December 14, 2018, 12:35:15 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264909 times)

Offline jchoe

• Adventurer
Re: The reason for desk warming
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »
RLong, after re-reading your two posts, I think I better understand your position. Many native teachers I have discussed this with have not given appropriate/adequate reasons for their complaints. Although I appreciate the time for collaboration and planning at my school, I now understand that you do not think it is the intended purpose by some principals. Thank you for explaining your legit reason for disapproving of this practice.

Offline giselle

• Veteran
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2011, 08:50:32 AM »
Well, I have mixed emotions about this.  I must agree that it IS annoying, especially when I hear every day that my husband has been sent home after 1 hour in the teachers' room.  And I would be at least somewhat inclined to believe it was for a purpose, IF I had been given next year's textbooks, and IF I had been told what my actual job is going to be!  So far, the powers that be have changed my mission from teaching any lessons/activities that my heart desires, to sticking to the textbook, and back again. Classes start in 2 weeks, & I still don't know.  So, it's impossible for me to do any real work during this time, such as writing lesson plans, designing the class schedule for the year,etc.  Korean culture just loves to work it's people harder, not smarter. Come on, people, I've known that little proverb since I was 10 years old!

But, I also must say that I definitely appreciate the down time to think about the next round at a leisurely pace, and not cramming my work that's supposed to be creative into a short, interrupted time frame. 
I consider it a way to ease myself back into the daily grind, so I can actually be  a decent person, if not a well-prepared teacher. So, here's to desk warming, cause I'm one of the ones who just can't get any work done at home! 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:01:59 AM by giselle »

Offline kawaiikitty

• Adventurer
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Hey, if you're looking for something to do...

http://sherlock-holmes.classic-literature.co.uk/the-five-orange-pips/
Read some short stories :D

Offline ramkyles

• Veteran
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
MY reason for deskwarming just got transfered to another school. I didn't teach with her, but it sure was a joy sitting next to her doing nothing but daydreaming about our eventual Korean wedding...

...deskwarming just got a whole lot colder.. :'(

Offline valium kilmer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2011, 09:55:50 AM »
I do find much of the reasoning arbitrary - and there is a certain level of 'you SHOULD be doing something like this amount of facetime.'

However, I've been lucky with my school - so that in winter and summer I've had something like 6 weeks holiday at a time - perhaps with it being slightly broken up with an English camp in the middle/a few days desk warming.  However, this is Korea - so I never actually know when I'm on holiday or when I'm deskwarming until the day before.

Though I tend to value the deskwarming days as it means I'm out of the house and active, and I can get through a fair bit of Korean study - that otherwise tends to get put off and off...

Offline chadteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2011, 10:16:07 AM »
Today I actually asked one of the teachers if she needed my help with anything.  She said no, but at least I gave it a shot to volunteer my time instead of, well...doing this.

Offline dwebsterlfc

• Veteran
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »
I don't know why everybody gets so mardy about desk warming. They could write it in to our contracts that we have to to loads of extra hours of one on one teaching with students etc but all we have to do is sit and do nothing.

It's not hard to do something productive.

I'm bad for this as well but I bet there's so many people complaining about lesson planning that don't have more tan 3 lesson plans ready for next term.

I'm trying to learn spanish during my winter desk warming and it's killing loads of time.

The people I do feel for are the people that get told they are not allowed to play games or watch movies etc. The only reason their co-teachers would stop them doing that is because they are jealous of the spare time afforded to us, and they're stopping people killing their time by having fun out of pure bitterness.

Offline dwebsterlfc

• Veteran
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2011, 10:23:34 AM »
P.S I feel sorry for the people that have to sit in the cold as well lol.... unnecessary.

Offline derbear86

• Veteran
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2011, 10:29:04 AM »
Legit teachers around the world have days where no students come and there are no particular tasks assigned, but we call those days “teacher WORK days”. Desk-Warming seems to me to be a term, which when used to describe one’s behavior, speaks volumes about his/her work ethic...Do you care deeply about your students as learners and just as people? It’s deeply rewarding to put someone’s needs above your own comfort. Here are some ideas of what you could do if you can’t think of any: plan ways to encourage your students, develop new games and activities, create displays for your visual learners, think of new rules and procedures to implement that will give all students the best chance to learn in a place where they feel secure…

Well said jchoe. It's not desk-warming if you're being constructive and working on something. I am currently making a new PowerPoint game that I know my students will love. And honestly, I enjoy doing it. It's challenging and time-consuming to get everything in the game working correctly and looking tip-top. But it's 100% worth it when I see the results with my students. When I work hard on my lessons or games and do my best to make them fun AND EDUCATIONAL, my students are genuinely interested in the lesson. Probably because they forget they're even learning.

In addition, the busier you are, the faster your day goes by. So why not buckle down and do some work? Before you know it it'll be quitting time.

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2011, 10:30:54 AM »
I'm bad for this as well but I bet there's so many people complaining about lesson planning that don't have more tan 3 lesson plans ready for next term.

I don't do the desk warming gig. I use my vacation days during the breaks (but come in Mon and Wed for afterschool classes thus using less vacation days than most... Should have 6-7 left for summer!).

If I did desk warm, sure I would make a lesson plan IF I knew what grades I was teaching... or even knew what books I would be using. At the moment don't know either. Sitting in my 'office' with the other Korean subject teachers  watching them do the same thing as me... Nothing!

Offline DevilMogun

• Super Waygook
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2011, 10:38:24 AM »
@ eider 
Off the topic here...has anyone gotten their vacation days shortened due to half days that were taken during exam days which the school gave permissions for???

Yes,  my previous Principal sprung that one on me last year when I gave the dates I wanted to take my holidays.  He was a mean piece of work and seemed to be willing to do anything within his power to make my life just that little bit harder here.  Fortunately he left last March.  The worst of it was that I had no redress other than to complain to my co-teacher, who advised me to 'call in sick' for the same days.

"She lacks the indefinable charm of weakness" Oscar Wilde

Offline isanghan

• Veteran
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2011, 10:46:27 AM »
What bothers me about deskwarming is when it's truly unecessary. In my case, as my 2011/2012 contract was suddenly voided by my school, I find it unecessary. In these two weeks, I have to clean and pack up my apartment, find and move into a new apartment, and find some time in which to complete the orientation/training for the new job I secured. However, I'm expected to sit at my desk from 08:40 to 16:40, with nothing productive to do in that time.

That said, if I were staying here for another year (as I had previously counted on), I would welcome the time to organize my lesson plans, and to create/improve upon other lessons.

There should be some sort of middle ground here, between (what seems to be the currently accepted notion of) staying in the office/classroom for the full eight hours with no clearly defined reason and (the other option some schools seem to be doing) giving teachers an extra two weeks of vacation. I wouldn't mind coming in for some half-days, if given the option.

Offline derbear86

• Veteran
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2011, 10:52:32 AM »
This is for those asking, "how should I work on my lessons when I don't know what I'll be teaching next semester!?" There are ways around this dilemma. I have on numerous occasions recycled old materials into new ones. These old materials have needed to be improved and adapted first however, so why not start by going back and improving your old lessons and activities? Surely they’re not perfect!
Also, regardless of the new students and textbooks arriving, you can still be sure of some vocabulary and grammatical points that will most certainly be covered. Make some activities about these.
In addition, if you make a game or activity template, it does not matter what you will be teaching in the future! So when the time comes that you do know what you must teach, preparing the game will be as simple as filling in the blanks. In under an hour you will have a cool and fun activity ready to go.
Prepare for what will come!

Offline ilovehaters

• Adventurer
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »
to Lprice

dude you complain too much man , use the time wisely ,
find something to do
we all got brains.
if you don't like it here than GO BACK . lol
don't forget we all work for THEM , we don't own the school ,
they hired us so even if it sux we have to be humble to them.

i hear so many whinging like ' oh its in korean ' ' i don't understand korean culture'
'they can't speak english '

well than try hard to understand this culture , are you really trying to get along with the  koreans ?
anyways
i reckon complaing should stop and be humble with what we have.

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2011, 11:11:54 AM »
ilovehaters........ I think you have missed the spirit of this thread. Take time to read all the responses.  It is unnecessary to make a comment like 'if you don't like that, then go back'. Many people have made many valid comments about the mindless practice of desk warming.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline jehall

• Veteran
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2011, 11:19:48 AM »
Yeah, I don't think desk warming is worth fighting your bosses over, but I understand why people question it.

And ilovehaters... I do agree that some people seem to complain over little things, but saying you have to be humble to someone who hired you even if it sux is a crazy statement. That justifies letting your boss do anything to you. For the record, I have no problems with desk warming. As long as I get my 20 days of vacation in the contract, what's the big deal.

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
I guess we could spend a few minutes to edit ilovehaters post  ;)

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Ha ha Wretchard...... good one !!!!  :) :) :) :) :) :)
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline joseph921

• Super Waygook
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2011, 11:54:53 AM »
there is some truth behind what he said though.  I'm sure most of us NET's are highly professional, respectful ppl, but let's be honest here, compared to the eastern culture, most of us do complain quite a lot, give our schools difficulty, and some of us just give a bad name/reputation to the rest of us.

When I talked to my CT today, I asked him about the situation going on with the GEPIK NET cuts.  He told me the top reason was "money" obviously, bu the second highest reason was that many NETs throughout korea (and over the many years), have built a very bad reputation for the rest of us.  He said, those that go laid off or contracts not renewed were due to unprofessionalism, and lack of educational helpfulness in the class.  The money is therefore transferred to other areas of the school that could use it.  I understood what he meant.  I had heard of numerous stories of how some ppl that come to korea to teach are here just to have fun.  They know they get free plane tickets, can get paid for teaching ABCs, vacation to neighboring countries, and have a lively nightlife/drinking life here in Korea, use up all the sick days they are entitled to (when really not sick), and demand for higher pay every year etc.

I feel very sad for those of us who really want to be professional and highly respectful to our employers, but are getting the axe for the bad reputation built up by others in the past.  I can understand why Korea is looking into hiring teachers for half the wages as us from places like India and the Philippines where those ppl will never complain, work their asses off.  I hope we aren't getting replaced by low wage english teachers from these countries. 

Offline joseph921

• Super Waygook
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2011, 12:05:52 PM »
This is not to answer the original question, but after reading this, I wonder… why are people so thrown off by being at school with no students? Legit teachers around the world have days where no students come and there are no particular tasks assigned, but we call those days “teacher WORK days”. Desk-Warming seems to me to be a term, which when used to describe one’s behavior, speaks volumes about his/her work ethic. (I believe with confidence that the teacher who taught you to read came in many summer days and probably some late nights and weekends)

Do you care deeply about your students as learners and just as people? It’s deeply rewarding to put someone’s needs above your own comfort. Here are some ideas of what you could do if you can’t think of any: plan ways to encourage your students, develop new games and activities, create displays for your visual learners, think of new rules and procedures to implement that will give all students the best chance to learn in a place where they feel secure…

jchoe: agreed with your posting.  I don't know why ppl think it's 'deskwarming'.  There are always a lot
of things one can do during that time (lesson prep, brush up on your teaching/english skills, decorate
your classroom, tweak your lesson plans or devise new games and ideas to make classroom time more
effective, etc.).  I personally enjoy these times, because the school is very quiet and I am free to
plan and schedule my own week as to what I want to do and get done.  Why complain?