February 16, 2019, 09:31:36 AM

Author Topic: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....  (Read 97170 times)

hilarity ensues

Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »
Blue Velvet, Wild At Heart and tonight it's Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me.
David Lynch is a genius.

Offline annab22

• Explorer
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »
I saw Act of Valor recently. Don't bother.  And I watched Dogtooth, a Greek movie, which was great. Very 'arty', but I thought the acting was brilliant.

Offline nathanpollard

• Adventurer
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2012, 02:18:05 PM »
Have to agree with the plaudits for Drive, I would have to say it was my film of the year; somehow so familiar, reminding me of so many films I love, ultra stylish direction and wonderful sound track.

My Sassy Girl is a cracker. A rom-com that was actually funny and some great twists and turns in the narrative.

As for other good films I have seen lately; My Name Is Joe was excellent, Whiskey Galore, rightly a classic comedy and The Hunger Games; big disapointment, not a patch on The Running Man.

I enjoyed Dogtooth; great messed up premise. Intrigued to see the director's follow up, The Alps about a misfit group of people who impersonate people's dead loved ones.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:20:25 PM by nathanpollard »

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Super Waygook
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
I loved Drive as well. I rarely watch movies twice, but I did for that one.

A movie that I never hear recommended is Terribly Happy.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087890/
Just such a strange movie, but not in a weird way. If you know what I mean.

Dog Tooth didn't really do it for me. Still well worth a watch, though.

Seems kind of obvious, but I watched a few Hitchcock movies earlier in the year, and each one blew my mind.

I really liked The Passenger with Jack Nicholson. I didn't really get it, but I catch myself day dreaming about certain scenes or lines from time to time. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073580/

And my favorite movie of the last decade. Such a tightly told tale and Colin Ferrell is amazing in it. Actually all the actors are good in it. The look on Ralph Fiennes' face when he rages out is indelibly etched on my brain. And the term "inanimate object" will never, ever exist for me again without an expletive separating the two words. The little tics, grimaces and expressions Ferrell uses never fail to crack me up. Definitely a once a year movie for me. Along with The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, No Country and Memories Of Murder.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2012, 12:36:14 AM »

And my favorite movie of the last decade. Such a tightly told tale and Colin Ferrell is amazing in it. Actually all the actors are good in it. The look on Ralph Fiennes' face when he rages out is indelibly etched on my brain. And the term "inanimate object" will never, ever exist for me again without an expletive separating the two words. The little tics, grimaces and expressions Ferrell uses never fail to crack me up. Definitely a once a year movie for me. Along with The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, No Country and Memories Of Murder.

What movie is that? Can't get imdb in China.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Super Waygook
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2012, 06:11:05 AM »

What movie is that? Can't get imdb in China.
Whoops, probably should have included that vital stat.

In Bruges

Offline JahRhythm

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • University E2 Visa
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »
As Harpo noted above, The new doc "Marley" is def. worth watching.
Tho if I'm picky,  the filmmaker would have done well to include more on Rastafarianism and the global politics of the time rather than interviews with nobodies harkening back to the good old days.

For an excellent doc. check out "The Art of the Steal."
Much more compelling than the basic premise may indicate: trust me.

We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2012, 10:45:24 PM »
Chronicle was quite good.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline jknott01

• Waygookin
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2012, 08:14:05 AM »
I'm watching anime: Ghost in the shell, Akira, and Paprika. Each of these movies make their Hollywood copycats (The Matrix, Chronicle, Inception) look like rubbish.

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »
Watched Steven Sodenburg's 'Haywire' last night.

Seriously, save your time and watch your laundry dry.

Offline olddog9000

• Explorer
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »
last night - American Beauty, if I was forced to choose just one movie I think this would be it...

tonight - The Station Agent w/ Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones...a great movie as well

Offline devanna

• Adventurer
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »
Kill me, I've watched Avengers like, 8 times in theaters, no lie. I love it, but also my friends are always like 'we haven't seen it yet!' and I feel like it's my obligation to relieve them of their Avengers virginity. Hence seeing it so many times.

I just recently watched Men in Black 3 and although it's been getting mixed reviews, I adored the way the story ended up. It was a conclusion. A good one. I am not disappointed, but not going to jump off cliffs to express it's awesome.

Snow White and the Huntsman confused the HELL out of me. You can't even blame Kristen Steward for it being a bad movie either, it was mostly just the screenplay itself. It could have been so good and then...and then it disappoints. But don't let that stop you. If anything tho, it's totally worth it for seeing Chris Hemsworth be a tall sexy piece of manflesh.

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2012, 08:48:31 AM »
Am waiting for Allen's 'To Rome with Love.'  Anyone know of a decent torrent, send me a link, only found a cam with Italian hardcoded subs so far and not watching that.  Won't be here at the cinemas in PRC I doubt, so download my only option.  Is certainly my 'movie event' of the year.

'Contraband' with Mark Whalberg is the best movie I've seen recently, a good, well paced action film only ever so slightly marred by a cheeseball ending.

Also have movie based on a French play 'Carnage' to watch, looks decent.

Oh, I almost forgot!  As I am living in Shanghai I found a list of films set in or about Shanghai on wiki!  'Shanghai Kiss' is a good little indie production with hints of Allen and 'Lost in Translation.'

I really LOVED 'The White Countess' with Ralph Feinnes (you have to love him, regardless of how esotoric his characters tend to be) and Natasha Richardson is superb in this film, such a shame she met so tragic a demise at a young age.  great cinematography by the incomparable Christian Doyle (of Wong Kar Wei movies and 'Last Life in the Universe' fame) an intriguing although somewhat detached and conceptual script by Kazuo Ishiguro and lavish sets depicting early 20th century Shanghai and it's swinging bar scene.

Oh, 'Never let me Go' was also very good and unlike any film you have seen or will see in a long time.  Very memorable and Keira Knightley was just stunning in this production.  Would be best to see this one if you HAVE NOT READ the book first as that would be a massive spoiler. 

Am also, as a Ian MacEwan fan, looking forward to 'The Comfort of Strangers' which I downloaded a week or two ago.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:43:43 PM by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

Offline sunshinefiasco

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »

Also have frnech movie 'Carnage' to watch, looks decent.

Carnage is good, but it's not really a french film. A French play, yes. But it's an entirely American cast and it's directed by Roman Polanski.

If you liked O Brother Where Art Thou, check out Down from the Mountain.

Offline Bump

• Veteran
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2012, 01:49:29 PM »
Checked out Chronicle last night...pretty good for a low budget sci-fi pic.  The theme of corruptible power within the context of superhuman powers was interesting...although something about it kept me at a distance. 

Offline Harpoinseoul

• Expert Waygook
  • www.harpo.ca
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2012, 10:42:21 PM »
Just finished watching SAFE HOUSE. Not bad, though very violent.
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2012, 12:07:25 AM »
Carnage had early promise but was ultimately forgetable.  Save yourself watching it and settle with this spoiler - 'Adults are no more grown up or civilised than children.'  Fin.

Offline rach229

• Veteran
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2012, 08:46:31 AM »
Went to Snow White and the Huntsman and was very disappointed in the film. I was expecting more from it but then again, you shouldn't expect great things to come from Kristin Stewart but even Chris Hemsworth wasn't as good as he could have been. I also saw Prometheus and got exactly what I was expecting.... so terrible it was comical at times.

Downloaded Chronicle and thought it was actually pretty good especially for how the movie was filmed. I'm not a fan of the ones that are made to look like the characters are filming themselves.

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »
Just downloaded the oldie but goldie 'True Romance' to watch tomorrow.

Oldman, Penn, Kilmer, Walken, Slater all give great performances and a cool as hell script from Tarrantino.

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2012, 10:32:17 AM »
Yup it was awesome. Though I can see why Quinten was unhappy with it, some of the music is godawful and makes it seem dated to the 80's genre and it lacks his cinematography style.  Otherwise a killer flick.