December 11, 2018, 04:32:53 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264622 times)

Offline derbear86

• Veteran
Re: The reason for desk warming
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2011, 12:03:44 PM »
Tired of studying Korean? Read a book. Tired of reading a book? Plan a lesson. Tired of planning a lesson? Clean your desk. Tired of cleaning your desk? Have a little break. Need I go on?! Use your brains and find something to do. It's not the end of the world. And whoever said something to the extent of "there are only so many books you can read" earlier on in the thread, that quote is right up there with "everything that can be invented has been invented" in terms of stupidity. You could spend every waking moment of five lifetimes reading and barely scratch the surface of what's been written. Get occupied and make the best of a "bad" situation. I like desk warming.

Offline adamwatch

• Super Waygook
« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2011, 12:21:15 PM »
I think Korea could learn a lot from China. There you teach your allotted hours and go home.

Adam

Offline wondershot

• Veteran
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
Tired of studying Korean? Read a book. Tired of reading a book? Plan a lesson. Tired of planning a lesson? Clean your desk. Tired of cleaning your desk? Have a little break. Need I go on?! Use your brains and find something to do. It's not the end of the world. And whoever said something to the extent of "there are only so many books you can read" earlier on in the thread, that quote is right up there with "everything that can be invented has been invented" in terms of stupidity. You could spend every waking moment of five lifetimes reading and barely scratch the surface of what's been written. Get occupied and make the best of a "bad" situation. I like desk warming.

Truth.

Offline suzettec

• Veteran
« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2011, 02:00:28 PM »
Unfortunately it's like hit or miss.  Meaning some people like BCH were worked everyday so as to avoid the "problem" of schools having the NET's "deskwarm", not doing anything and getting paid.

Others schools have their NET's come in -  when nobody else is around - with no heat, a/c or in some cases no electricity of any kind for their computer and just sit at their desk cause they don't want the NET's not doing anything and getting paid.  Meaning why should the school pay you to go and sit on a beach somewhere.

The problem is some NET's are being over utilized and others are underutilized.  I believe we do need some time to plan what we will be teaching in the next semester or year.  I don't agree with having someone come in just because and having to sit for 2 or 3 weeks.  In the cases of those that do have very bad conditions in their schools the school could either have a camp so that the NET's are working and don't have them sitting in a office with no way of being able to make lesson plans.  In those cases the school can give the NET the option of either doing an additional camp or taking the time off without pay.  They can also "lend them out" to other schools if need be. 

The situation is not ideal but like someone else said it's going to come to the point - in some cases it already has - where schools are not rehiring because if what it cost them and having us do camps for 4 to 5 weeks with no prep time a.k.a. deskwarming to get ready for the new semester/year.

Offline foreverJ

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »
I think Korea could learn a lot from China. There you teach your allotted hours and go home.

Adam

Like.

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2011, 10:16:19 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone knows that actual reason why we have to desk warm? Most of us spend so much time complaining about it but does anyone know if there is a reason?
I was going to email my co-ordinator but I don't want to draw attention to myself and she starts checking up on me-I come to work but since my co-teachers and my prinicpal aren't at school I only come in at around 11ish and leave at around three. Both my co-teacher and one of my team teachers have said that I shouldn't come in at all, but I am not sure if it is worth the risk, it is literally me and the cleaner at school.

There are legal reasons as there is a national healthcare system. If you are legally supposed to be at the school at a specific time, the school is responsible for you, as a GET. If you are not where you are supposed to be, and you get hurt or something, the school is liable. I donno if most of you have worked at a company in the states or your home country, but it is pretty similar when you are covered by the company's insurance and safety guidlines, like OSHA in the US.

Also, it has a lot to do with the culture of the country. Existing is the same as working. Often we think "long hours = hard work" but in Korea, they are not related at all. Often the long hours has to do with getting promotions, and not with realistic productivity. There is a completely different work culture here. If you are curious, you should find some Koreans who worked abroad who might be able to explain it. It is culture and legal issues mostly.

Offline salabbe

• Adventurer
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
www.sporcle.com

Just to switch it up. I can now name every country and capital in the world. Thanks desk warming! ;)

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2011, 10:42:42 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone knows that actual reason why we have to desk warm? Most of us spend so much time complaining about it but does anyone know if there is a reason?
I was going to email my co-ordinator but I don't want to draw attention to myself and she starts checking up on me-I come to work but since my co-teachers and my prinicpal aren't at school I only come in at around 11ish and leave at around three. Both my co-teacher and one of my team teachers have said that I shouldn't come in at all, but I am not sure if it is worth the risk, it is literally me and the cleaner at school.

There are legal reasons as there is a national healthcare system. If you are legally supposed to be at the school at a specific time, the school is responsible for you, as a GET. If you are not where you are supposed to be, and you get hurt or something, the school is liable. I donno if most of you have worked at a company in the states or your home country, but it is pretty similar when you are covered by the company's insurance and safety guidlines, like OSHA in the US.

Also, it has a lot to do with the culture of the country. Existing is the same as working. Often we think "long hours = hard work" but in Korea, they are not related at all. Often the long hours has to do with getting promotions, and not with realistic productivity. There is a completely different work culture here. If you are curious, you should find some Koreans who worked abroad who might be able to explain it. It is culture and legal issues mostly.

Then why is it that Korean contract teachers (like unlucky NETs) sometimes have to desk-warm but senior Korean teachers (like luckier NETs) never do and are free to come and go to a certain extent and not come in when there are no scheduled lessons?

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2011, 10:48:59 AM »

Then why is it that Korean contract teachers (like unlucky NETs) sometimes have to desk-warm but senior Korean teachers (like luckier NETs) never do and are free to come and go to a certain extent and not come in when there are no scheduled lessons?

It depends on the principal.

Some senior KTs don't have to come in because they have seniority and thus the younger teachers have to suffer.

I believe in the new EPIK contract you don't have to desk warm.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline msqueen888

• Adventurer
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2011, 10:57:39 AM »
"I get what all you people are saying about "Better yourself... prepare... learn something new... Save a dolphin... Cure a disease... Clear a minefield..." but I think I'd be better off at home or on a beach, relaxing, refreshing and recharging."

I totally agree.  Refresh and recharge.

Offline waygookshawn

• Adventurer
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2011, 11:22:57 AM »
It's Korea...asking 'why' is a very dangerous question and often leads to frustration.  You would do well to avoid these types of questions. ;)

With that being said, the new EPIK contracts doesn't get us out of deskwarming.  It simply leaves our vacation time at the discretion of the principal. 

Offline ADB123

• Veteran
Desk Warming...dun dun dun
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »
After lunch I brush my teeth and sit back down at my desk.. for three and a half hours.. These "office hours" really tire me out. How do you spend your time at your desk "being productive?"

Offline daveb

• Super Waygook
Re: Desk Warming...dun dun dun
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2011, 02:06:20 PM »
...i'm doing an online MA in TESOL. Bring on the deskwarming...being paid to study...i have no problemos with that!  ;D

Offline village_idiot77

• Adventurer
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »
i try to think of stuff i can make ane put up around the class that encourages the kids to do english activities in break times/before class

Offline hi_teachuh!

• Veteran
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »
At first it was difficult filling the time. I went from teaching 35 classes a week to 22 classes a week.  :o  I was SO bored! Now I feel like I don't have enough 'time' for anything! lol. I read the news, have started reviewing/studying Spanish, FB, waygook, lesson planning, talking to family and friends back home, reading, online shopping...and the list goes on. I love being paid to do the same thing I would be doing if I was hanging out at home.

Offline Super English Teacher

• Explorer
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2011, 02:15:12 PM »
I actually read books to help in my professional development and write book reviews on them! Might sound kind of geeky but I enjoy keeping my mind sharp and learning new things. Check out the library in your school to see if they have any good books to read. :)

Offline Incredagogue

• Veteran
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2011, 02:16:37 PM »
You forgot the option "Browse Waygook.org endlessly"

Offline Granth5185

• Explorer
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2011, 02:19:08 PM »
Read or study or watch a movie or make some amazing power point and post it on waygook!  It also pays if you are at a public school to get out of the desk and go visit with some of the other Korean teachers.  Bring some coffee or fruit and try to have a chat, they really appreciate it, you can make some friends and learn a bit of Korean.

Offline mscorpgrl

• Waygookin
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2011, 02:23:23 PM »
I'm all caught up on this week's TV, finished my book 2 days ago, and am leaving Korea in a week.  2 hours left of today and I have no idea what to do with my time.

Offline e1004

• Adventurer
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2011, 02:24:29 PM »
You forgot the option "Browse Waygook.org endlessly"

i second this.... LOL!