March 22, 2019, 01:52:37 AM

Author Topic: Detective Camp!  (Read 171515 times)

Offline amylukken

• Newgookin
Re: Detective Winter camp! (middle school)
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2011, 09:15:51 AM »
This is an absolutely fabulous idea.  I really am excited about doing it with my kids.  My winter camp is a little different because I have 9 days of camp, but I only see each group for one day.  This means that I'm doing a shortened version of your camp.  I will be playing a big game of clue with different teams acting as players of the game.  They have to make their way around the school to complete different activities.  After the team successfully completes their activity, I will show them one photo of "the room, the person, or the weapon" that wasn't used in the murder.  (Just like clue)  As they make their way through all of the activities they will get more and more clues.  Once they're all done they will have the solution to the murder! 

Offline amylukken

• Newgookin
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2011, 09:19:36 AM »
As I said in my earlier post I'm doing a bunch of different activities spaced around the school.  Most of them have to do with english, but some of them are fun science experiments, etc.  Here's a list:
Activities:
•   Face Puzzle:
Students will complete a picture puzzle that shows a photo of a person. 
After completing the puzzle students must describe the person to the teacher.
Students must write 3 sentences describing the person in order to get the next clue.
   “He is tall.  He has brown hair.  He has blue eyes.”
•   Vocabulary Quiz:
Students must read a passage that uses 10 new “crime” vocabulary words
After reading the passage, students must match new words to their definitions
Correct matching will allow students to receive their next clue.
•   Matching Game:
Students must match pictures of different vocabulary words to the correct word
If students match correctly, they will get the next clue
•   Crossword Puzzle:
Students must complete a crossword puzzle using new vocabulary words as answers
Successful completion of the crossword puzzle allows students to get their next clue
•   Listening Activity:
Students must listen to a spoken passage
The passage will give the students a riddle. 
   “What gets wet, as it dries?  Hint: It’s in the bathroom”
Students must solve the riddle to get their next clue.
   “A towel”
•   Logic Puzzle (worth 2/3 clues):
Inspector Fred has some clues for the students but he needs help solving his mystery first!
Students will be given a logic puzzle with clues to help them solve the mystery.
Students must solve the logic puzzle, and then they will receive the clues from Inspector Fred.
•   Which marker (Science Experiment):
Detective Smith has a clue that might help the students but he needs help before he can give them the clue.
He is trying to solve a murder, and the murderer left a big clue!
The murderer wrote a note in black marker, but which marker did he use?
Students must use assorted markers given to them figure out which marker was used by the murder
Once they do that, they will know the murder and can receive their clue from Inspector Fred
•   Scrambled clue:
Students will be given a sentence made up of scrambled words. 
They must unscramble the words and re-arrange them to make a sentence.
That sentence will give them a clue about their murder.
•   Smells:
Students will be given 3 cups with different smells in them.
Students must correctly guess the smells to get their next clue.
Smells will be dried squid, cinnamon, and oranges
•   Ink blot test:
Students will be given 3 different inkblot tests.
They must describe what they see in each of the inkblots in order to receive their next clue.
“I see two people talking.  I see a butterfly.  Etc.”
•   Disney short movie
Students will watch a Disney short movie about “How To Be A Detective”
They will have to answer 5 questions about the movie
Correct answers will allow them to get their next clue

I'm still working on a few more and I will post those as I get them finished.  Again, thanks for this!  Really helped me out!

Offline tweety11226

• Adventurer
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Hi,

This is an AMAZING Lesson Plan and I would like to modify this for elementary students :).

Can you post all the lessons on one zip file please, so I can download everything at one. You said that you put it up there but I didn't see it.

Thanks

Offline jamster

• Adventurer
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2011, 12:03:10 AM »
White Spider! You are the best!!!  I had no idea what I was going to do; its my first time doing camp and I thought I would have nothing, but I saw this and you saved my day. Thanks my knight in shining armor!

Offline mycombs

• Veteran
« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2011, 08:04:27 AM »
Hey teachers! I taught this camp for my summer vacation, and it was amazing. Make sure you do the prep work each day so you're not caught half-finished.
I needed some extra days in my camp, so I added a few activities. I think these are pretty close to the original standard, and they fit into the "Dawn Lister" story logically.

Who is Dawn? story in multiple (4?) parts
Jigsaw lesson   
Who Was Dawn, stories and questions
Extra time games: Link-a-pix puzzle (ww.conceptispuzzles.com)"

Musical clues
Solve music clues to get a password to "hack" into the messages needed on next day   
Worksheet
Powerpoint
online Piano http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks2/music/piano/ (Use the site to play "Ti-La-Re-Fa-La-Do-Mi" as the musical cipher)

Days 12 & 13 (Dawn's Killer has been caught, I had more days left)
Murder Mystery
(I adapted this from a high=school teacher's lesson on here, but made it a bit smoother. I left the original instructions, but crossed-them out if I didn't like it and added my own. The anagrams are for my school, but you can make some for yours!)
Photos from your school (try to get obscure photos, like extreme close-ups of things. Hide the next clue there, so when they figure out "Oh that's the trash can by the art class!" they can go find the next clue)

I think that's everything you need? I have the sound files for the "Ringtone" on my lab computer. It's a quick Weezer sounbite that has been distorted heavily. You need that, so I will upload soon.
"Signature"

Offline KerrieTeacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »
Dear everyone,

Would someone do me the kindness of explaining how to work out the coded messages on day 5.

Yours sheepishly,

Kerrie.

Offline mycombs

• Veteran
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2011, 10:38:48 AM »
Dear everyone,

Would someone do me the kindness of explaining how to work out the coded messages on day 5.

Check the Powerpoint for Day 5; the answers are there. As for "how": Messages 1&2 are scrambled. Message 3&4 and 5&6 are substitution-ciphers. The final messages are just backwards.
"Signature"

Offline KerrieTeacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Ah! I get it. The substitution one threw me. I think the students would be stuck on number 4 for a long tme! Or maybe I would.....Thank you kindly!

I wonder if anyone was able to locate the video for the answers to the mini mystery on days 8 and 9. I've tried and failed.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:54:51 PM by KerrieTeacher »

Offline Landis

• Veteran
« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2011, 03:18:13 PM »
Have any of you had problems using these activities with low level students.

I have never taught the 1 year middle school students before. Winter Camp is the first time, so I have never had the opportunity to gauge their abilities.

Thanks,

Offline mycombs

• Veteran
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2011, 12:50:50 PM »
Have any of you had problems using these activities with low level students.
I have never taught the 1 year middle school students before

I was surprised and delighted at my first years. They were just as fast as second and third years; they're very quick-witted. Maybe I am lucky? Perhaps you could get a hold of the registration-list for your winter camp, track a few kids down, and give them some test-puzzles. See how they do with some Mensa test questions, or word scrambles.
"Signature"

Offline Landis

• Veteran
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »
I just printed out the pages for the Detective Diary.

Is there a better way to make the detective diary besides cutting each page into four squares and then stapling them all together? My finished product looks kinda sloppy..

Offline KerrieTeacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #151 on: December 19, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »
Can someone please tell me what the scrambled clue on the cd spells. Thank you.

Offline vonnegutjr

• Waygookin
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2011, 09:02:42 AM »
Looks amazing!
I would like to give this a whirl, or at least tinker around with it. I can't seem to download the sound files zip. Any help would be much appreciated. Perhaps it's just a tech thing.

Offline teachkorea28

• Explorer
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2011, 09:53:48 AM »
Someone said they fixed all the hyperlinks to the choose your own adventure game but I can't find it.  Also, Whitespider mentioned there being better ones on this website but I can't find those either.  Can someone help me?

Offline lefty12

• Adventurer
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2011, 10:47:14 AM »
Hello

Does anyone know the answers to the Where's wally worksheet?

Paul

Offline lefty12

• Adventurer
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »
Here is the updated 'Where's Wally Worksheet'. Also, attached is the answer sheet. I think the other one was a little too difficult for my middle school students.

Offline ACofOntario

• Veteran
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »
Hey guys,

I must say this is an amazingly planned camp. I am using a lot of it... but I have a question about the ODT file booklet.

How should I print this document?  I'm not very good at arts and crafts... so any help in constructing the thing would be helpful for me. I really like the idea that they have their own diary to write in, but I'm a bit stumped on how to make it work.

If anyone has a finished product they could take a picture of and show it on here, it would help a lot.

[EDIT] k, I figured it out but it took quite some time. I had to reorganize everything in the Diary file to make it work as a booklet.  Those of you using MS word 2003 might have similar problems.... it's possible to open ODT files with word 2003 or earlier, you just have to download a plugin called SUN ODF (easily found on google).  Once word converts the odt. file however, it's a big mess.

ANyway there are tons of resources and materials on this expansive thread. Very useful, but definitely takes a few days of prep/planning time.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:14:34 PM by ACofOntario »

Offline whitespider

• Veteran
« Reply #157 on: December 22, 2011, 12:14:47 PM »
For the diary, print the pages doublesided (so you have 8 diary pages on 2 sides of an A4 page) then cut lenghtways down the middle. You should be able to fold the pages in half and make a book out off them.

Offline kiekie87

• Veteran
« Reply #158 on: December 27, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
thank you for such awesome materials!!

i was thinking of incorporating food into the camp as well and i came up with a mystery food activity to make pizza bagels.

The first activity is they have to solve the puzzle to find out the mystery food. Then, on the next worksheet they have to rearrange the recipe (cut and glue) to make the order correct.

I am not the best at writing directions on worksheets ...so if you have any suggestions...please send them my way.

Cheers!  :D
All ideas grow out of other ideas.
Anish Kapoor

Offline Landis

• Veteran
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2011, 01:44:24 PM »
Which of these activities were particularly successful?

My camp is only 5 daqys so i want to condense this.

do you staple the diary?
thanks
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 01:56:53 PM by Landis »