December 13, 2018, 11:09:08 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: FAQ (ARC, extending visa, severance, etc., etc.) UPDATED August 28, 2014  (Read 75073 times)

Offline monica100587

• Newgookin
Hey guys,

I am leaving on Feb 27th, 2013. I will be in Thailand until then. I was wandering what the exact or estimated date is when you receive your severance and airfare. I know that the school will deposit it after the DMOE gives it to the school, but it may not be on payday. Previous teachers, did any of you guys have problems with this?? Did you guys get it back b4 you leave Korea??

Offline DownnDirty

• Veteran
US Criminal Background Check question:

I'm about 8 months into my first contract and I'm looking to transfer to another hagwon.  Do I need to do another CBC?  Is this something that I should do now, just in case? 

Offline skippy

• Expert Waygook
  • E2/hagwon/Canuck

I'm about 8 months into my first contract and I'm looking to transfer to another hagwon.  Do I need to do another CBC?  Is this something that I should do now, just in case?

No, if you do a transfer you will not need to submit another one.  Still recommend getting one in the works for future problems and mess ups.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

Offline smores85

• Waygookin

No, if you do a transfer you will not need to submit another one.  Still recommend getting one in the works for future problems and mess ups.

This is correct.  If you sign a new contract before your visa has expired and such, it is a straight visa transfer and you do not need a new CBC.  However, I have run into issues finding a new school in time and wish someone would have advised me to get a new background check anyway.

On a side note, the fee for ARCs has gone up to 20,000 won as of Jan 1, 2013.

Offline tootyfruity

• Adventurer
  • www.taryndelish.com
Hello All

Does my visa expire at the same time as my arc? My contract expires on May 9th and My arc expires June 9th.  Do I have to extend my visa? My new job starts on May 20th and I would like to travel on the 12th of May.

Sorry if this question has been asked before

Thanks for your help
Please help its kind of urgent

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
Question:

I just extended my visa and the date on the back of my ARC was changed to reflect this; however, there's nothing in my passport that reflects this change. My original visa is there and not other stamp or mark signifying the change.

Is this to be expected?

I'm going back to the states for a wedding in June and don't want to get to the airport and immigration to discover my visa has 'expired'.

Thanks

Offline skippy

• Expert Waygook
  • E2/hagwon/Canuck
Question:

I just extended my visa and the date on the back of my ARC was changed to reflect this; however, there's nothing in my passport that reflects this change. My original visa is there and not other stamp or mark signifying the change.

Is this to be expected?

I'm going back to the states for a wedding in June and don't want to get to the airport and immigration to discover my visa has 'expired'.

Thanks

This is normal!   The key is your ARC. Immigration/Customs will check you visa your ARC. When you travel DO NOT give the ARC PERMANENTLY.  Shoe do not give if you are traveling. If you give the ARC the visa is canceled.

Consider getting some scans and color copies of your ARC just in case.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:04:41 PM by skippy »
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
Question:

Is this to be expected?

Thanks

This is normal!   They key is your ARC. Immigration/Customs will check you visa your ARC. When you travel DO NOT give the ARC PERMANENTLY.  If you give the ARC the visa is canceled.

Consider getting some scans and color copies of your ARC just in case.

Thanks! Skippy! My mind is at ease.

Offline ANJimenez3

• Newgookin
I realize this is a bit ahead of the game and all, but I was intending on renewing my contract, but leaving after 6 months, thus breaking the contract.  Aside from the 700,000 won being waived (since I would leave immediately after 6 months), is there anything else I should aware of?

I'm mostly concerned about the pension, severance pay, and even if (by breaking the contract) Korea will black list me from the country.  Has anybody dealt with this before or know of anybody who has?

Any info is much appreciated.  Thanks!!

Offline CaramelMac

• Waygookin
Hi,

I am finishing my contract in August and I'm wondering if the exit allowance is a set rate (I think I've read 1.3mil) or is it the exact cost of your ticket? Or does it depend on your school? I know in most Hagwon's the school book and pay for the ticket, but not sure with EPIK.

Thanks in advance ;D

Offline Pikkle

• Veteran
Hi,

I am finishing my contract in August and I'm wondering if the exit allowance is a set rate (I think I've read 1.3mil) or is it the exact cost of your ticket? Or does it depend on your school? I know in most Hagwon's the school book and pay for the ticket, but not sure with EPIK.

Thanks in advance ;D

It depends on your contract. When I was with GEPIK, it was a reimbursement with a maximum set at I think 1.8mil. Now with I'm with EPIK, it's a flat rate to do with it what you will. If you read 1.3 in your contract, that's what it is. (I thought it was a little higher than that, but I'm not entirely sure)

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
Been back in Korea since mid-July. I have got my visa for a new job while outside of Korea before I came back.

My job starts next week. Do you have to get the card to work? Do I have 90 days to get my Alien Registration Card?

Offline shamash

• Adventurer
One more question about pay at the end of the contract
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2013, 06:51:46 PM »
My employer is saying that a coworker and I can't get paid on our last day of the contract(first Mon. of sept), but instead will get paid on the usual payday a few days later, after we're both no longer in Korea, then 10 days later for severance, then the payday of the next month(October) for the 2 days of the session that won't be on the September paycheck.

Are there any laws about this?  It kinda seems like you should receive all the money you're owed before leaving the country, and having 3 separate transfers to a US bank account is going to end up being ~150$ worth of charges.

Offline bird212

• Super Waygook
Re: One more question about pay at the end of the contract
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2013, 10:42:46 PM »
Is there any way for them to get your home banking information and deposit it that way/can you trust them to follow through with it?  I really don't know anything about all this, but I'm coming in a week via EPIK and my recruiter at Korvia told us to bring a copy of a personal check of ours with all of our home banking account info for the school to have when we leave so they can deposit our last money that way....But I haven't been through it or know how it works exactly!
Get $10 off your first order at www.iherb.com with this code KRG363

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
Re: One more question about pay at the end of the contract
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2013, 02:12:40 AM »
My employer is saying that a coworker and I can't get paid on our last day of the contract(first Mon. of sept), but instead will get paid on the usual payday a few days later, after we're both no longer in Korea, then 10 days later for severance, then the payday of the next month(October) for the 2 days of the session that won't be on the September paycheck.

Are there any laws about this?  It kinda seems like you should receive all the money you're owed before leaving the country, and having 3 separate transfers to a US bank account is going to end up being ~150$ worth of charges.

No laws; all you can do is ask.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline SNOGLO

• Newgookin
Re: FAQ (ARC, extending visa, severance, etc., etc.) UPDATED August 12, 2013
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2013, 09:10:35 AM »
What about getting another medical check done if you're renewing?  This guide and the immigration website don't list a medical screening as a requirement. 

If you're renewing, you'll need the following documents:

- Your passport
- Your Alien Registration Card
- Your new contract
- Proof of Employment, the POE Business Registration Number (ask your school for these)
- A processing fee: ~30,000 KRW (cash only)

Is this something that only your school requires, or is it an immigration requirement?  Nearly all of my foreigner friends have gotten their medicals, but I'd love to avoid the hassle of an afternoon being shuffled around the clinics here if I can...

Offline skippy

• Expert Waygook
  • E2/hagwon/Canuck
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »
What about getting another medical check done if you're renewing?  This guide and the immigration website don't list a medical screening as a requirement. 

If you're renewing, you'll need the following documents:

- Your passport
- Your Alien Registration Card
- Your new contract
- Proof of Employment, the POE Business Registration Number (ask your school for these)
- A processing fee: ~30,000 KRW (cash only)

Is this something that only your school requires, or is it an immigration requirement?  Nearly all of my foreigner friends have gotten their medicals, but I'd love to avoid the hassle of an afternoon being shuffled around the clinics here if I can...

Health checks in general are an immigration requirement.  Get it if immigration asks for it.   Sometimes schools just go the one same way for all teachers.  Never mind that there mind be differences or alternatives.  For renewals it is not often required.  Yet do expect to be asked if it has been a while. 
Through I could add that health checks can also be a bit of a employment requirement.  Do not do it, do not get the job. The job may want it for other reason like showing parents that their dancing money is not a a dirty foreigner. 
So ask the school why they want it.   If it is because they think they need it.  Tell them to double check.  If they want it for their own reasons consider getting it done, but having them pay for it.

Offline Claytron

• Explorer
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »
Let's say I renewed at a public school (gepik) for two years, giving me 3 years total service. What kind of severance can one expect at the end of that assuming the person was paid 2.1, 2.3, 2.5 for each year? Is the worker paid 3 severances?

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2013, 03:56:59 PM »
Let's say I renewed at a public school (gepik) for two years, giving me 3 years total service. What kind of severance can one expect at the end of that assuming the person was paid 2.1, 2.3, 2.5 for each year? Is the worker paid 3 severances?

it's the last three months of employment.

so (2.5 x 3 months) x 3 years.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2014, 11:40:35 AM »
Has anybody been asked to submit an apt lease in order to extend their employment 1 month? 
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/