January 23, 2019, 04:55:08 PM

Author Topic: Detective Camp!  (Read 169220 times)

Offline rookiewaygook

• Veteran
Re: Detective Winter camp! (middle school)
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2011, 12:42:58 PM »
Whitespider, I just wanted to thank you so much! I am probably going to use a handful of your concepts and materials, and you've inspired me to make more!

They are very adamant that I make a cooking day for my detective themed camp. If anybody has any ideas, that'd be great!

Msg to everybody using whitespider's materials: Give her Karma points  :laugh

Offline wgensel

• Adventurer
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2011, 07:59:46 AM »
  • Fixed the diary so it prints right
  • Fixed all hyperlinks in the choose your own adventure game

Offline Florence7

• Adventurer
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »
  • Fixed the diary so it prints right
  • Fixed all hyperlinks in the choose your own adventure game

i found this on waygook i think. it's the recipe for a Chocolate Mug Cake. I've done sandwiches before and pancakes. Had a problem with one of the cookers though - it caught fire, and set fire to the table. all a bit dramatic, hence i've been banned from using cookers in camp. all you need for this one is a microwave. they bring their own mugs to school.

4T flour, 4T sugar, 4T baking cocoa, 1 egg, 3T milk, 3T oil, Chocolate chips

Add dry ingerdients to mug and mix well.
Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips and vanilla and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 min on high.
Allow to cool a little and tip out on to a plate if desired.

Not my recipe - but i'm dying to try it out this weekend!

Offline arhwarang

• Waygookin
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2011, 03:01:44 PM »
aaaaaaah!  I still don't understand #3 on the code door locks!  The arrows are so confusing...Help!

Offline arhwarang

• Waygookin
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2011, 03:07:59 PM »
I think I get it ...just one slight error on your answer code explanation for three whitespider...Messed me all up! 

the first symbol < should be > for right... 

I thought I was just going crazy... :-\

One more thing...how do I give karmas?

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2011, 01:36:45 PM »
Hi,
 White spider, I can't thank you enough for all the hard hours you spent on putting this camp together!! I got so excited to teach it the more I read about it. Even tho I teach elementary I decided to adapt it, if not for my kids, than for myself!

Here's my lesson plan (a little rough but workable) for my 15 day Summer camp with 4th, 5th, 6th graders. I also changed the Mr. X talks so each one is assigned to a day. Still have a bunch of simplifying to do, but have 2 weeks to get it together and I'm more than happy to with a fun topic like this!

Offline khowes

• Waygookin
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2011, 08:29:54 PM »
I may be overthinking this, but can someone explain how the guess who 'gang' activity works (Day 6)? Do I choose one of the 3 gangs on the handout and the students have to guess which one I choose? I am a little confused about all the other gangs mentioned in the example.

Any clarification would be helpful! :D

Offline BadgerBacker4ever34

• Waygookin
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2011, 09:56:46 AM »
Wow...I don't even know where to begin.  I set out to start making a detective camp and then stumbled upon your masterpiece.  I can't thank you enough for giving me a great framework for my camp (three hours a day for two weeks).  I do have a few questions though.

First, did you ever get a chance to photoshop picture #4 for Lesson 3?
Second, the Mini Mystery for Lesson 8/9 doesn't have an answer key.  What are the answers?
Lastly, I still can't seem to figure out code #3 in Lesson 8/9.  I tried to follow the corrections you discussed in the thread, but I'm still confused.

Thanks again!

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »
Here are the decoded messages: (if you're still trying to solve them, don't read below) but it seems people are struggling to figure it out and it took me at least an hour, so hope it's helpful to save some people the time.

Left side of paper:
Message 1:
To Mr. Pink. Meet me at the PC bang to talk about when we will kill Dawn. From Mr. Black.

Message 2:
To Mr. Black. OK. I'll be there. Can we play some --maple??--story whlie we are there? From P.  (clearly not sure about this one and even if that's the name of a computer game in Korea, but that's what my head came up with! )

Right side of paper:
Message 3: No we can't play games. This is serious. Meet me at 10pm. Mr. Black.

Message 4:
Fine. I'll play games with my other friends. See you at 10.  Pink.

Left side of paper:
Symbol coded messages:
Thanks for meeting me. We will meet again at the time we talked about.

Message 6:
Can you tell me what time again? I can't remember.

Message 7:
Black, You are the worst murder assistant ever. We're killing her at midnight tomorrow. Pink

Message 8:
Ok, I'll be at the PC Bang. Pink.

Since I'm adapting it for elementary, I'll be making it a lot easier with more letter hints!! Thanks again white spider. Cute messages!!

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
Haha. Those are all correct. Maple story is a game (you were right) your students will almost certainly know it.

BadgerBacker4ever34: I'll put the photoshoped 4th pic up tonight. It's ready and waiting on my computer at home. Is anyone else still having trouble with the 3rd code? I might have not explained it correctly. I can't remember what the mini mystery for day 8.9 is but I'll check it out tonight.

khowes: Ummmmmmm....I'll get back to you on this. I can't remember.

I'm in the process of sorting out everything. When that's done I'll upload a nice neat compressed file so you can just download it all in one go. hopefully I'll have time to add proper instructions too (though I'm not promising anything new because I haven't finished making the camp I need to teach this summer yet)

Offline mycombs

• Veteran
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2011, 03:51:55 PM »
Here is an Excel file, detailing all the lessons in one-page. Shows what assets are needed on each day, and gives a description of each day. Should make organizing this material much easier. Perhaps Whitespider can look this over, and see if anything is missing?
I haven't taught this yet, but like may others here, I plan on doing so this summer.
Cheers to you all!
"Signature"

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2011, 10:18:03 PM »
Heres the 4th picture for the eye spy.
You may want to photoshop some things into the pics if you cant find them because some things are really tricky/impossible to find.

Offline BadgerBacker4ever34

• Waygookin
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2011, 10:29:29 AM »
I finally figured out Code #3 for Lesson 9.  What you said made sense, I just got confused because 7 of the 12 clues were on the first line with 5 on the second.  You are correct, if you change the two instances of where left is spelled out to right and put 6 clues on each line it makes perfect sense.

I did find something else puzzling.  You had mentioned that Lesson 2 could be very difficult.  I'm finding that out first hand!

For part of the missing people files exercise I'm not sure where students are supposed to get the information from.  Where are they supposed to find Little Red's age, Miss Felix's weight or what Dr. Holly Dwarf wears.

Then in the 'Who's not the missing secretary?' part, how are they supposed to figure out who is not the secretary because she is neat and tidy?

Thanks again for your help.

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »
Good news everyone!

I've uploaded a zip file of the whole camp, complete with all Mr. X Sound files, mistake free worksheets (hopefully) and neat(ish) formatting. It's in the first post so its easy to find.

If you have any questions or can't work something please download the zipped stuff. It's highly likely that you can't figure something out because there is are mistakes in the resources you have. If you still have questions after you've looked at the updated stuff then ask away :)

Offline Florence7

• Adventurer
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »
Thank you so much whitespider! truly, this must have taken you hours to put together and i am very grateful.

i've put this into a 5 day camp, but have another mystery murder which i'm using. basically they have to solve two murder/missing persons cases during the week. one lasts a day. the other one lasts about 3 days (your one).

we're watching Sherlock Holmes along the way as well. Good back up.

Offline mycombs

• Veteran
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
Hot Damn, Whitespider! Thanks for getting this all zipped up just in time for Summer Camp. I will go through the files over the next days and see if I am missing anything. You're a true hero.
I am going to make a poster for this Summer Camp, and advertise it in every homeroom tomorrow. My school has loads of classes happening at the same time, so I have stiff competition.
What do you think of this idea: A silhouette of a man in a fedora, holding a mug-shot placard that reads "Who is Mr. X?" Does that make sense? I will upload a PDF of it, if people want. (It is sometimes useful to have been a graphic designer in a past life...)
"Signature"

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
That sounds awesome! I would totally pick your camp.

It'd be cool to see your poster. Also If you've made any changes to things I'm sure people would like to see them too (what with you being a graphic designer and all) I was cringing while I fixed things up at how scruffy the power points are. If I had time I'd bash them into shape with my upgraded powerpointing skills but I have too much to do :(

There are some new files that got left out before in with the zipped stuff as well as teacher instructions and other stuff and things. So yeah, it's worth looking through it all again if you're doing something like this camp.

Offline amandas

• Veteran
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2011, 01:07:13 PM »
Great Camp WhiteSpider!!!  I really think my students will have a great time with this. 
Thanks so much for taking the time to put this material together!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:49:14 PM by amandas »

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2011, 01:32:03 PM »
I've simplified the 'Missing Evidence' list for my elementary students. Kept the same letters so the code wouldn't be mixed up, but changed the items.  Except for X men! Might have to photoshop that one in since any substitutes didn't easily come to mind in the picture for X.

Also just for info (the pics I spy order I got confused) but as I understand it pic 1 (fridge), pic 2 (bed), pic 3 (bathroom cabinet), pic 4 (floor).

Offline shkim85

• Waygookin
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2011, 03:24:13 PM »
Wow. Impressive. Though I feel a bit overwhelmed with the load of content. =) Hope I can use this.
Thank you =)