December 13, 2018, 11:53:23 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Koreans with 1-time passport denied RP entry  (Read 1794 times)

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
Koreans with 1-time passport denied RP entry
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:37:41 AM »
I picked up this article from the KT this morning and decided to post it here.  You may ask why?  Well I kind of think that it is in some small way the RP taking 'revenge' on the ROK for making it so difficult for Filipinos to visit here.

A case in point:

My wife is a Filipino and has a daughter (14 year old).  Her dream is to come to ROK to visit her mom and because she loves KPOP etc.

We consulted the Korean Embassy website on found the following requirements:

Application Form
1pc. Passport size colored picture
Passport Origina(6Mons. Valid)
Copy of Passport First Page
Original & Copy of  valid visa s and arrival stamps to 
   OECD  member countries for the past  5 years
School Certificate (Original)
Copy of School ID
Copy of Birth Certificate     
Parents’ Documents : Bank Certificate Original
                                        & ITR or Form 2316 Copy
                                        & Employment Certificate Original
                                           (or DTI, SEC, Mayor’s Permit)

We accumulated all of those documents and since my wife is not allowed to work here, I sent my Income Tax Return instead of hers.  We also submitted our visas, her and my bank certificate and marriage certificate. The grand total of documents we submitted was 16.

16 documents for a 14 year old to visit her mother for two weeks  :o :o

Guess what? They wouldn't accept the application because the child's biological father doesn't earn enough to pay Income Tax in the Philippines.  What has that got to do with a 14 year old visiting her mother when we proved quite substantial finances and employment records etc for the ROK?

Sorry for the rant, but I think it is bizarre that a 14 year old is refused a tourist visa on those grounds and hence I have little sympathy for those who were refused entry into the RP.

PS: Hope I am not banned for this rant.   ;D ;D ;D  (Just kidding)

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/03/117_106381.html

The Philippines has tightened immigration rules on Korean travelers since March 1, denying entry to ones with a passport that allows them to go overseas only once, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said Tuesday.

A dozen Korean tourists holding the so-called ``one-time’’ passport have been denied entry to the Southeast Asian country over the past week and had to return home, it said. Tourists with a passport permitting them to visit foreign countries multiple times still can visit the Philippines without obtaining a visa and stay there for up to 21 days.

However, the foreign ministry has been criticized for having failed to inform airliners, travel agencies and travelers of such change in a timely manner. Ministry officials say that they were not notified of the immigration rule change by their Filipino counterparts in advance, stressing they have and will make every effort to minimize the inconvenience experienced by Korean tourists.

``The Philippine government began disallowing Korean visitors with the one-time passport to enter the country on March 1. We found out about it last Saturday and informed the public Monday,’’ said a foreign ministry official who declined to be named. ``We haven’t yet to hear from the Philippines Embassy here about why the Southeast Asian country where Koreans are the largest foreign tourist group made such a change.’’

He said a total of 12 Korean travelers have been denied entry, saying those seeking to visit the Philippines should get a multiple-year passport.

There are two types of passports issued by the foreign ministry. The one-time passport, which is valid for one year, allows holders to leave the country only once. Multi-year passports, which are valid for either 5 or 10 years, permit holders to unlimited travel to foreign countries.

Some tour agencies catering to mostly those traveling in a group prefer to obtain the one-time passport on behalf of their customers because it is cheaper and easier to get.

``We will have talks with officials from the Philippines Embassy about why the amendment was made to their immigration policy. If the explanation is deemed unreasonable, we will request the Philippines government take the necessary steps to minimize inconvenience for travelers from Korea,’’ the official said.

Airliners operating flights between Korea and the Philippines and travel agencies catering to those visiting the nation have complained that the change caught them off guard.

``We have not heard anything from the foreign ministry concerning changes to the Philippines’ immigration rules. We found out about it when one of the passengers on our March 3 flight to Manila was denied entry,’’ an Asiana Airlines spokesman said. ``Since then, we have informed all passengers departing for the Southeast Asian country of the information.’’

Korean Air said it was notified by the Philippine immigration authorities on Feb. 10. ``Since we were told of the change to immigration rules in the Philippines in advance, none of our passengers have been denied entry,’’ a Korean Air spokeswoman said.

The Philippines Tourism Office here also said it had not known about the change before the news broke out. ``We should have informed travel agencies in a timely manner. But we did not hear anything about it from the embassy,’’ a spokeswoman said. ``We don’t think it will negatively affect our efforts to attract Korean tourists. We will do our best to make it as easy as possible for Koreans to visit the Philippines.’’

Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
Re: Koreans with 1-time passport denied RP entry
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:40:15 AM »
That's terrible that your step-daughter can't come and visit her mother; there is a lot of discrimination against SE Asians.

Why would anyone apply for a 'one-time' passport when they could just apply for a regular one?

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 08:28:43 AM »
A further thing is that on the website for ROK in the Philippines, there is a bold message to say that the Department of Justice wants to encourage tourists from South East Asian countries and therefore they are relaxing some of the conditions to apply for a visa, but there in Manila they have actually upped the requirements for a tourist visa, making it virtually impossible for Filipinos to come here as tourists.

Unbelievable.  :o :o

I have had even worse experiences in the past with them when my wife (then fiance) tried to come here to visit me but was denied multiple times with no reason given, despite submitting more than the requirements as listed.

Anyhoo..... that is another long story with which I will not bore my fellow Waygookers.  Suffice it to say that I have somewhat of a negative attitude towards the ROK Embassy in Manila.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:35:53 AM »
Suffice it to say that I have somewhat of a negative attitude towards the ROK Embassy in Manila.

Actually, if you can get to know or befriend someone at the embassy it could save you a lot of trouble. My friend did at the Korean embassy in another SE Asian country and it's save him a lot of hassles.