January 23, 2019, 08:34:17 PM

Author Topic: Space Camp  (Read 51974 times)

Offline spivey378

• Adventurer
Re: Space Camp
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »
I liked this video about the solar system a lot  :)

http://youtu.be/Wd_EIdZrvaU

Offline krtastic

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 02:02:15 PM »
Hey guys, as part of our space camp we made waldorf stars that the kids could take home and hang in their rooms. I made a tutorial ppt for it and figured I'd share here.
All best for winter camp!

Offline Hayley_G

• Explorer
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »
Here's some Planet/Solar system material I used for winter camp -elementary grades 2-5.

1. Planets ppt
2. My dream planet ppt
3. Planet shapes template for craft ppt

I also watched the Animaniacs solar system song with them (youtube) -which although super fast, they really enjoyed!
Hope it helps!

Offline bananafish7

• Explorer
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 01:12:33 PM »
Good stuff!  Here is a website with modules for the Solar System, Sun, Earth, and Moon:
http://www.engineeringinteract.org/resources.htm
And a short ppt about Earth:

Offline Blast Hardcheese

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 11:49:03 PM »
This here is an awesome video that makes me want to go to the moon.

I have severe writers block.  But I want to make a lesson plan based off it.  Transcripts and subtitles are available in both Korean and English.  How can I use this?

http://www.ted.com/talks/bill_stone_explores_the_earth_and_space.html

Offline kaerunouta

• Adventurer
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 02:44:21 PM »
I am doing space camp...thanks so much for all the great materials already available.  I expanded one ppt for a basic solar system overview.  Then I added a more detailed ppt with facts.  There is an easy planet song on youtube, search "the planet song."  Lastly, I added a ppt I made on the sun.  I taught the kids "Here Comes the Sun." I hope this helps some in a future camp or lesson!

Offline kaerunouta

• Adventurer
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013, 01:57:19 PM »
Here are some more materials for space camp.

I made the ppt for info about the moon..kind of like a cloze activity.  I have pretty smart kids and it works well for engaging them and then they try to memorize the facts for a musical chair game afterwards.
there is a good animated version of goodnight moon on youtube.

Also, the kids will make aliens and so I made this to review body parts and how to describe them. 

The last is a game, thanks forthe original by the way!, but it was too tough for my students so I just altered the questions a bit if you have lower-level children.

Offline keepemgreen

• Adventurer
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2013, 11:09:52 AM »
Used for my elementary camp. I changed other people's materials and made my own so thanks to people for contributing!!

Included:
  • Space Lesson Plans - there are two for the two different levels (1 is lower) but they're pretty much the same.
  • Space PPT - before, played "all alone in the night" video and asked students what the three types of lights they saw were (auroras, cities, and storms). After the astronaut slides, played a video I think called "astronauts floating in space" on youtube (its the astronauts doing different things to the song of "in the jungle the lion sleeps tonight". Used the opportunity to talk about gravity too. For the older kids I went on to explain why you can't survive on jupiter (the gravity will crush you) and what black holes are and why you can't see them or escape them - really strong gravity).
  • Space Guessing Game
  • Space Bomb and Jeopardy Games - Didn't actually get around to these. After the PPT and guessing game, I used the Nasa.gov games in my lesson plan to eat up extra time.

Have fun! The kids really liked the lesson, especially the higher levels because they could understand more.

Offline kaerunouta

• Adventurer
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2013, 02:45:23 PM »
Sorry...just realized that many of the materials didn't attach. here they are.

Offline keepemgreen

• Adventurer
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 09:55:58 AM »

Offline tori_bird

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2015, 10:23:51 AM »
I made a space camp theme for this week of camp. Thought I would share some material^^

Offline tori_bird

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2015, 12:39:41 PM »
More goodies!

Offline Aine Byrne

• Adventurer
  • :)
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 03:19:43 PM »
Thanks for these, I will add my resource here soon.
ABean

Offline rufus947

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »
This thread hasn't been updated in a while but if anyone is interested in doing a space camp i've put a lot of work in and think I have some cool stuff. It's not finished but I have most of my materials ready. It's a 5 days camp, four forty minute lessons each day. 5th and 6th grade taught together - 20 students. Some files are quite large so you may need to use my google drive link. Also I stole the solar quizdom ppt/worksheet and jeopardy quiz from other users. I'll also include an FTL themed one I found which I may not use but is still pretty cool too.

Day 1:

Lesson 1: Introductory ppt

Lesson 2: Space Movie Quiz (Round 1)

Lesson 3 & 4: Making the solar system

Day 2:

Lesson 1 & 2: Choose your own adventure ppt game

Lesson 3: Solar Quizdom Worksheet

Lesson 4: Solar Quizdom Game

Day 3:

Lesson 1 & 2: Food lesson (oreo moon phases) making ice cream sundaes

Lesson 3: Jeopardy Quiz

Lesson 4: Missions Activity (puzzles)

Day 4:

Lesson 1: Survival game (Choose items needed for survival in dangerous situation)

Lesson 2: Song day (One Direction Drag Me Down)

Lesson 3 & 4 Build a shelter game: (Build the tallest shelter using marshmallows and spaghetti)

Day 5:

Lesson 1: Space Movie Quiz (Round 2)

Lesson 2: Science or Science Fiction

Lesson 3 & 4: Cleaning & Movie

Offline rufus947

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
I'll attach some links to my google drive for downloading my movie quiz and science or science fiction game and I attached my choose your own adventure.

movie quiz:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_2YYu6PfeIkCPRDBukX-hbDJb-BHnrFB

science or science fiction:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15Ruh_pQUlNrZmjRiOF2BSGWOMSGGxNJv

Also as a side note. If you're interested in doing a song day I posted lyric paper for 'one direction - drag me down' already but another great choice is 'Imagine Dragons - on top of the world'

Hope these files and ideas are useful and if anyone has any other ideas or materials please post! I'd like to improve my camp if possible. Thanks. Let me know if you have any questions or find any problems as well.

Offline rufus947

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »
Oh I forgot my space missions! It's a collection of different puzzles - math puzzles, matchstick puzzles etc. It's fun and takes up a lot of time :).