March 21, 2019, 11:38:43 AM

Author Topic: Detective Camp!  (Read 171457 times)

Offline kitty.cat

• Veteran
Re: Detective Camp!
« Reply #260 on: December 30, 2013, 03:52:32 PM »
Here is the link to a Spy Camp  I did. It went okay for me. You might want to tailor it to your needs if you;re going to use it.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,58038.msg375381.html#msg375381

Offline toomanyvickies

• Newgookin
« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »
I was gonna do this camp (today was day 1) and already made some supplies for it but my students are at a much lower level than I thought (thanks to a miscommunication with my co-t about which grades I was teaching). Day 1 today, they were just staring at me like … O_O. I hope someone else might be able to use some of it, though.

My students are elementary (4 classes a day, 2 low level and 2 conversation) so I changed the crime to a kidnapping (Obama) and the murder of the secretary was going to be Hello Kitty (hopefully, less scary). Anyway, some of it has things that only apply to my situation but feel free to change things around. If anything, the Intro PPT got a good laugh, though I'm not sure about the formatting once I upload it here. There's supposed to be 007 music.

Anyway, help yourself. And let me know if anyone has any ideas on how to simplify (no co-t and VERY low level students) these activities. Right now, I'm starting from scratch right as my camp is starting…

Thanks to whitespider for the wonderful ideas! I borrowed a lot of 'em!

Offline s.phieros

• Adventurer
« Reply #262 on: June 27, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »
This is amazing work!! Thank you for your brilliance.
You have an incredible amount of creativity and patience.
I was wondering where the zip files are though. 
I might be missing it, but I can't find it.

thank you, and thanks again for such a great idea.

Offline s.phieros

• Adventurer
« Reply #263 on: June 27, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »
See the bottom of this page for  Zip files of the whole camp!

PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TWO ZIP FILES - don't download all the other files I have uploaded. There are no/less mistakes in the zipped stuff and it will save you downloading a million individual files.

Good luck with your camp  ;)

Where is the zip file? i can not seem to find it... thanks!

Neither can I, I have been through the pages twice!

Offline damof

• Super Waygook
« Reply #264 on: June 29, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »
Great material here. I changed the structure of it because I have 10 day camp. Also, my co-t was iffy about the murder, so I changed it to a missing person.

Offline damof

• Super Waygook
« Reply #265 on: June 29, 2014, 03:41:52 PM »
week two

For a laugh, I made Mr X Sherlock Holmes.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:45:13 PM by damof »

Offline kaylarose87

• Waygookin
« Reply #266 on: July 01, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »
So far this looks great! I will use it and adapt it for my summer camp which is only 5 days long. I wanted to say that in your ppt day 3, your ppt still says "murdered" not "kidnapped". Just in case you haven't started yet you might want to change that before your class! Thanks again.

Offline LockStock

• Veteran
« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2014, 09:01:31 AM »
Hey guys, fantastic work!

This camp looks awesome.

I've been looking at all the comments and no-one seems to have answered this question.

day 1: Once the students have answered 'yes' or 'no' for the detective class, how do you determine the class?

Do you count the amount of yes' per column and the one with the most is their class??

Please help

Offline damof

• Super Waygook
« Reply #268 on: July 06, 2014, 06:39:45 PM »

I've included the booklet I did with it. It's a bit of a mess. I really just edit it on the day to suit how the camp was going, but it might be helpful

day 1: Once the students have answered 'yes' or 'no' for the detective class, how do you determine the class?

Do you count the amount of yes' per column and the one with the most is their class??

Please help

See the grid on the booklet. Each column is assigned a class of detective. The class they're assigned is just the one that has the most hits.

Offline benyah81

• Adventurer
« Reply #269 on: July 10, 2014, 10:55:45 PM »
Amazing! 

However, is there an alternative for http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php 

as it sounds so bad :(

Unreal work though. I changed a lot around so far and added more gifs and pics to the ppt. I also changed all mini mysteries to make them modern.

I used alien invasion, zombie apocolypse, disguise game, bond game, and police Vs robbers as can be found on here.

I also added news interviews when the case changes to murder. As the camps lacks in conversation.

I added creating a missing person poster and added a missing persons report to make the poster from. Students highlight the important words and add them to a poster.

I also added a secret agent part where kids have to work out the new secret agent. Finding the agent meant they found the clues for the next activity.

I also changed the lemon juice completely. Bought black lights and marker. Took photos of 8 random items close up, so it was hard to see what they were, then let the kids go find them and find the words I had written.

Great work... I can upload later when I completely finish.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:13:21 PM by benyah81 »

Offline baum89

• Newgookin
« Reply #270 on: December 19, 2014, 07:35:26 AM »
Great work... I can upload later when I completely finish.

Say benyah81, you wouldnt still have these material would you? I am looking to augment my upcoming winter camp!

Offline withmatt

• Super Waygook
« Reply #271 on: December 31, 2014, 01:15:47 PM »
I made 30 bingo cards with detective vocabulary.

I also made a detective journal that they can write in at the end of each day.  My students will spend the last 10 minutes every day cleaning up and writing their journal.  This is great because when they go home, everything they learned is fresh in their mind.  So if mom or your principal ask the students about camp they MIGHT say "I learned about detective work" instead of "we had a ball fight and played games"

they can write things they learned about vocab words or during activities.

then they give themselves a rating of how they performed on that day, 1-5 stars.  The 3 categories are teamwork, attitude, and trying their best.

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #272 on: January 02, 2015, 02:27:47 PM »
****EDIT I will be removing all of my materials as waygook.org wants to now charge you for something they did not create. If you would like a COPY FOR FREE, please inbox me and I would be more than happy to send you the materials. I would recommend all other users with  uploaded materials to do the same.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:43:42 PM by Schellib39 »

Offline baum89

• Newgookin
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2015, 11:07:23 AM »
Awesome, thank you so much for the video links Schellib39! That will work great as a backup/ time-filler.

Offline Artisis

• Veteran
« Reply #274 on: February 03, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
For my detective day, I taught my students the importance of the question words.

After a brief review, the students were places in groups and each group was given a story about a "funny criminal" .

They filled out a worksheet (what was the crime, when did it happen, how did they get caught etc..) based off of the crimes.

This was a little hard for my students (5th/6th graders) so many better for middle school.

Anyways, I have attached the power points, the stories (cut each section and give one story to each group), the worksheet and a dictionary (my coteacher translated the words).

Offline Artisis

• Veteran
« Reply #275 on: February 03, 2015, 01:15:01 PM »
This is a reading card game called dobble using detective vocabulary. My students LOVED this game. This game is adaptable to any lesson but I am posting the version I used for my detective day camp.

Here is an overview of the game.

Students play in small groups. Each group as their own deck.

1 way to play the game: Get rid of cards
Everyone gets 5 cars. The deck is placed FACE UP.
When students find a word on the card that is face up that matches a word on their card, they place their card on the pile.
The first person to get rid of their cards is the winner.

Another way to play: Give cards to your friends
Deck in the middle face up.
Each person has one card that is on the table face up so everyone can see.
Match the words on the first card of the deck with those of your friends.
If you see a match, give them that card.
The game is over when there are no more cards in the deck.
The winner is the person with the LEAST amount of cards.

Based on a real game: http://www.boardgameguys.ie/sites/bggnew/files/Dobble_rules_english.PDF

HOW TO EDIT THE CARDS
Open in excel.
Click on "sheet 2" at the bottom. Type in your current lesson's vocabulary.

Offline Artisis

• Veteran
« Reply #276 on: March 01, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »
HOW TO EDIT THE CARDS
Open in excel.
Click on "sheet 2" at the bottom. Type in your current lesson's vocabulary.

Look at the attached picture for further clarification.

Offline chuckk

• Newgookin
« Reply #277 on: July 09, 2015, 05:29:26 PM »
Thanks from me, too, this is spectacular. I can't imagine how much work this was.
I still can't download the 4th picture of the missing evidence, but I think I will skip that activity anyway, because I have 5 days, the photos aren't very clear, I don't want to use up the camp's printer ink. Neat idea, though.

Also, here is the choose-your-own-adventure with links fixed.

About the lemon juice, I also noticed that it's often easy to read because it wrinkles the paper. A simple solution I found is to write something else over it in regular blue ink. It's harder to see the wrinkles and it's more spy-like! When you heat the ink, it's easy to read both the blue and the brown, on top of each other.
-Chuckk

Offline draco888

• Super Waygook
« Reply #278 on: July 22, 2015, 09:21:34 AM »
Here's the tasting lesson. The Korean has been checked by a CT.

5 different ways to taste - the PPT only lists 4 of the 5

Online bluehermione

• Veteran
« Reply #279 on: July 23, 2015, 01:52:37 PM »
This is my version. (Thanks for the great idea and materials, OP!) I just completed a 3-day camp, using materials from various parts of this thread (and possibly other parts of Waygook) as well as new materials that I created. The camp went pretty well, I think.

I themed it based on the BBC "Sherlock" series and gave the students an overarching mission of finding out who kidnapped Dr. Watson, completing mini challenges along the way to earn clues about the kidnapper. I also re-made the choose-your-own-adventure game. On the last day, we watched "Sherlock" Episode 1.

If anyone is interested in seeing the rest of my materials or has any questions, let me know! Hope it helps someone. :azn: