February 16, 2019, 08:56:40 AM

Author Topic: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....  (Read 97164 times)

Offline yeongsin

• Explorer
Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #380 on: February 28, 2013, 01:49:27 AM »
Remember the titans
Flipped
Dead Poets Society

Offline cheezsteakwit

• Veteran
« Reply #381 on: February 28, 2013, 09:14:15 PM »
Just saw 'Argo'
- very good. I was tense even though I knew how it was going to end. I need to research the facts behind the whole incident, but I guess sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.  I liked Alan Arkin & John Goodmans characters.

Saw 'The Master' a few weeks ago. 
- intense performances by Jaouquin Phoenix &  Philip Seymour Hoffman, as usual,  but I was glad I was redditing at the same time as the movie, so my 2 hours weren't a total waste of time.

Saw ' Parker' recently - it was good & it was about what you'd expect from a Jason Statham movie.  I forgot Jennifer lopez was still acting.  Haven't seen anything from her in a while.

I see someone up above downloaded 'Layer Cake' - LOVED that movie.

I also liked  the movie, 'RocknRolla' by Guy Ritchie.... kinda hoping he does a sequel to that one.  Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Offline waterfall12

• Super Waygook
« Reply #382 on: March 01, 2013, 04:21:23 AM »
Battle Royale

No explanation needed

Offline tokixjam

• Veteran
« Reply #383 on: March 02, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »
I watched Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters.

It was a fun movie.  Not really good, but fun.

I saw that yesterday! perfect cannon fodder for a tired waygook after partying in seoul. it was very very bad but if you check your ego at the door and go with a few friends its bloody hilarious.

"I WANT YOUR BRAINS!"

hahahahaha great script  :laugh:

Another great one I just saw 2 nights ago was Jack the Giant Killer.

Definitely another "Not good, but not bad" movies.  Entertaining, but not really recommendable. ^_^

Offline Solaris

• Adventurer
« Reply #384 on: March 09, 2013, 08:33:13 AM »
Three of the movies that I love to revisit and I feel are highly underrated are:

Moon: an absolutely incredible sci fi drama.  It involves a man, living alone on a mining facility on the moon for 3 years when strange events begin to occur.  If you have any interest, read nothing about it going in, don`t watch any trailers, the beauty of the movie is in the discovery of what is truly happening.  Even after the discovery, you can admire one of the most amazing acting performances you have ever seen by Sam Rockwell. 

50 50 : Relatively recent film with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Seth Rogen.  JGL finds out he has cancer at young age and has to learn to accept it.  Its surprisingly funny but also with a lot of heart to it.

Stranger than Fiction:  This is a high concept movie with Will Ferell where he finds out he is actually a protagonist of a persons novel.  The author of this novel does not realize she is controlling his life and is prepared to end the novel with him dying.  Its a wonderful story and great acting by everyone in the film. 

Offline arosesg

• Veteran
« Reply #385 on: March 12, 2013, 01:19:21 PM »
"Jiro Dreams of Sushi"

A documentary about Jiro, a very old renowned sushi chef, and his two sons running their restaurants in Tokyo.

It was like a love letter to sushi.  Long shots, often slow motion with an orchestral sountrack.  If you're a sushi lover or into Japanese culture, you'll probably enjoy the movie.  I found the behind-the-scenes look at running a restaurant, sushi preparation, and Jiro's life story interesting, but it felt a bit long overall. 

Offline kcampb8

• Adventurer
« Reply #386 on: March 15, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
I liked 'Hitchcock' - it's about the making of 'Psycho'. Good if you're an Alfred Hitchcock fan and/or like watching movies that were set in the '50s/60s. Also, it has a lot of good actors in it - Toni Collette, Helen Mirren, Anthony Hopkins...

Offline arranteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #387 on: March 18, 2013, 12:15:45 AM »
Stoker - by PCW very good and great music by Emily wells

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #388 on: March 18, 2013, 02:09:59 PM »
i saw "oz: the great and powerful" on saturday night.

should have been titled "oz: the long and boring". they could have easily cut out 20 minutes of that movie... there was very little action, and most of the "plot" had too much emphasis on the visuals of the movie.

this was the most interesting part of the movie (except for james franco's vast crows feet):

because warner bros. owns the rights to iconic elements of the 1939 mgm film, including the ruby slippers worn by judy garland, disney was unable to use them nor any character likenesses from that particular film. this extended to the green of the wicked witch's skin, for which disney used what its legal department considered a sufficiently different shade called theostein. the studio could not, however, use the signature chin mole of margaret hamilton's portrayal of the wicked witch of the west.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline gclancy

• Veteran
« Reply #389 on: March 18, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »
it's going to be a busy month, here's what i just downloaded:  (some i'm rewatching some are new to me)

LAYER CAKE: 2004
A successful cocaine dealer gets two tough assignments from his boss on the eve of his planned early retirement. (105 mins.)

MESRINE - KILLER INSTINK & PUBLIC ENEMY NO. 1: (2 separate movies)
The story of notorious French gangster Jacques Mesrine. (133 mins.)

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA: 1984
A former Prohibition-era Jewish gangster returns to the Lower East Side of Manhattan over thirty years later, where he once again must confront the ghosts and regrets of his old life. (229 mins.)

STATE OF GRACE: 1990
Terry Noonan returns home to New York's Hells Kitchen after a ten year absence. He soon hooks up with... (134 mins.)

CLOCKERS:1995
  Young drug pushers in the projects of Brooklyn live hard dangerous lives, trapped between their drug bosses and the detectives out to stop them. (128 mins.)

ON THE WATERFRONT: 1954
An ex-prize fighter turned longshoreman struggles to stand up to his corrupt union bosses. (108 mins.)

GET CARTER: 1971
When his brother dies under mysterious circumstances in a car accident, London gangster Jack Carter travels to Newcastle to investigate. (112 mins.)

AMORES PERROS: 2000
A horrific car accident connects three stories, each involving characters dealing with loss, regret, and life's harsh realities, all in the name of love. (154 mins.)

TROPA DE ELITE:2007
1997, Captain Nascimento has to find a substitute for his occupation while trying to take down drug dealers and criminals before the Pope comes to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (115 mins.)

25TH HOUR: 2002
Cornered by the DEA, convicted New York drug dealer Montgomery Brogan reevaluates his life in the 24 remaining hours before facing a seven-year jail term. (135 mins.)

ROAD TO PERDITION: 2002
Bonds of loyalty are put to the test when a hitman's son witnesses what his father does for a living. (117 mins.)

ELITE SQUAD THE ENEMY WITHIN: 2010
After a prison riot, former-Captain Nascimento, now a high ranking security officer in Rio de Janeiro, is swept into a bloody political dispute that involves government officials and paramilitary groups. (115 mins.)

Try "A Prophet" for French gangster. Better than Mesrine (in my humble opinion!)

Offline tokixjam

• Veteran
« Reply #390 on: March 18, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »
i saw "oz: the great and powerful" on saturday night.

should have been titled "oz: the long and boring". they could have easily cut out 20 minutes of that movie... there was very little action, and most of the "plot" had too much emphasis on the visuals of the movie.

this was the most interesting part of the movie (except for james franco's vast crows feet):

because warner bros. owns the rights to iconic elements of the 1939 mgm film, including the ruby slippers worn by judy garland, disney was unable to use them nor any character likenesses from that particular film. this extended to the green of the wicked witch's skin, for which disney used what its legal department considered a sufficiently different shade called theostein. the studio could not, however, use the signature chin mole of margaret hamilton's portrayal of the wicked witch of the west.

MAN, I'm really bummed about all the negative reviews I'm hearing about this movie!  There are only so many American releases in Korea, and this one just HAD to bite the big one!

In other news, I just watched The Human Centipede: The First Sequence.  I watched it out of morbid curiosity.
And I WILL watch the second one.  Just because.  NETFLIX, f*** yea!

Offline Harpoinseoul

• Expert Waygook
  • www.harpo.ca
« Reply #391 on: March 31, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »
My wife and I were on Yongsan Post with a friend today and we watched THE CROODS. It was a very good movie!!  Was pleasantly surprised by it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:52:06 PM by Harpoinseoul »
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #392 on: March 31, 2013, 08:01:44 PM »
Red Dawn (2012 version). Didn't plan it, accidental. Bad timing to watch that movie  :laugh: .
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #393 on: March 31, 2013, 08:36:49 PM »
The Lion King.  ;D :angel:
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline tokixjam

• Veteran
« Reply #394 on: April 01, 2013, 02:31:41 PM »
Warm Bodies was good!

Of course, my friends and I are always the only ones laughing in the theater...

Offline Harpoinseoul

• Expert Waygook
  • www.harpo.ca
« Reply #395 on: May 01, 2013, 08:55:26 PM »
I watched MOVIE 43. It's a very strange movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. I laughed my a** off! Very bizarre humor!!

In addition, THE COMPANY THAT YOU KEEP. An excellent film that is directed by (and stars) Robert Redford.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:52:33 PM by Harpoinseoul »
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #396 on: May 02, 2013, 09:05:39 PM »
I watched MOVIE 43. It's a very strange movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. I laughed my a** off! Very bizarre humor!!

I thought it was funny too, and yeah, BIZZARE!

"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline tokixjam

• Veteran
« Reply #397 on: May 02, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »
I just watched Iron Man 3.  That was fun.

I feel like all the Korean people that are in the theater with me don't understand just how hilarious the movie is..

Why does no one else laugh?  I mean, I laugh at subtitled Korean movies, even though I don't know very much Korean.  What is it that doesn't tickle any Korean persons' funny bone?

I know they miss a lot of puns and innuendos, but there's gotta be more for them to quietly laugh at than the purely physical scenes.

Jeeez...

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #398 on: May 03, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »

I feel like all the Korean people that are in the theater with me don't understand just how hilarious the movie is..

Why does no one else laugh?  I mean, I laugh at subtitled Korean movies, even though I don't know very much Korean.  What is it that doesn't tickle any Korean persons' funny bone?

I know they miss a lot of puns and innuendos, but there's gotta be more for them to quietly laugh at than the purely physical scenes.

Jeeez...

oh i laughed out loud several times, and then felt bad because i was the only one laughing  :-[ .
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline tokixjam

• Veteran
« Reply #399 on: May 03, 2013, 01:57:36 PM »

Jeeez...

oh i laughed out loud several times, and then felt bad because i was the only one laughing  :-[ .
Hahaha...oh man.  I went with my two friends and so all three of us were laughing, but 3 cackling girls in a quiet theater is still awkward.