March 22, 2019, 01:44:41 AM

Author Topic: Detective Camp!  (Read 171514 times)

Offline minx

• Waygookin
Re: Detective Winter camp! (middle school)
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 08:23:14 AM »
 :D :o :P ;D :laugh: 8) :-* this detective 5 day long camp lesson is absolutely great!

Thanks a bunch dude for the donation of your hard work. Very well done!!

Baie danki! Thank you very much !

Offline alex.lintzenich

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 01:27:56 PM »
Thanks for uploading the first 5 days, will you be putting up the last 5 days?  Everything looks great and am excited to try with my students.  I do have one question what does the C.F.P. mean on most of the worksheets?

Offline lillellis

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
WOW!!!

What a great idea!  This is awesome so far!  I teach all boys, and they will love it!  For Day One, I am having trouble finding the interview for Mini-Mystery #1.  Am I just missing it?  Is there a link or sound file I can use?  Thanks!~~

Offline gilly

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 09:27:37 AM »
Thanks this is awesome, do you mind putting up the Mr X sound clips for day 1,2 and 3 coz you said last week you had a more natural sounding Mr X but never posted them, thanks a million!!  ;)

Offline JDK

• Waygookin
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Did anyone have any trouble with the choos your own adventure PPT from day 2? Alot of the links didn't seem to be hyperlinked to any slides. Is this because I'm using the wrong version of powerpoint or something?

Offline fl4mers

• Waygookin
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 09:23:06 AM »
This looks absolutely fantastic...I love the structure of it. I'm so going to try and adapt this to my shipwrecked camp week...

Offline butter_poptart

• Explorer
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »
I love you for making this lesson. Day one for the lesson was a lot of fun. My kids said in their journals that it seemed difficult but, they more or less enjoyed it all. Thank you for taking the time to create a well thought out, and entertaining game. I cannot wait to see how the rest of it unfolds!

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 11:46:10 AM »
Heyo. I'm super sorry for not putting the other bits up yet. My school had me teaching unexpectedly on the last couple of days before the holidays when was planning to use working on this and then I went on holiday (Yus! Japan!)
I'm going back today though so I'll sort out the last few bits and put up the other lessons, the sound files for Mr.X and whatever else I've forgotten.

Offline wallyn007

• Newgookin
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 09:34:25 PM »
These materials are fantastic!  Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.  My students really enjoyed the first day of detective camp! 

Offline Cranberryopah

• Super Waygook
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 06:46:54 AM »
Heyo.  I went on holiday (Yus! Japan!).
  Seems like Japan was fun. Good on you!    :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:50:26 AM by Cranberryopah »

Offline lisak31

• Newgookin
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »
People who have tried this, how long are your classes for camp? i have a 15 day camp with the same kids for three hours a day or four 45 minute periods. so maybe this 10 day camp would work as a 5 day camp for me, or is that still wishful thinking? Amazing material by the way!

Offline gilly

• Explorer
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
Please Please Please can you put up the new Mr X sound clips soon, my camp starts on monday and I've based it all on detective stuff so I really need to have the sound clips coz they an important part of my first day of camp, would really appreciate it coz your work on this camp is amazing, thanks :)

Offline lillellis

• Adventurer
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 08:51:24 AM »
People who have tried this, how long are your classes for camp? i have a 15 day camp with the same kids for three hours a day or four 45 minute periods. so maybe this 10 day camp would work as a 5 day camp for me, or is that still wishful thinking?

I think you could use 10 days' worth of material in five days for your camp.  I have been combining this material with speaking games for two hours per day.  So far, I am a day behind (i.e. tomorrow is my fourth class but we are on day 3 material).  For a three-hour class, I recommend mixing some other activities in because the detective thing gets to be a bit dense (at least for my students).  I make class a littler lighter by adding an interactive warm-up or playing a speaking game.  To tie it all in, I plan to play "Clue" found on this website towards the end of camp.  I can post my PPTs or share speaking games if you'd like.  Good luck!

Offline DevilMogun

• Super Waygook
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 03:16:34 PM »
For Gilly

I used this website to make my own Mr X voices.  It's really simple, just type it in, click on download, right click on the link, save to your computer then add in to your ppt. 

http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

Thanks to whoever made this - I've modified a lot to suit my class, but the basic ideas have been great.  We did the smell thing today which kept them fascinated for ages, especially when I told them one of the smelling cups had dog poo in it (which it didn't of course). 
"She lacks the indefinable charm of weakness" Oscar Wilde

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »
Day 6.

This is a guess who day. The first bit is a class activity guessing what gang the killers are from and the second, a partner guess who to find out what people were involved.

I planned these classes to last 80 mins. The first lesson ran exactly on time but day 2 and 3 have taken slightly longer so I've taken the mini-mystery out on those days.

The program I downloaded (thinking it was the awesome version) turned out to be the crappy trial version with a really bad text to speech voice so that was a big fail. So far I've just been using the same website as DarylM to make the Mr. X voices even though its not brilliant.

http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 03:58:07 PM »
...There's ment to be a horse sound too but it wont upload. If you want to use this bit you could jsut take the horse off the worksheet or find a sound on the interwebs.

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
Ah! Also here are the photos I used for the I spy on Day three. I'm so sorry I haven't been putting things up that speedily. I've been meaning take these photos for ages but I didn't actually get round to doing it until this morning, a few hours before I needed them for class  :-[

Offline lillellis

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 07:28:14 AM »
Whitespider, you ROCK!!!  Thanks for posting your other materials.  This camp has been wonderful and I'm truly thankful for your hard work.  Cheers!!!

Offline mycalmiles32

• Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »
Here is a nice site with lots of "I Spy" pictures. 

http://theotherpages.org/spy/

Offline morningdew88

• Waygookin
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »
Hi.. sorry but is it just me or does the 4th picture not open up?
Also.. I'm really lost on the I Spy material for the third day
First of all.. where is the list of 20 things and how are you supposed to play this game?
Can you help me out? Thx!! =)