February 17, 2019, 03:16:52 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....  (Read 97212 times)

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #460 on: November 05, 2018, 08:34:40 AM »
This isn't a movie, but "Haunting of Hill House" was really fantastic. My boyfriend doesn't like horror at all, but he was turning on Netflix as soon as he got home to watch it because it was so addicting. The story was well constructed and the atmosphere was tense without a lot of cheap thrills.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #461 on: November 05, 2018, 08:44:29 AM »
I watched Bohemian Rhapsody at the weekend and absolutely loved it.  Highly recommend it and it's worth it for the concert at the end alone.

Peculiar thing though...

When we see Freddie kiss a man for the first time, there was a very noticable (audible) gasp from everyone in the theatre.  It was so strange.  I asked my girlfriend afterwards if she noticed it and she said that lots of Koreans don't know that Freddie was gay  :huh:

I would have loved to have witnessed the reaction to Brokeback Mountain  :laugh:

Yeah, I saw it in IMAX in Chuncheon. Theatre was 20% full and same thing. Not super loud, but audible. 
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline ESLTurtle

• Super Waygook
« Reply #462 on: November 05, 2018, 05:48:18 PM »
안시성

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #463 on: January 28, 2019, 08:37:48 AM »
I watched the Netflix Fyre festival documentary; absolutely brilliant and highly recommend it.

I couldn't help thinking though...Billy McFarland looks a lot like CO2  ;D

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #464 on: January 28, 2019, 09:01:49 AM »
Watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Never read the books but I like Daniel Craig and the director David Fincher. Top-notch movie.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #465 on: January 28, 2019, 09:55:32 AM »
I watched the Netflix Fyre festival documentary; absolutely brilliant and highly recommend it.

I couldn't help thinking though...Billy McFarland looks a lot like CO2  ;D

That's on my watch list, I'll be back with some thoughts................. haha

Also, Savant, watch the Swedish trilogy, really, really good.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #466 on: January 28, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »
Murder! (1930) by Hitchcock, an early effort. He directed and also wrote the script. The pace is uneven but it holds up surprisingly well. I enjoyed it last week.

I saw it because the youtube algorithm popped it up for me and I was in the mood so clicked it.

A few months ago I had searched out Hitch's 1955 To Catch a Thief with Carey Grant and Grace Kelly, a gorgeous film to watch if you have a big high quality TV (Grant's home looks very much like that of Statham's character from The Transporter movies). The film script seems like a cut and paste from the mystery short story mold. Still, the actors and director make it worth returning to.

Earlier last year I watched Suspicion (1941), a film with real chemistry between the leads and a shocking violent bombing scene Hitch had been hesitant to include but did. It was during WWII and seemed apt, but is not typical Hitch style.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:36:05 AM by VanIslander »

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #467 on: January 28, 2019, 12:37:28 PM »
Earlier last year I watched Suspicion (1941), a film with real chemistry between the leads and a shocking violent bombing scene Hitch had been hesitant to include but did. It was during WWII and seemed apt, but is not typical Hitch style.

I think you may be confusing Suspicion and Notorious. Notorious usually gets better reviews but I prefer Suspicion. I like the way Grant and his bumbling mate undermine Joan Fontaine's trust. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a bomb in Suspicion

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #468 on: February 14, 2019, 10:00:09 AM »
Abducted in Plain Sight is one of the weirdest true crime documentaries I've seen.  Well worth a watch.

Also, not a movie but I'm rewatching This Country.  The best British comedy since The Office and definitely recommended if you're a fan of that.   

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #469 on: February 14, 2019, 10:02:56 AM »
I watched The Favourite last week.

Very, very well done. Great acting and dialogue. They must have used every single lens ever invented, too, barring a split diopter.

I watched Adaptation again last night, for the tenth time. That movie is a masterpiece. A movie about movies and how important art is. Reminded me of Velvet Buzzsaw, thematically speaking, but is a 10/10 instead of a 6/10. haha Nicolas Cage's best performance, Academy winning performance from Chris Cooper and Meryl Streep is great as usual.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #470 on: February 14, 2019, 10:05:43 AM »
I watched The Favourite last week.

Very, very well done. Great acting and dialogue. They must have used every single lens ever invented, too, barring a split diopter.

I watched Adaptation again last night, for the tenth time. That movie is a masterpiece. A movie about movies and how important art is. Reminded me of Velvet Buzzsaw, thematically speaking, but is a 10/10 instead of a 6/10. haha Nicolas Cage's best performance, Academy winning performance from Chris Cooper and Meryl Streep is great as usual.

Have you seen Mandy, yet? Thoughts?

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #471 on: February 14, 2019, 10:08:04 AM »
I watched Alita: Battle Angel on Tuesday with no context of the original source material. And I think Alita's appearance can be used to describe the film as a whole:

Weird and off-putting
The World Ends With You

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #472 on: February 14, 2019, 10:18:32 AM »
I watched Alita: Battle Angel on Tuesday with no context of the original source material. And I think Alita's appearance can be used to describe the film as a whole:

Weird and off-putting

I saw it in Yongsan Laser IMAX 3D. Good god, it's gorgeous. That was a lot of fun visually.

However, the last ten mins are a hugeeeeeee F*CK you. **SPOLIERS**

Magic sword cuts big baddy in 2 seconds. Stabs super villain. Wow, Edward Norten! ----> Alita is top of the game now! Wait, what? How did she get there? "I'm looking at you city in the sky we've been hyping this entire movie!" Cut to black This was such a non-ending. SO BAD

I get that it's a franchise, but Jesus Christ, NO.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #473 on: February 14, 2019, 10:19:16 AM »

I have not, but it's on my list of movies to watch. The list that grows faster than can be watched. Shit. hahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #474 on: February 14, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »

I have not, but it's on my list of movies to watch. The list that grows faster than can be watched. Shit. hahaha

Oh. Okay. It's definitely worth watching. It's... not a masterpiece or anything. And the pacing is super... weird. But it's definitely ambitious.

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #475 on: February 14, 2019, 10:34:39 AM »
Watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Never read the books but I like Daniel Craig and the director David Fincher. Top-notch movie.

Still to watch the Swedish original series.

Did catch the Hollywood version of "The Girl in the Spider's Web". Very different from "...Dragon Tattoo" and ultimately, not as good in terms of plot, suspense and character development.

Still a good stand-alone action film but feels more hi-tech Jason Bourne-ish than anything remotely linked to the original series.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #476 on: February 14, 2019, 10:41:30 AM »

Did catch the Hollywood version of "The Girl in the Spider's Web". Very different from "...Dragon Tattoo" and ultimately, not as good in terms of plot, suspense and character development.

Still a good stand-alone action film but feels more hi-tech Jason Bourne-ish than anything remotely linked to the original series.

The main tonal shift was scale. The other movies/books were always personal. It's bringing people to justice for harming others. It's intimate, emotional and personal.

This one? Wew lad, TERRORISTS HAVE THE NUCLEAR CODES!!! Gunfights with henchman! Car chases through Stockholm!

It just feels too large scale to care as much. Bringing a serial killer to justice will always have more heart then mowing down 30 faceless henchmen to stop the nuclear bomb from destroying the planet.

It's the same reason we get more upset about a newspaper article about a teacher going missing and found murdered than a car bomb that kills 13 people in Basra.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #477 on: February 14, 2019, 10:46:19 AM »

The main tonal shift was scale. The other movies/books were always personal. It's bringing people to justice for harming others. It's intimate, emotional and personal.

This one? Wew lad, TERRORISTS HAVE THE NUCLEAR CODES!!! Gunfights with henchman! Car chases through Stockholm!

It just feels too large scale to care as much. Bringing a serial killer to justice will always have more heart then mowing down 30 faceless henchmen to stop the nuclear bomb from destroying the planet.

It's the same reason we get more upset about a newspaper article about a teacher going missing and found murdered than a car bomb that kills 13 people in Basra.

Wait - are we  thinking of the same movie? I... don't remember anything like that in the Hollywood version.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #478 on: February 14, 2019, 10:53:41 AM »
Wait - are we  thinking of the same movie? I... don't remember anything like that in the Hollywood version.

You're thinking of Fincher's movie. Which is really good.

I'm talking aboat the one from last year, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_in_the_Spider%27s_Web_(film)

The joys of fauxtherhood

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #479 on: February 14, 2019, 10:59:17 AM »
Thor Ragnarok. Bit late to the party. It was something different as far as superhero movies go.

Roma. On netflix. That was a great movie. It stayed in my mind for like 2 weeks. Cuaron does some amzing stuff. Going from Gravity to this.

Unbroken. About american POWs in Japan. I read reviews that shat on this, but i liked it a lot. Any story that ends with someone returning somewhere in old age, be it in victory or not, gets me in the feels.
Kpip! - Martin 2018