February 16, 2019, 09:24:27 AM

Author Topic: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....  (Read 97169 times)

Offline JamesBondGibbon

• Veteran
  • The cat sat on the mat.
Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »
Are there any good movies out in the cinemas right now? I saw Skyfall a few weeks ago - I thought it had a lot of potential but turned out to be too drawn out, the use of technology and the storyline was kind of stupid and on the whole it was a bit garbage. Any other suggestions?

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #281 on: December 04, 2012, 09:25:50 AM »
last night i watched "the cabin in the woods". i really dug it! it did not go the way i was expecting it to. if you're a horror and/or sci-fi fan, you have to check it out! if you're a joss whedon fan, well then you've probably already seen it.

They should have saved the bits about the scientists for the end-- seriously, making it into a gag sucked every last bit of suspense out of the film and made into a so-so horror comedy/satire. I get that they're being 'meta', but the way that they were constantly reminding everyone that it was all just a routine/part of a day's work made it seem less interesting than it could have been.

The only time I laughed was the bit with the schoolgirls and the frog, but the rest of the time I was just watching it thinking 'yeah, okay I get it, you're clever... but this isn't exciting'.

i see what you mean. i had read a preliminary "review" for the movie before it came out. it wasn't so much a review as it was a warning to not read anything, or watch a trailer, for the movie... to just go in completely blind. so i did. the parts with the scientists were, as you say, quite meta, but maybe didn't annoy me too much.

if they had saved them for a complete reveal at the end, i think people would have complained that it wasn't fleshed out enough.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #282 on: December 04, 2012, 09:31:48 AM »
Are there any good movies out in the cinemas right now? I saw Skyfall a few weeks ago - I thought it had a lot of potential but turned out to be too drawn out, the use of technology and the storyline was kind of stupid and on the whole it was a bit garbage. Any other suggestions?

well, there's the latest twilight 'spectacular', and "the hobbit" comes out next week too.

disney's latest "wreck-it-ralph" is out in a couple of weeks, and "judge dredd 3D" is out this week.

Offline JamesBondGibbon

• Veteran
  • The cat sat on the mat.
« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »

well, there's the latest twilight 'spectacular', and "the hobbit" comes out next week too.

disney's latest "wreck-it-ralph" is out in a couple of weeks, and "judge dredd 3D" is out this week.

That looks like a fairly solid "no" then. The hobbit might be OK I guess, was looking for something this weekend though..  :cry:

Offline Chadwickhhs

• Expert Waygook
  • This is the fate of all who oppose me.
« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2012, 09:51:21 AM »
last night i watched "the cabin in the woods". i really dug it! it did not go the way i was expecting it to. if you're a horror and/or sci-fi fan, you have to check it out! if you're a joss whedon fan, well then you've probably already seen it.

They should have saved the bits about the scientists for the end-- seriously, making it into a gag sucked every last bit of suspense out of the film and made into a so-so horror comedy/satire. I get that they're being 'meta', but the way that they were constantly reminding everyone that it was all just a routine/part of a day's work made it seem less interesting than it could have been.

The only time I laughed was the bit with the schoolgirls and the frog, but the rest of the time I was just watching it thinking 'yeah, okay I get it, you're clever... but this isn't exciting'.
Really? Those guys were my favorite part of the whole movie.

Offline JeremyC

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #285 on: December 28, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »
Two weeks ago I saw the remake of Total Recall. I don't expect much of remakes and this was certainly no different, but thought it worth sticking on for maybe a little amusement and Beckinsale. The cinematography was surprisingly good, I quite enjoyed the ridiculous, hysterical premise of a United Federation of Britain (U.F.B. - Un-****ing-Believable) and its antipodal Colony, some good chases and the oddest elevator since Charlie found a golden ticket. I liked the references to the excellent original, although didn't miss the bug eyes all that much.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #286 on: December 28, 2012, 09:43:47 PM »
Two weeks ago I saw the remake of Total Recall. I don't expect much of remakes and this was certainly no different, but thought it worth sticking on for maybe a little amusement and Beckinsale. The cinematography was surprisingly good, I quite enjoyed the ridiculous, hysterical premise of a United Federation of Britain (U.F.B. - Un-****ing-Believable) and its antipodal Colony, some good chases and the oddest elevator since Charlie found a golden ticket. I liked the references to the excellent original, although didn't miss the bug eyes all that much.

v for vendetta had a similar concept for GB.

I couldn't get past some of the more obvious shots of Toronto that they CG'ed. I just found the whole thing incredibly dull. and Bryan Cranston was severely under-utilised.

Offline Harpoinseoul

• Expert Waygook
  • www.harpo.ca
« Reply #287 on: December 29, 2012, 12:05:31 AM »
I saw The Hobbit in 3D at the IMAX theater at Yongsan I-Park Mall. It was very good.It was the first 3D movie that I actually enjoyed! The story seemed a bit slow and it wasn't quite as up to par as the LOTR trilogy IMHO, but it was still very interesting!

I also saw Life of Pi on my computer. Another good film, but there are only so many things that you can do out in the middle of the Pacific. Kind of dragged a little, but a very interesting story. Should have watched that in 3D (It's 3D, right?)...I still might.
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #288 on: December 29, 2012, 07:35:07 AM »

I also saw Life of Pi on my computer. Another good film, but there are only so many things that you can do out in the middle of the Pacific. Kind of dragged a little, but a very interesting story. Should have watched that in 3D (It's 3D, right?)...I still might.

yes, filmed in 3D. apparently ang lee only wanted to do the movie if he could film it in 3D - but the studio was quite hesitant!

Offline ninohan

• Adventurer
  • http://www.expatguidekorea.com
« Reply #289 on: December 29, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
I watched 2005 Kingkong. It was horrible.
Everything you want to know about living in Seoul. More than 7,000 English speaking business directory. http://www.expatguidekorea.com

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #290 on: December 29, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »
Samsara was fantastic. If you decide to check it out, don't go in expecting anything... just take it all as it comes.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #291 on: December 29, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »
^looks incredible. I love this type of thing.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

hilarity ensues

« Reply #292 on: December 29, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
I watched 'Compliance' it was exceptionally lame.
I guess it was a true story and everything, but it was impossible to suspend my disbelief.

Offline mouldering

• Waygookin
« Reply #293 on: December 29, 2012, 10:37:40 PM »
I actually watched Bridesmaids and thought it was painfully awkward and not funny. I was cringing the entire time and trying not to think about punching the main character in the face.

Paprika was good, though.

Offline Superchick3

• Veteran
« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2013, 10:09:20 AM »
Oooh I loved Pitch Perfect, LOVED it! I showed some of my Korean friends and they loved it to (it was subtitled in English to help them) so if you have any friends looking for a movie it's quite fun to watch.

BTW, Samsara looks awesome. Is it out in theaters here?

I just saw Cloud Atlas in the theaters.... worth a watch on the big screen, great story. I can't believe how they changed some of the actors up to look different genders and races!

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #295 on: January 14, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »
BTW, Samsara looks awesome. Is it out in theaters here?

I wish it were  :sad:. Seeing it in an IMAX theatre would have been amazing, but I couldn't resist watching it once some very high quality torrents of the movie appeared.

Offline Nobbie Q

• Veteran
« Reply #296 on: January 15, 2013, 02:46:19 AM »
I watched 'Compliance' it was exceptionally lame.
I guess it was a true story and everything, but it was impossible to suspend my disbelief.

I felt the same. It was brilliant up until the fiancee of the manager comes to look over the girl. It quickly got unrealistic at that point.

Offline dtninja831

• Adventurer
« Reply #297 on: January 15, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »
When it comes to movies, I like watching variety. 

If you're willing to make an effort,  try watching some Korean films,
there are some great ones that came out this past year.

The Thieves, 도독들 - is a great movie, there are places to find online with English subtitles.

Another great movie is called the Scent, 간기남
it's about a guy who works as a detective and handles cases about adultery.
He finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation and he's the main suspect.
plus there are some great scenes by the sexy actress, Park Si-Yeon. 

I haven't seen many movies lately in theaters though,  I hear the Hobbit is decent though,

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #298 on: January 15, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »
Silver Linings Playbook. Best movie I've seen this year. Objectively, just a decent movie, but for me it was the best. God, so incredible.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #299 on: January 15, 2013, 11:06:16 AM »
Silver Linings Playbook. Best movie I've seen this year. Objectively, just a decent movie, but for me it was the best. God, so incredible.

thanks for the recommendation! i will check it out.