February 22, 2019, 08:22:25 AM

Author Topic: Can I get my original Police Record Check documents back?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline ACofOntario

• Veteran
Can I get my original Police Record Check documents back?
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:56:20 AM »
Hey folks,

So I am leaving the country for a teaching job in the UK. I am Canadian.

Obviously, the UK teaching job requires that I supply them with an original police record check from Canada.

Will Korean immigration release me the document if I prove to them that I am leaving the country, or is that a futile pursuit? 

If Korea won't hand me back the document, how can I go about getting a new one from Korea? I can't afford to go back to Canada. 

details: I am breaking contract early (7 months). Giving my 2 month notice in the next week. No one in Canada has my power of Attorney (How I wish I would have done that before leaving!!!)

I'm not looking for advice on how I should finish the contract. It's not happening, and I'd rather keep the reasons private.

Thanks for helping, waygook!

marsavalanche

Re: Can I get my original Police Record Check documents back?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:02:20 AM »
Hey folks,

So I am leaving the country for a teaching job in the UK. I am Canadian.

Obviously, the UK teaching job requires that I supply them with an original police record check from Canada.

Will Korean immigration release me the document if I prove to them that I am leaving the country, or is that a futile pursuit? 

If Korea won't hand me back the document, how can I go about getting a new one from Korea? I can't afford to go back to Canada. 

details: I am breaking contract early (7 months). Giving my 2 month notice in the next week. No one in Canada has my power of Attorney (How I wish I would have done that before leaving!!!)

I'm not looking for advice on how I should finish the contract. It's not happening, and I'd rather keep the reasons private.

Thanks for helping, waygook!

Will Korean immigration release me the document if I prove to them that I am leaving the country?

No. 

Offline ACofOntario

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »
Ok, thank you for confirming that I can't get it back... but does anyone know how I can get one from here?  I'm calling Canada today, but I'd like to have as much info as possible before I do to avoid long distance charges... or if I can avoid the call altogether.  Do I need to call the Canadian embassy?

Offline Davox

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:22:11 AM »
Well, you're in luck!  (maybe)
Because I assume the UK, like a sane country, won't be specifically requiring a fingerprinted RCMP check.  Those are the ones that take forever if you apply while out of the country.

So what you need to do is contact your job in the UK and find out EXACTLY what kind of check you need (ie does it need to have a vulnerable sector: the "pedophile check" or is a regular one ok).    Once you know exactly what you need, go contact the police force most local to you the last time you lived in Canada.    Or conversely, the force most local to your parents/relatives/whoever you're going to be bugging to help you out.  Most of them have webpages and emails these days, so you don't even need to rack up long distance charges.  Most of them also have some kind of procedure for cases like yours.  Some will just mail it to the embassy here, some will want you to scan things and sign a paper allowing your Canadian contact to pick up the check for you.  Some may just outright refuse.

However, if worse comes to worse, there are now private companies in Canada providing legit police check services.  I walked into one in Canada to get my own most recent check done.  Maybe one of them would be willing to do some kind of online form thing even if the regular police say no.  It can't hurt to check, I guess.

Offline ACofOntario

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 01:02:57 PM »
Thank you very kindly Davox, that was the kind of reply I was waiting for.  Very helpful