August 20, 2018, 10:11:38 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Creative At Home Gyms and Workouts  (Read 5451 times)

Offline Fad9567

• Waygookin
Creative At Home Gyms and Workouts
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:40:52 AM »
1st ?
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for at home gyms or what they use to work out with instead of getting a gym membership?  Personally I found a metal pole about five feet long, then went and found about 10 2liter bottles filled them up and tied some string around them to make a loop. Add weight(bottles) depending on the exercise.    Any ideas? Pics?

2nd ?
Post any workout routines that you feel have worked out great here.  I like to change my routines up but find it hard to make something up off the top of my head. Any help?

Offline gradesofshey

• Adventurer
Re: Creative At Home Gyms and Workouts
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:03:12 AM »
What are your goals?

Offline kps1

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:25:50 AM »
Get P90x or Insanity.

Offline Janitor

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »
I use an app called "Gorilla Workout" It is just simple exercises to build strength and keep the weight off. Each day is something new. Other than that I have downloaded the P90x workout and that was great.

Offline jeonjubibimbap

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
before i joined a gym i used to just do the push up workouts, diamond, feet on the sofa,  shoulder width, used books, etc...depending on the day 500-1000. sit-ups in between then stairs and mountain climbers. i am glad that i have a fitness membership but hate public showers bc  random men will pee and stink up the joint and i will never touch the hair dryer since everyone uses it to dry their groin area.   

Offline S.Lee

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 12:11:03 PM »
best/worst cardio workout (depending on your mentality) ive ever done was Burpees . I usually do these in the morning to start my day. Just 10-20 and you'l be out of breath. They allow for some muscle development too.

Sometimes I'll do pushup variations with my burpees (hands closer together or further apart, or fists, or with elbows tucked in)

if you can get exercise bands (I've seen them at emart), then you can work every muscle group pretty easily and with variation.

Otherwise as others have already said P90X and Insanity work if you can stay dedicated. 10 minute trainer isnt too bad too.

Offline gtrain83

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »
If you can get dumbbells or kettle bells, these are two pretty good workouts:

http://www.starz.com/SiteCollectionImages/Spartacus2009/downloads/MH_Spartacus_Workout.pdf

http://my.menshealth.com/workout/The-Spartacus-Workout-2.0/workout-a

There is a 3.0 version but have not seen it online yet. Just came out in the Jan/Feb issue.

Look into tabata workouts as well....very high intensity.

Depending on your goals you can build muscle or cut with almost any workout. Just make sure your diet is in check then you will be good to do any of the workouts already mentioned.

Offline Fad9567

• Waygookin
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 02:26:49 PM »
Great post Gtrain83, and S.Lee yea burpees sure do kick some butt into high gear.

If you have access to a pull up bar a good workout is to do the burpess underneath it and jump into a pull up, in the beginning the pull ups are easy because you jump pretty high and reduce the motion of having to go all the way up, but as you keep going, your jumps get shorter and the pull ups become harder. Three sets of 10 is a pretty good workout.

I am looking to get fit, put on muscle mass and gain endurance. I have both Insanity and P90 X but since I lack the pull up bar and variation of dumbbells, Insanity works better for when I don't get gym time in.  I have access to a local gym for free but I want to see what other people are doing. I always like bouncing ideas off people to keep workouts different and not to fall into a routine.

If any of you have tried hand stand push ups they are also great. Use a wall for assistance and place books underneath where your head will land until you can get the full range of motion. Just holding a handstand up against a wall is a good work out too.

Like most of you have said, diet is a huge portion of getting fit. And here is a good place because of the fresh food.

Offline maclolly

• Waygookin
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:24:54 PM »
what about work out videos? taebo etc?

Offline jgmenator

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 03:29:18 PM »
Minimal equipment, HIIT focused:

-P90X
-Insanity
-Bodyrock
-Zuzana Light's ZWOD / ZWOW

Basically:
1) Get moving. Anything. Jog, walk, hike, bike, whatever.
2) Resistance training. Weights, resistance bands, bodyweight + bags, etc.
3) Rest & recover.

Go go go!

Offline eyekon

• Waygookin
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »
Totally agree with what a lot of the replys have been so far. You don't need an expensive gym membership to get in shape. All it takes is time and patience. Patience being the key. Even with P90X or Insanity you won't see results in a short period of time.

Eat right (including laying off that sweet hooch we all love so much. Read: Somaek), get active and you'll be fine.

My go-to home workout:

2 sets of 20 pushups
1 set of 10 pull ups (not chin-ups)
1 set of 20 pushups
Run 1 mile hard. Rest 5 minutes. Run 1 mile hard (back home)
2 sets of 20 pushups
1 set of 10 pull ups (not chin-ups)
1 set of 15 mason twists with 8lb medicine ball (4kg dumbell if no medicine ball)
1 set of 15 clamshells (basically a sit up and leg lift at the same time) with medicine ball or dumbell

that's it. Sounds like a lot but trust me, it isn't. The hardest part of all of this will be the pull-ups. You might only be able to do 5 at a time to start. Or maybe none. But trust me, they're the best exercise in this routine. They will carve your back and midsection like nothing else. Including the running shouldn't take more than 90 minutes a day. Give it about 60 days and you'll see some results.

Offline Lapomme

• Waygookin
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 02:20:26 AM »
You can find a lot of great workouts at http://www.bodyrock.tv/

They require no to minimal equipment and are pretty short (but intensive).

Offline wtoddm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 10:15:04 AM »

This is still the single best abs workout I've found (in one go).
"Our doubts are traitors,
And makes us lose the good we oft might win,
By fearing to attempt." - Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Offline goldbot

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 01:42:39 PM »
Like what was said before, resistance bands are excellent, same with push-ups. I found a big rock, maybe 10 kilo or so, and I do wood-choppers with that. Small hand weights for shadow boxing.

On my computer at home I have a timer that you can set for how long to work out for and then it'll ring for rest time. So, I'll do 3 mins of shadow-boxing, 30 secs rest, 3 minutes of push ups, 30 secs rest, boxing, legs, abs...and so on. We use this for interval training in boxing, but it is totally usable for other training, great for the heart, and anaerobic, too. Just keep it interesting and mix up the times and exercises.Look up mandatory 100s (m100s) on youtube. They are a brutal little workout.

Also, get outside, because the parks around Seoul are awesome for body weight. If you want to get better at chin-ups (even push ups) focus on time and not reps. Pull yourself up slowly and spend a good 5-10 secs lowering yourself, and even just hanging and tensing your muscles is good for grip strength. If your totally exhausted jump a little up, hold yourself at the top, then lower as slowly as you can. It'll burn really nice.

For running I like to warm up with a nice jog, then find some hills and stairs and do sprints. You can walk back down, then sprint back up, or if you live in a hilly area that is perfect. Running up hills is better cardio and much better for your knees than the stress of flat or a decline. Skipping is also good.

That's all! All good info shared so far.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »
If your goals are to build a good deal of mass it may be impossible for you without hitting the gym. With bodyweight exercises the most you'll ever be able to lift is...your body -- which isn't that much. You could grow your lats and traps quite a bit by doing delts, but you won't be able to grow your chest that much or your shoulders.

You could always improvise with buckets and stuff, but honestly, who wants to spend that much time? I did that while I was living in the middle of nowwhere but only b/c there was no access to gym. Save yourself some time and feel even better by hitting the gym. Don't want to discourage you, have fun with it, but maybe it's better to just go to a gym where everything is there, you can target all your muscle groups easily without worrying about your bottles slipping and a metal pole hitting you in the head.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline gradesofshey

• Adventurer
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »
get fit, put on muscle mass and gain endurance.

My advice would be either focus on gaining muscle mass or on getting cut.  You will see faster results this way.  Professionals tend to bulk and then cut before a competition.  Normal people who are semi-serious seem to bulk in the fall/winter and start cutting BEFORE spring.  Casuals tend to do a little of both and don't see many gains in either direction.  Then again, maybe it's just because they are... casual.  8)

Offline Lapomme

• Waygookin
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 04:23:25 AM »

My advice would be either focus on gaining muscle mass or on getting cut.  You will see faster results this way.  Professionals tend to bulk and then cut before a competition.  Normal people who are semi-serious seem to bulk in the fall/winter and start cutting BEFORE spring.  Casuals tend to do a little of both and don't see many gains in either direction.  Then again, maybe it's just because they are... casual.  8)

QFT. You can't put on mass and cut at the same time, it's virtually impossible. To gain mass you need to eat a surplus calories and to lose fat you need to eat at a deficit. Better start a cutting/bulking cycle!

Offline Fad9567

• Waygookin
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »

QFT. You can't put on mass and cut at the same time, it's virtually impossible. To gain mass you need to eat a surplus calories and to lose fat you need to eat at a deficit. Better start a cutting/bulking cycle!

I never said getting cut, someone else used that quote for me. I DO believe you can put on mass without gaining fat. I don't see why when gaining muscle you have to gain fat as well? I have seen this to be true as well.

I would suggest looking into Crossfit.com style workouts if you don't believe it to be true. They have great stuff on their website and answer many questions about diet and fitness alike. I used to do variations of these workouts but I know the gyms here wouldn't allow slamming weights and don't have sledge hammers to swing, or tractor tires to flip.

Regardless I am not trying to start a debate. Just wanted to start a thread where people can post workouts that they use to get like minds together to bounce ideas off each other.

I like the ideas so far!

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 10:29:57 AM »
Yeah you can gain muscle without gaining any fat but that depends heavily upon:
1.) Your body type.
2.) Your ability to devote large amounts of time and energy to planning out an extremely detailed diet.

For those of us who don't want to sit and count every calorie, we gain a little fat with the muscle. The more muscle you have, though, the higher your metabolism and the easier it is to lose that fat. It might take a day or two to cut which isn't that bad and well worth not having to count calories. Just eat a lot of food and lift heavy and you should get bigger.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline Fad9567

• Waygookin
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »
Okay, I guess I read into what you were saying a little more than I should have. I do completely agree with you. Good points! For me I am a hard gainer. AKA my metabolism is fast.  Younger I would eat total junk food and not gain a pound, but now I am trying to eat healthy as possible and lifting smarter.

Another great tool online that I have used is http://gainfitness.com/strength

You can set what goal you have, areas of the body you want to target, different times and most importantly under the "tuning options" button what equipment you have. It maps out the whole workout, reps and sets and also has an option for it to "play" through it all so you don't have to keep looking at a watch. Great for in a pinch workouts.

Once again thanks for all the posts, I will be sure looking into all these websites.