October 19, 2018, 09:23:40 PM

Author Topic: Do you ever see attractive NETs?  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Bump

• Veteran
Do you ever see attractive NETs?
« on: March 20, 2012, 06:36:02 PM »
Frankly, I don't see all that many. Most seem to be nerdy or overweight.  Objectively, I'd say the male NETs are in general better looking.  Just wondering what your thoughts are on this matter.   Someone told me it's because the "types" of people that generally pack up their bags and move to a random Asian country like Korea (especially the ones that stay a long time) don't really fall into the traditionally mainstream notions of coolness in the western world.  Of course this is a shallow sort of question, but I imagine it's something that's run across a few minds every now and then.  Just wondering...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:41:08 PM by Bump »

Offline JahRhythm

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • University E2 Visa
Re: Do you ever see attractive NETs?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
Every morning while shaving, boss. BOOM!
No, but seriously folks, don't want to offend my Waeg Sisters but there's a reason (besides my lifelong bout of yellow fever) that I only date K-ladies.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

Offline woman-king

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »
I mean, a lot of it is self-presentation, I think.  Koreans tend to be slimmer and put more effort into fashion and their hair--hence they appear more collectively attractive.  There's a difference in priorities--I will suffer in heels and other things to look good, but I refuse to be cold.  So I definitely look less chic than most K-girls in the winter because I'm so bundled up, and I could really care less since I'm still smaller than most women here anyway.  :P  But yeah, if you were doing a "scan" of hottest chick on a Seoul subway in the middle of January I doubt I'd tip your radar, being buried under hats and scarves and about 5 layers of clothing.  More power to the girls showing off their gams in short-shorts and nylons in subzero weather--I sort of admire it, but not enough to join them.  Daisy dukes are for summer, in my humble opinion.

But seriously, of course I see NETs I think are attractive.  Not so much in the ol' jock-and-cheerleader style, it's true--but at any given night out in Itaewon or Hongdae I'll see plenty of young 20something Westerners of both genders who are slim, healthy-looking, dressed up for a night out and looking as good as any group of college students at an indie show in Seattle would, which is basically my standard for what looks good.  Of course I see plenty of frumpy NETs who don't look so fly, and I think that may detract from a certain overall perception of how attractive we are as a group, but if you look at individuals specifically, there's definitely nice-looking, well-groomed NETs out there, though I think it's pretty obvious Koreans have us beat, overall, on generally looking spiffy on a daily basis (and this goes for both genders).  And it should go without saying, but I've definitely seen exceptions to this along both lines.

Anyway, as entertaining as topics like this can be--and as often as I've thought about physical appearance while in Korea, it's sort of inescapable--I hope we can keep the subject positive and not start stereotyping or insulting anyone or trying to exorcise personal gripes on this here message board.  :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:27:40 PM by woman-king »

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »
Objectively, I'd say the male NETs are in general better looking. 
I think it's because attractive females are more likely to find someone who will support them financially (thus no need to come to Korea) than attractive males. Men, despite "gender equality" back home, are still expected to pay the bills.

Offline Freeto

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »
There seem to be a few pleasant-looking enough to land the occasional modeling gig.
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 11:22:16 PM »
Seldomly. Except for my girlfriend of course.  :D
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline sunshinefiasco

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 12:33:51 AM »
Objectively, I'd say the male NETs are in general better looking. 
I think it's because attractive females are more likely to find someone who will support them financially (thus no need to come to Korea) than attractive males. Men, despite "gender equality" back home, are still expected to pay the bills.

Uhhhhhhh. What?

Also: it's all in the eye of the beholder. I see lots of skinny little English/English-looking dudes. Personally, not my bag.

Offline auster

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 07:36:47 AM »
Also: it's all in the eye of the beholder. I see lots of skinny little English/English-looking dudes. Personally, not my bag.

Errr, funny and ridiculous sort of comment. What's 'English looking'? British teeth? Pale skin perhaps? I've heard something about our nose shape. I'm English, 5'10", weight 160lbs (just over 11 stone in old speak), so not skinny, just medium build. Oh, and I brush my crooked teeth twice a day.

Offline Koreak

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 07:45:01 AM »
My students tell me that I am handsome.  Either it's true, or they are just buttering me up for more stickers for their sticker chart. 

Offline profmiscreant

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 07:45:55 AM »
All the time.

Offline korr

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »
Every morning while shaving, boss. BOOM!
No, but seriously folks, don't want to offend my Waeg Sisters but there's a reason (besides my lifelong bout of yellow fever) that I only date K-ladies.

And there's a reason I go for Korean guys. :P Eye of the beholder and all that.

Seriously guys (and gals), do we really need a topic like this?