December 13, 2018, 11:22:04 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264899 times)

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
Re: The reason for desk warming
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »
joseph921...  I think enough people have given enough valid reasons in this thread as to why desk warming is such a mindless thing. Most of the time it is done because it is policy and for no reason other than that. That is the worst reason for asking someone to sit at a desk and do nothing that I can think of.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline joseph921

• Super Waygook
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »
jchoe..... people object because it is a mindless thing and it is done for the sake of doing it, for no other reason. When it comes to people management, doing something for the sake of doing it, is the worst motivator. If you read my previous post some time back you can see where I am coming from on this issue.

People management skill is the thing most lacking in Education circles throughout the world. All people in management positions in Education should be trained in this skill, but they are not, they are just teachers that are promoted to higher positions and lack the training. Teachers are your most important resource in a school and making concessions on things like desk-warming (for Korean and Native teachers) only has a positive spin off, believe me.
Good point on the people motivator thing, but again, these are the hours you have to 'work' whether you
think you have something or nothing to do is irrelevant.  If you are required to come to work for the
hours, then you come.  I don't think complaining, 'why do i have to come because it is a pointless/mindless
chore', is no excuse.  When the kids are out of school but we teachers still have to come to school, I
don't look at it any differently than if it was a regular work week with kids in school.  To me, this is
the job and the hours, and I treat it the same, no complaints.

Offline edgex90

• Newgookin
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »
Hello all! Firstly, I just want to say that having a forum where people can vent and voice their opinion in a respectable and cordial manner is refreshing and thought-provoking.

As for my opinion, I have to side with the people who enjoy or don't really care to complain about deskwarming. As many have validly argued, deskwarming beats doing more work. Other choices could be that your year contract could be 11 months and you are not paid a severance package and other benefits., thereby easing the Korean government's claim of "lack of funds" to continue to hire NETs (I found out that the gov't is hiring more Korean citizens who have lived or studied abroad for a while. My school has 2 of these teachers and I'm the only foreign teacher. It's apparently cheaper for the gov't and the benefits are nearly as good as being a fulltime teacher in terms of pay & vacation time). Either way, deskwarming beats out most alternatives.
Not to be preachy, but anyone know the parable of the talents? (three servants given "talents" [money] and they all invested their money except the third who just buried it and dug it back up later. The third was rebuked for his actions). Anyway, we should look at this time as an investment into our future, whether it be for your lesson plans (coming up with games or bomb/typhoon game templates is quite time-consuming) or what you plan to do back home. There's always something to do and if you're bored, the blame lies on you, not policy.
Try to enjoy the time or make good use of it. If you need a motivator, think about all those past times where you feel like kicking yourself because something didn't go right or as smoothly from previously lessons and work from there. From what I can see, waygook.org constituents are bright, creative, and resourceful. Having the time to chill for 8 hours can only have beneficial effects. I imagine this site to have a tremendous amount of games, ideas, and resources once the new year starts.

Man, I sound old!

Offline msqueen888

• Adventurer
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
just a little humor for all the green deskwarmers out there.   made me laugh.

Offline lizteacher10

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »
Just to clarify I am not complaining about desk warming, I am quite aware that I would not be able to find another job where I get paid to sit around and doing nothing. I was just wondering what the reasoning is, I know that it is in the contract and I was fully aware of it when I signed. The Korean teachers who have the same contracts as us also have to be at school, this includes both of my co-teachers and neither of them are here.

I am not going to draw unnecessary to my situation at all, so everyone can relax it was just a discussion question.
The korean teachers do not have the same contracts as us. They get summer and winter vacation but have to attend some training during that time. They dont get paid over vacation, same as teachers in the states. However, they can choose to spread their pay over the vacation months. Our contract is different, like everyone stated before, we have to be at school unless we are taking vaca.

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »
What the....... Are you people nuts?! :o

I am so sick of people complaining about deskwarming. You have it easy. Ive been working flat out throughout the winter and spring vacations(in a rural school no less!) and the only days that I have not been thrown into the lion pit that is camp is when I took my vacation days. Every other single weekday, without interruption, I have had to teach. Not a single break to catch up on my paperwork, nothing! I havent even had a minute to start my lesson plans for next year for crying out loud! You have no idea how good you have it, so stop complaining!
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

• The Legend
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
BCH........ I think you missed the entire point of this thread. Sorry you had it so rough, but that is no reason why other people should have the mindless task of desk warming. I must point out too that most are questioning the reason for it and not really complaining. As I pointed out in my previous posts, you must have a good reason to do something, not just doing something for the sake of doing it. 

Enjoy your time off and chill.   :) :)

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »
BCH........ I think you missed the entire point of this thread. Sorry you had it so rough, but that is no reason why other people should have the mindless task of desk warming. I must point out too that most are questioning the reason for it and not really complaining. As I pointed out in my previous posts, you must have a good reason to do something, not just doing something for the sake of doing it. 

Except, as has been discussed in this topic already, we have to go to work whenever we are not on vacation. Im sorry, but I would rather be spending my winter and spring at a desk studying Korean and writing my lesson plans for next year, as opposed to my current situation, you guys dont realise how great you have it and if you dont begin to appreciate that soon, you may find that your school wisens up and works you like a dog too.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

Offline thedsr

• Veteran
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »

Except, as has been discussed in this topic already, we have to go to work whenever we are not on vacation. Im sorry, but I would rather be spending my winter and spring at a desk studying Korean and writing my lesson plans for next year, as opposed to my current situation, you guys dont realise how great you have it and if you dont begin to appreciate that soon, you may find that your school wisens up and works you like a dog too.

I agree.  People need to DEAL WITH it.  You signed a contract, you know what it says.  You do what your school wants you to do because they are your employer.  I can't believe people are actually complaining about getting paid to do nothing.  Buy a heater, learn something new, but quit the bitching about doing nothing.  How many times does this thread have to come up?

Offline wajowens

• Veteran
« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2011, 09:57:48 PM »

I agree.  People need to DEAL WITH it.  You signed a contract, you know what it says.  You do what your school wants you to do because they are your employer.  I can't believe people are actually complaining about getting paid to do nothing.  Buy a heater, learn something new, but quit the bitching about doing nothing.  How many times does this thread have to come up?

*like*

• The Legend
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2011, 06:22:00 AM »
BHC.. I think perhaps you are not fully aware of the conditions that some NSET's are desk warming under. Some schools turn off the electricity during the vacation and I know that has happened to me. The result is no heater, no lights in a freezing office and no computer to use to tweak my lessons etc. There was no one at the school to ask to turn on the electricity and all the bathrooms were locked.

It has also happened that during, particularly winter and spring vacation desk warming, that you are not told what classes you will have the next semester or what books you will be using, (despite asking) so the person sits at school in a freezing office, no computer, no work to do.  That is what I am 'complaining' about !!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:36:55 AM by Ralph Long »

Offline elspeth

• Veteran
« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2011, 07:37:10 AM »

Just quoting for incoming mod edit.

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2011, 08:18:45 AM »
Yeah I am with Ralph all the way on this one, and I have never even had to desk warm, besides times like right now when all of the Korean subject teachers are sitting at their computers looking at Cyworld or reading books.

I get what all you people are saying about "Better yourself... prepare... learn something new... Save a dolphin... Cure a disease... Clear a minefield..." but I think I'd be better off at home or on a beach, relaxing, refreshing and recharging.

I've been teaching for almost 5 years and it starts to grind on the soul, mind, and body. It's not like most other jobs, so saying "If you were back home you'd never have a job with this little work.. with nothing to do there" doesn't really apply. Sure, it is true, but if I was a teacher back home I'd have a solid 2 month break to unwind and prepare (spiritually haha?) for the next year. If I worked in an office I wouldn't need the time away from the chaos that a classroom can bring.

Teaching is a unique job. Breaks are needed.

Offline ramkyles

• Veteran
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:34 AM »
The reason or "history of deskwarming" was explained towards the begining of this thread. Someone asked "why" not trying to complain but to understand the methodology of a different culture. Somewhere this turned into a debate between pro and anti (or I guess I should say neutral and anti) deskwarmers.

This debate would have been great in its own thread, but like the OP I would like to know people's opinons and thoughts as to WHY NTs, KTs, and everyone else are deskwarming, instead of all this complaining about complaining about complaining.

Interesting opinions though, and props to that video and earlier statement about "saving dolphins, curing a disease and clearing minefields." That would have made a great vacation!

Offline L Waygook

• Adventurer
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2011, 08:41:59 AM »
Well I just removed my post because someone decided to pick me out of everyone else to respond to. I just want to say that this topic has gone the wrong way. Yes desk warming sucks but we do have to deal with it. I will also say that for someone like me who would love to be given work to do right now I am doing my time at my desk and making the best of it. I think that for those of us who get restless and bored with the internet it is hard to do nothing for so long. I mentioned that I always ask for work to be given to me but because I am not able to read Korean it is not possible. This is not me complaining it is simply a fact. I feel so bad to think that people are using this as a way to attack others. I respect everyones opinions and I hope that this can continue to be a place we can share our feelings, questions, and concerns!

Offline nakdong

• Adventurer
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2011, 08:48:24 AM »
just get up and go home, I do, no major complaints so far.

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
This debate would have been great in its own thread, but like the OP I would like to know people's opinons and thoughts as to WHY NTs, KTs, and everyone else are deskwarming, i

Simple I guess... Because the person above you says "Do it!" and Koreans like to seem busy even if they are not. We all know some poor Korean who works at a company and has to stay 2, 3, 4 hours late just because everyone else is doing it, even though they have nothing much to do.

Offline SpaceRook

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2011, 09:12:53 AM »
I mentioned that I always ask for work to be given to me but because I am not able to read Korean it is not possible.

Have you tried learning Korean?  You could easily teach yourself to read over the course of a few days.  Then, learn some days of the week and time expressions.  You'll soon be able to decipher some useful info in those endless emails that arrive every 10 minutes.  Some of your co-teachers might be equally bored and want to help you.

Start with Talk To Me In Korean's Hangeul lessons, and go from there.  That whole website is an amazing resource. 

Offline L Waygook

• Adventurer
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2011, 09:29:17 AM »
Oh yes I am in the process of learning Korean. I do know that my teachers are too busy to help me. I have asked many times. I use the Talk to Me in Korean site a lot. I can read it but the problem is I dont have enough vocab under my belt to know what Im reading yet. So yes, I am trying! Thanks

Offline ISangHae

• Adventurer
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »
Oh yes I am in the process of learning Korean. I do know that my teachers are too busy to help me. I have asked many times. I use the Talk to Me in Korean site a lot. I can read it but the problem is I dont have enough vocab under my belt to know what Im reading yet. So yes, I am trying! Thanks

For how long are we supposed to sit and learn Korean?
After 2 hours, it becomes difficult to concentrate on the same subject. There are reasons why most uni students (where we come from) don't study 8 hours a day straight.