM »
Most EFLers are young and probably never worry about their health but I thought I'd post this anyway.

I just read a study of heart disease that is extremely worrying for people who think that by doing exercise in their free time will be their saviour when it comes to heart disease. 

Here is a quote from the article "suggesting that the health benefits of exercise don't cancel out all that time in front of the tube or computer."

It's a new and worrying field called "inactivity physiology". Simply by spending a long period of sitting you are setting yourself up for a heart attack.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/10/tv.heart.health/index.html

Offline Adamski

• Adventurer
Re: Deskwarming will kill you.
« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »
Most EFLers are young and probably never worry about their health but I thought I'd post this anyway.

I just read a study of heart disease that is extremely worrying for people who think that by doing exercise in their free time will be their saviour when it comes to heart disease. 

Here is a quote from the article "suggesting that the health benefits of exercise don't cancel out all that time in front of the tube or computer."

It's a new and worrying field called "inactivity physiology". Simply by spending a long period of sitting you are setting yourself up for a heart attack.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/10/tv.heart.health/index.html

Changes in the body caused by sitting may not be the only factor at work. Studies have shown that people eat more unhealthy snacks while they watch TV and are more likely to be exposed to ads for junk food. "My intuition tells me that it's more likely that it's sitting, but we don't have hard evidence yet to support either of the two explanations,"

Although the researchers weren't able to confirm the lipoprotein lipase theory, blood samples from the study participants suggest that the relationship between screen time and heart problems is partly explained by unhealthy cholesterol levels and inflammation. Being overweight also appears to play a role.

Offline Tamillow

• Waygookin
« Reply #196 on: April 21, 2011, 02:24:35 PM »
@Adamski: obviously you looked for the points of doubt that scientists always include for good reason. But look at the obvious point...

The chair was an invention. And it was an unnatural invention at that. When did it become considered as innovative and useful as the wheel? If anything it is exactly the opposite.

Offline ironopolis

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #197 on: April 21, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »
So teaching 22 classes a week plus several hours desk warming is more injurious to health than teaching 40 classes a week with minimal desk warming?

I reckon the latter might be a tad more likely to give you a heart attack. Although, there again, you wouldn't have had time to read this thread and therefore may well be less worried about it.

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »
I wondering if I should be standing up at my desk. That would look weird however. :laugh:

Offline natale_laplante

• Veteran
« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »
Desk warming doesn't have to be a mind-numbing, tedious task. You can choose to make it as productive as you like. Who says you have to sit all day?