March 22, 2019, 02:23:43 AM

Author Topic: Detective Camp!  (Read 171519 times)

Offline panurge

• Waygookin
Re: Detective Winter camp! (middle school)
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »
Dunno why I can't figure it out, but what's the plan for day 2?   Am I missing something?

Offline cilikimchi

• Waygookin
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
fantastic scavenger hunt~~

i'd really like to use it for my summer camp this year

have you had time to put together an outline for the camp?

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2011, 02:21:34 PM »
I never finished the overview and now I'm in the middle of planning summer camp so I don't really have time. I'll update all the posts in this thread with basic instructions though and if you have any other questions just ask :) I'll try to remember to check every few days.

Offline i love summer

• Explorer
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2011, 08:00:41 AM »
hey whitespider!! 
thank you for all your hard work.  you have an amazing imagination.  i was just wondering about the mini mystery ppt for day 2.  it seems that some slides are not hyperlinked.  can i fix that on my end or should i download it again?  i'm not very ppt savy.  thanks!!

Offline missp

• Explorer
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2011, 12:53:18 PM »
This is the best camp plan I have seen!

Just few probs- the Mr X def does't work on the ppt which is ok but I think even the sound files are a bit cut out. If I do not hear for myself what Mr X says, is it a problem? or can the teacher figure out everything anyway and Mr x just adds fun?

Also, the last few files in .odt format will not open on my computer to save my life. Can somebody clever pleeease convert them to .doc?

Thanks everyone!

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2011, 08:36:54 AM »
i love summer - yeah, the mini mystery for day 2 somehow went all crazy-nuts. You can  fix the hyperlinks (look at Daejeon's hyperlinking tutorial if you're not sure how to do it) Or there are a bunch of much much better correctly hyperlinked choose your own adventure games on this site. It takes about a million years to hyperlink everything so if you want to save time maybe just use one of those?

missp - I'm really sorry about the Mr. X stuff. If I have time I'll fix it (my powerpoint making skill levels have definitely gone up since I made this camp). I uploaded the raw text so you can make your own recordings using one of the text to speech programs if you want to (or you can just read it to the students). The .odt files open in openoffice which is an awesome set of free programs pretty much the same as microsoft office. You should download it! I think the only reason I left those files in .odt was because the formatting got all mucked up when I converted them to microsoft office formats.

Thanks for all the compliments guys :)

Also, check out my shiny new camp!  http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,15336.0.html

Offline thebryn

• Adventurer
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2011, 10:54:18 AM »
absolutely epic thank you guys. I'm going to adapt this to a super heros theme for day 3 of summer camp then talk travelling days 4 an 5. (grade 3 middle) Huge help, thanks again
The secret to happiness: Find something more important than you are and dedicate your life to it

Offline thebryn

• Adventurer
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »
Absolutely epic thank you guys. I'm going to adapt some of this to a super heros theme for day 3 of summer camp then talk travelling days 4 an 5. (grade 3 middle)
Huge help, thanks again
The secret to happiness: Find something more important than you are and dedicate your life to it

Offline minx

• Waygookin
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2011, 11:11:48 AM »
Yes this camp was superb for my Grade 2 students in Middle School. They had a blast.

They loved the clue hunt and being able to create their own groups and determine this skills. I also made my own CLUE board game as it fitted in nicely with the theme.

However I only utilised some of the camp activities, as I also included 'Zombies attack' activities for the remainder of the week to put the 'detectives' through a little thrilling action :)

I attached the black and white picture I used to make the Clue board. (could not make a colour copy unfortunately). I also attached a colour picture.

You can modify the size to suite you, however I could only do a maximum size of B5. Once you print the two halves you can glue them both onto a large piece of card board and you will have your clue board :)

For the cards I used a blank template of cut out small cards. Again the size can be modified to suite you. I had the students design their own Clue cards, however I  showed them  the  information that should be on the various cards. 

Once the students in their groups had made the cards for the rooms, the people and the weapons, I  explained to them how to play the game. The students must also make an extra copy of each weapon and person card in order to use when it is their turn.

I then handed out to each player, a detective note sheet prior to beginning the game.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:04:03 PM by minx »

Offline arhwarang

• Waygookin
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
Just wanted to thank you for these invaluable resources.  I'm planning to include most of your work in my summer camp this year.  After going over Day 1 materials and PPT I found myself literally clapping at the office because of how clear it was.  I'm actually getting excited because of the whole theme idea .  And i guess that's what its all about right?....TEachers actually excited to teach...  Thanks again...

Offline DaniM

• Waygookin
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »
Hi!

Thanks SO much for the fab materials, its looks Awesome with a capital A!

Can I second the request for the .odt docs on Days 7 - 10 to be uploaded here as .docs, my old schools (pun intended) computer needs all the help it can get!

Ta :)

Offline jenglish

• Super Waygook
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2011, 02:20:09 PM »
I'm doing a dectective camp for elementary.  Just in the planning stages but some websites I've found that have some good activities:

http://www.educationworld.com/a_tsl/archives/02-1/lesson036.shtml
http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/natethegreat/

Nate the Great is a great series for lower grades with many terrific activities in the back of each book.  Some of them I'll post later once I've scanned them in.

http://www.fbi.gov/fun-games/kids/kids

Offline jenglish

• Super Waygook
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2011, 02:43:17 PM »
Some scanned pages.

Offline tomatobasil

• Newgookin
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »
Has anyone tried turning this into a 5 day lesson. I have to teach 4 (45 minute) classes a day. I haven't done this lesson at all is it worth trying to break it down like that?

Offline arhwarang

• Waygookin
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »
Yes...my camps are also 5 day camps.  I haven't figured it out yet but I'm pretty sure you can omit or combine some days.  All up to you...I do have a question...  Day nine has a sequence code activity.  I can't seem to figure out the first three. 

Offline Fran111

• Waygookin
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2011, 10:46:26 AM »
The person that created this is a pure genius!
It is truly spectacular - and has saved my "I've only been here three months HOW do I teach" ass...
Thank you!

Just one question - have you had any luck finding Picture 4 for the I-Spy game....also fabulous.

Cheers.

Offline CellarDoor

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »
Okay, just for you guys I downloaded Korean OpenOffice and converted the files to .doc!  I haven't fiddled with any of the formatting, just saved it over so I could open it with MS Word.  Haha, I haven't even decided for sure what my high school camp topic will be, but this material looks amazing.  Side note: I don't exactly understand the detective diary!

I didn't include the ppt for days 8 or 9 because they were already in .ppt format.  But here we go, converted files:

Offline CellarDoor

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2011, 10:55:12 AM »
Part 2 with the rest of the day 10 (or in general) files:

Enjoy!  :D  Thank you SO much, WhiteSpider for all these amazing materials.  I know you're busy with your next set of camps, but I appreciate you returning to post the rest of the files for us--thanks so much. :)

Yes...my camps are also 5 day camps.  I haven't figured it out yet but I'm pretty sure you can omit or combine some days.  All up to you...I do have a question...  Day nine has a sequence code activity.  I can't seem to figure out the first three.

I'm not sure if there are errors or if I just can't get #2...  Code 1 seems to be about number of legs that the animal has.  So the missing words can be any 4-legged animal (haha, clever!).  I haven't figured out 2 and 3 yet, still working on those. 2 seems like it should be: "eno - eerht - __________ - neves - etc...." but it's not.  Hmm.  I have NO idea what the arrow one is.  I've got scattered post-it notes all over my desk trying to work it out right now, haha.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:20:19 AM by CellarDoor »

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »
It seems the gang guess who thingy was missing form day 6 (good spotting wgensel!) so I've attached it here.

Tamatobasil- I think you could turn it into a 5 day camp. You'd just need to fiddle things round a bit.

Arhwarang - Crap, no wonder you couldn't figure it, I accidentally uploaded the old version that has some mistakes.
The first code is number of legs on things in a pattern 8, 6, 4, 2, 0, 2, 4, 6, 8. So you can use any four legged animal in the spaces (this one is correct on the worksheet).
The second is just numbers spelt backwars in this pattern: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 but the second word should be eerht not owt.
For the third one the two 'left's should be 'right's to make it  < __ ^  v > v   repeat   > < ^ v > v so the missing thing is 'left' as a word (because if it was an arrow in the first half it must be a word in the second half)
The Fourth one is correct. It's just feelings/emotions in the starting with a, b, c, d etc.

I have 3 days of no classes next week because of exams so I'm hoping to get all of this stuff cleaned up and upload everything as .ppt and .doc files...so yeah, hopefully I'll be able to iron out most of the millions of problems then.

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2011, 12:08:48 PM »
Oh no CellarDoor! The code doesn't even make sense! Your post-its were for nothing...I'm super sorry. I'll try to fix everything up and upload it on Monday. The detective diary is meant to be made into a little booklet (that's why the pages are in a funny order - it works when you print it) that the kids write in at the end of each day.

Also, Fran111, I have found pic 4. It's of my bathroom cupboard and unfortunately when I took it I didn't realise that I was reflected in the mirror (wearing only my underwear :S) I don't want to crop it while I'm at school because my computer is in the main teachers office and it would be rather awkward if half my school saw me editing pics of me semi naked...so yeah, I'll try to remember to do it at home.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:14:41 PM by whitespider »