December 13, 2018, 07:55:26 AM

Author Topic: documentary being made on Korean High School students  (Read 1137 times)

Offline rangaryan

• Waygookin
documentary being made on Korean High School students
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
Hey not sure if anyone has posted this here before but I feel like this documentary being made about Korean High School students will be really interesting.

what does everyone else think? here is a link, watch the film makers preview:

http://www.koreanhighschool.com/index.html

Offline bebouchard

• Veteran
Re: documentary being made on Korean High School students
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 10:41:06 AM »
The film looks great. I especially like the unique way the filmmaker uses subtitles, having students film each other is also a great idea that I think will add more honesty and intimacy than the filmmaker would be able to get.

I've also thought a film about Korean high school, or Korean students in general could be an interesting subject for a documentary. I think the filmmaker brings an intersting perspective to the project, as someone who has experienced Korean education as a student, rather than, like most of us, as a teacher.

I only have two sort-of criticisms: I don't know if the excerpts from the video clip are representative of what the final film will be like, but some parts seem overly long or slowly paced. Also--and I kind of hate to say it-- I think the filmmaker might be overly optimistic about her film's capacity to effect social change in the Korean education system, or in Korean culture. Still, it's an intersting, worthwhile project. As a teacher in a Korean high school, I share a lot of her concerns and wish I could help my students see that there are alternatives. There isn't just one kind of beauty, or just one kind of success.

I will donate to this project, but not right away, 'cause I'm kind of broke right now.  ::)

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
Re: documentary being made on Korean High School students
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »
I've seen the link posted on other Korea-related sites. Maybe it's interesting to an outsider but as someone who practically lives in a Korean high school it sure seemed pretty mundane.