January 23, 2019, 04:55:27 PM

Author Topic: Detective Camp!  (Read 169221 times)

Offline expat2001

• Waygookin
Re: Detective Winter camp! (middle school)
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2011, 08:14:32 AM »
Hey Whitespider
  What did you mean by throw paper balls. And for the choose your own adventure , is it a team effort or a class effort ?

Offline expat2001

• Waygookin
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »
WHITESPIDER
  On day 3 , whats the purpose of the paper cell phones ? Has anyone tried to buy invisable ink ? And where did u get it at ?
  On day 7 , what about the balls

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2011, 10:29:01 PM »

the colored paper balls, I plan to just use regular colored paper and crush them(? totally blanking on the English word here for making/forming the ball) into ball form.

The paper phones are to be taped up and hidden in the room for the students to find after the clue hunt. Basically, when they return to the room, there's a chance that Dawn is still alive, so they need to find the phones to call an ambulance, then unscramble the letters they retrieved to discover that she 'died' on the way to the hospital.

Also I made invisible ink with equal parts baking soda and water. Wrote out the sentence with with the solution 'ink' via q-tips, let it dry, then painted over the sentence with grape juice (concentrate).  The letters turn green.  It's easier and less fuss than my school trying to worry about getting heat, etc.  But I found a pen that you can buy online, it's like 1.40$, ships in 2-4 days internationally.  With the pen, you write it out and then the students need the pen to shine the pen cap's light over the paper and it shows up in the light.  That's another option.

Offline mycombs

• Veteran
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2011, 09:30:25 AM »

But I found a pen that you can buy online, it's like 1.40$, ships in 2-4 days internationally.  With the pen, you write it out and then the students need the pen to shine the pen cap's light over the paper and it shows up in the light.  That's another option.

Good idea with the blacklight-ink pen; you can buy them in any stationery store in Korea, too. They're a few thousand won, and very easy to fins. Look for Morning Glory or Alpha. Ask a teacher.
Thanks for the grape juice and baking soda idea too! That sounds really cool, I will try it that way.
"Signature"

Offline aydub

• Explorer
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2011, 10:08:40 AM »
  • Fixed the diary so it prints right
  • Fixed all hyperlinks in the choose your own adventure game

Hey there, could you or someone explain to me how the fold the diary? I'm stuck, and it shoudlnt be that difficult, right? lol Thank you in advance!

Offline expat2001

• Waygookin
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2011, 12:05:03 PM »
thanks for the replies!

Offline negacoca

• Veteran
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »
Whitespider, I love you!!!!!!!  I deeply appreciate all the work you put into not only making this wonderful camp, but also making
it easy for other teachers to use!

On day 4, I uploaded the "follow you nose" sound clip onto a program I downloaded from this website:

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html

I asked the students what we need to do to understand the message, eliciting that we need to speed it up to understand it.
Then, as a class, we gradually increased the pitch and speed until a group could understand it.

Offline amandas

• Veteran
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2011, 01:00:02 PM »
  • Fixed the diary so it prints right
  • Fixed all hyperlinks in the choose your own adventure game

Hey there, could you or someone explain to me how the fold the diary? I'm stuck, and it shoudlnt be that difficult, right? lol Thank you in advance!

Hey -  I had trouble with this at first as well.  You have to make double sided photocopies.  Then you can cut the sheets in half along the horizontal.  Fold the pages in half, and from there you can put the pages in order to make the booklet.  I hope that helps.

Offline negacoca

• Veteran
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2011, 06:16:53 PM »
The class completes their mission on day 9 of the camp, so I felt like making the powerpoint a little more dramatic.  This powerpoint is basically Whitespider's, but with more pictures and animations.  I thought someone might find it useful.

My class is a little behind schedule, so the last activity of day 8 (following the path while blindfolded) is also on this powerpoint.  There are also a few other modifications to match the story-line I used with my class.  You can ignore those parts.

Offline mogbert

• Veteran
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2011, 08:56:24 AM »
Thanks!  I used your powerpoint and added a funny touch to the end.  I pasted the suspects' head on the body of the gunman.  And I made their heads bigger and bigger from one slide to the next.  You can also keep the heads normal sized. 

Btw, why was only one killer caught when there was a Mr. Pink and Mr. Black?  My students kept asking me where the other suspect is.  So I just made two gunmen in the Powerpoint 9.

The class completes their mission on day 9 of the camp, so I felt like making the powerpoint a little more dramatic.  This powerpoint is basically Whitespider's, but with more pictures and animations.  I thought someone might find it useful.

My class is a little behind schedule, so the last activity of day 8 (following the path while blindfolded) is also on this powerpoint.  There are also a few other modifications to match the story-line I used with my class.  You can ignore those parts.

Offline mogbert

• Veteran
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2011, 01:10:13 PM »
Oops, I didn't even realize the gunman was animated!

Offline negacoca

• Veteran
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2011, 01:21:08 PM »
Mogbert:  I had my class catch two killers on day 7, but only Mr. Black escaped from the police.  There was actually an animation in the jail slide too.  Mr. Black dropped in next to Mr. Pink.

Offline arhwarang

• Waygookin
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »
I'm finally giving this Detective Camp a go this coming Monday. 
I'm just curious how everyone's detective camp have been doing?
Any pitfalls, highlights, advice, tips before my camp?
Thanks guys.

Offline negacoca

• Veteran
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »
I have one piece of advice.  Use a candle for the invisible ink.  Don't try to use a blow dryer.  Blow dryers have no effect on lemon juice.  I didn't have any luck with light bulbs either.  I think a candle is required to get the right chemical reaction.  Perhaps a very strong heating lamp would work too, although I can't vouch for that.

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »
Hi,

I don't know if anyone else had trouble finding 'x-man' in the 2nd pic for I-spy day, so I had my friend in the states photoshop Wolverine in the photo. Not hidden too well since it's for my elementary students, but may be useful to some people.

Offline rookiewaygook

• Veteran
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2011, 04:05:42 PM »
I have one piece of advice.  Use a candle for the invisible ink.  Don't try to use a blow dryer.  Blow dryers have no effect on lemon juice.  I didn't have any luck with light bulbs either.  I think a candle is required to get the right chemical reaction.  Perhaps a very strong heating lamp would work too, although I can't vouch for that.

Another advice to add: Don't use the wimpy newspaper kind of paper for the "msg." I almost burnt the classroom down, thrice.

Offline mariag

• Adventurer
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2011, 08:52:33 PM »
Hi Whitespider,

Just wanted to say a big 'Thank you!' for your ideas. I got a good five days out of your camp and it was very interesting. I applaud your hard work, enthusiasm and motivation. Thanks again!!

Offline anthony

• Waygookin
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2011, 04:37:57 PM »
Hi Whitespider,
I would also like to thank you.  I tried to cram your materials into my four days this week.  It was overwhelming, but I think the kids had a good time.
I really am greatful for all the time you put into putting this together.  I probably wouldn't have the brains to systematically put it all together. 
But I did catch the vision of this big idea!  And I went along for the ride....It was fun!  I had fun.   Well, One week down...two more weeks to go.
Thanks again.

Offline inkblueraindrops

• Explorer
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2011, 09:20:42 AM »
I have had a lot of success with this camp, despite having mostly lower level students this week (Thank you Whitespider!!! This camp really, really rocks :D) I decided to forgo the lemon juice method on day five based on the problems other people had mentioned. I had good success with the baking soda "invisible ink" and grape juice suggestion, and I have updated the ppt for day 5 accordingly. I have also included a couple review questions about the mystery so far at the beginning.  Also, if anyone is interested, I have also made an easier version of the code worksheet (I changed the second code for a sequential number to alphabet code  (1=Y 2=Z A=3, B=4, C=5, etc.) and the third set of codes I used the pigpen cipher which is quite easy for the students to figure out).  First, I will have to find access to a scanner, though, since I did the pigpen code by hand....

Offline Shaddock86

• Explorer
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »
Just did the Clue Search around the school and the kids had a blast!  (kept saying how much fun they were having).

Then I did the "victim" in the next room and I put fake blood on him....thought it would be cool and funny, but the kids just ended up being scared and freaked out.  I was filled with so much regret....so word of caution in that section.  YOu might just consider the "victim" wearing a funny mask or something and not make it overly serious.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:24:05 PM by Shaddock86 »