March 22, 2019, 02:07:29 AM

Author Topic: Detective Camp!  (Read 171518 times)

Offline CellarDoor

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
Re: Detective Camp!
« Reply #220 on: December 21, 2012, 04:36:57 PM »
For those using the zip files of the camp, there seem to be a few items missing from the compilation.

So far I noticed that the "Choose Your Own Adventure" ppt is missing, as is the PPT from day 7.  These are in the thread elsewhere, but I didn't find them in the zip collection and thought I'd post a heads-up in case you're downloading this to use on short notice.

Offline Suz-goose

• Super Waygook
« Reply #221 on: December 27, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »
My coworkers got them online with K-subs for me. I am a bit pants with computers. If you have skills the full movies are on youtube and you could probably download the subs from somewhere  :undecided:. Failing that there are tons of little dvd stores kicking around in Korea, find one in your neighbourhood and rent them it's really cheap.

Offline gwonmigyeong

• Explorer
« Reply #222 on: December 28, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
thanks

Offline Obeewan

• Adventurer
« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2013, 10:02:48 AM »
This is a great camp, lots of hard work gone into this and am really grateful for all the input....
Although at the risk of sounding rather lame, are there any answer sheets to the Day 9 'door locks'. For the life of me I cant seem to figure out the 1st and 4th one? I know I will kick myself when I find out...

cheers Obee...

Offline Obeewan

• Adventurer
« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
What a palava!!
I am also trying to put the diary together and cant figure it out.
I saw another link where someone else attached the daily diary file set up to print both sides. Both this and the original from whitespider ended up looking the same, only to have one side of the pages upside down...

just as well i am not one of your students as i would be a right pain in the....

obee.

Offline CellarDoor

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2013, 11:31:55 PM »
What a palava!!
I am also trying to put the diary together and cant figure it out.
I saw another link where someone else attached the daily diary file set up to print both sides. Both this and the original from whitespider ended up looking the same, only to have one side of the pages upside down...

just as well i am not one of your students as i would be a right pain in the....

obee.

Did you cut the pages longways?  You have to cut the pages down the middle of the paper longways, so you have two long, thin strips of detective diary pages.  You also have to make sure they're double-sided. I had to check to make sure I was running them through the copier correctly.  It took me two tries to print and cut it properly, but it really does work (the print order version).

Offline CellarDoor

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
Re: Detective Winter camp! (middle school)
« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2013, 12:56:42 AM »
Hi,

I don't know if anyone else had trouble finding 'x-man' in the 2nd pic for I-spy day, so I had my friend in the states photoshop Wolverine in the photo. Not hidden too well since it's for my elementary students, but may be useful to some people.

Yeah, I had tons of trouble with that.  Finally found the word 'x-man' written on a tiny slip of paper sitting on the top book.  Glad your friend photoshopped Wolverine in. :)

And...
First day of camp went well!  I'm teaching 2.5 hours a day for 5 days to first and second grade high school boys and girls.  One boy slept the entire class, but the other 24 students (huge class!!!) were thoroughly active the whole time.

I ended up just combining days 1 and 2 of Whitespider's original schedule.  That is a LOT of content.  So we'll start the school-wide clue hunt tomorrow.  That'll be interesting.

For those who are condensing this camp, I recommend taking even more time to prep this than you think you need, if you want to run the camp right.  Hah, this'll be a looong night of re-planning.

I'm especially thankful to mycombs for the [page 8] addition of some back story for Dawn.  That may just be the added content I need since my high school students are moving through some of the activities a little more quickly than I expected.

Not quite sure how I'll end the camp, since I want to avoid the showdown with the VT shooter, but I may see if there's a plot twist I can build in using previously mentioned characters (like Mr. X's son, or Old Gregor or someone).

Whitespider, you're amazing!  Thank you to infinity!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:09:51 PM by CellarDoor »

Offline WestMeetsEast

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2013, 08:18:19 AM »
I didn't have to cut the diary at all.  It just required 3 pieces of paper with 2 diary entries on either side then I folded it down the middle...

Granted I entirely changed the formatting which whitespider provided for it.

Offline TWhitehead

• Waygookin
« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »
Your Detective Camp is amazing! You put so much work and thought into it. My kids are having such a great time and you made my job easy. Thanks a bunch   ;D

Offline TWhitehead

• Waygookin
« Reply #229 on: January 08, 2013, 08:23:59 AM »
Small thing. Someone might have pointed it out or maybe I downloaded it and my computer did something weird but Powerpoint - Day 7 is missing in the zip file. I found it very easily in the thread but just wanted to let you know.

Offline WestMeetsEast

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #230 on: January 08, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
Yeah I'd just like to say both my students and my co teacher love the detective camp.

I'm on to day 5.

As my camp is a 12 day camp I'm adding in a catchup day for the less able students where I'll be using the mini mysteries [as I never have time in class] for those that are caught up.

In addition, I'll be replacing the video day on Day 12 and I'm having Day 11 as police report day where students have to make a presentation to their superiors [myself/coteacher] about the case.  Day 12 is now presenting followed by a pizza party.

Offline Obeewan

• Adventurer
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2013, 08:22:47 PM »
Hey Cheers for the advice and input here,

I figured out the diary issues and also using an alternative of day 5 with whitness accounts added in with the code cracking, so hopefully it flows over day 6 as am not sure how to make that work yet with the gangs.

Its brilliant work by the original creator 'whitespider'....I can see the force is strong with this one.

I really want to use the create your own adventure as its wicked!!!

Thanks for all the input,...although I had to make the daily plans of this into my school booklet, so if anyone comes across it you will know where it came from.

The kids are loving it and went from really shy and quiet on the first day to really excited and enthusiastic to try and guess who Mr X is. They all think its me ;-)

Any way cheers for all the work done white spider, am very very grateful..

EEEeeezy Now!!

Obeee...

Offline Rockryder

• Adventurer
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2013, 08:54:04 PM »
Thanks for the original creator and all the other people who have contributed to make this camp activity one of the best on this site.

i made a detective badge for my students.
i got a pic of a detective badge and edited some parts and added each student name on the badge.

Print, laminate and cut out for students.....

1st file is badge without students name
2nd file is an example with a student name

you can use a photo editor to add your students names on the 1st file.

Offline Eunyoung Sarah Cho

• Waygookin
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
Thanks. It really helps! 

Offline Eunyoung Sarah Cho

• Waygookin
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2013, 04:31:09 PM »
Thanks. It really helps!  Have a nice day!

Offline aalexandromoreno

• Veteran
« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2013, 07:34:28 PM »
I still don't understand Mini-Mystery 7 Where's Wally. There's one powerpoint and 4 print outs. I've gone through this entire thread again and again and I do not what I am missing. I'm so confused and frustrated.

"Find all the things on the list in the picture. Write the co-ordinates (___,___) for each thing."
What list what pictures?? What's the objective of this?

Offline Rockryder

• Adventurer
« Reply #236 on: January 14, 2013, 12:09:17 AM »
I still don't understand Mini-Mystery 7 Where's Wally. There's one powerpoint and 4 print outs. I've gone through this entire thread again and again and I do not what I am missing. I'm so confused and frustrated.

"Find all the things on the list in the picture. Write the co-ordinates (___,___) for each thing."
What list what pictures?? What's the objective of this?

I'm not doing the mini-mystery parts.

The file attached shows a Picture on a gird with things listed on the left side.

For day 7 mini-mystery, I'm guessing the students will have to look at the picture on the grid and find all the things listed on the left side of the page by writing the co-ordinate, such as Dog (R, 11).

I'm not sure why it's entitled Where Wally but i don't think the objective is to find wally.

Offline Dr.Worm

• Waygookin
« Reply #237 on: January 15, 2013, 11:58:01 AM »
Can anyone tell me the codes for day 9? The locks? I've searched every page of this thread twice and found nothing.
Thanks so much!

Offline WestMeetsEast

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #238 on: January 15, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »
Can anyone tell me the codes for day 9? The locks? I've searched every page of this thread twice and found nothing.
Thanks so much!

1. Animal legs [dog, cat, horse etc - 4 legs]
2. Reversed numbers [five, thirteen]
3. Directions pattern (left)
4. Feelings - I used Calm and Happy. [ABCDEFGH]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:15:17 PM by WestMeetsEast »

Offline Rockryder

• Adventurer
« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2013, 01:28:35 PM »
This is an ID Badge Case i design to go with the Detective Badge i posted earlier on.

Students will paste their Badge in the case, so it's best if you print on a thicker paper than the normal one.

The left side in side the cover is their ID and right side will have the badge.

As you can tell you have to print them front and back on the same paper.
I design it based on the way my printer prints on both sides of paper.
So i'll suggest you do a test on your printer and find out the order it prints and then prints one side (or odd numbers), then turn over the paper and print the next (or even numbers) on the other side.

Also if you wondering how inserted the image.
Select the image and then right click, select Format Auoshape
Select Fill Effect, under Fill tab
Select the Picture Tab and click on Select Picture then choose the picture.

Have Fun