December 14, 2018, 12:22:25 AM

Author Topic: FAQ (ARC, extending visa, severance, etc., etc.) UPDATED August 28, 2014  (Read 75075 times)

Offline skippy

• Expert Waygook
  • E2/hagwon/Canuck
Re: FAQ (ARC, extending visa, severance, etc., etc.) UPDATED August 12, 2013
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2014, 12:12:46 PM »
Yea Spinach Eater. This is a new regulation with immigration on proving residence. This is going to make life a bit more difficult for future extensions and renewals.
I had to make a second trip to get my visa extended because of the lease agreement and form.  I thought bills would work but no.
Korean Immigration Notice

Please note that visa applicants described in the following paragraphs below must submit proof of residency when applying to extend their visas and change their sojourn status as the Ministry of Justice has made the requirement compulsory in order to improve accuracy and effectiveness of places of residence of all aliens staying in the Republic of Korea.

1. You must submit proof of residency if you want to extend the following visas:

- D-1(Cultural Arts) ~ E-7(Special Occupation), E-9(Non-Professional Employment) ~ F-2(Residential), F-4(Overseas Koreans), F-6(Spouse of a Korean National), G-1(Miscellaneous), and H-2(Working Visit visa)

※ F-3(Dependent Family) and H-1(Working Holiday) visa holders are not included.

2. You must submit proof of residency if you

- would like to change your sojourn status to F-5 permanent resident

3. Acceptable documents for proof of residency

- Lease contract, confirmation of provided residence, a mail giving the notice of the expiry date of your period of sojourn, a utility bill payment for any public services, receipt of university housing fee and others.

4. Effective Date : 2013. 10. 10. (yyyy. mm. dd.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:54:52 PM by skippy »
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

Offline rylan_rogers

• Explorer
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2014, 07:39:47 AM »
I have a question for you guys. Yesterday I re-signed my contract and went to the immigration office. everything ran smoothing and they stamped some new dates on the back of my ARC, but they didn't put a new visa in my passport. The lady at the desk said I was finished, I'm a little leery of this, as her English was far from perfect. Can anyone give me some advice as of what to do? My co-teacher has no clue.

Offline desert_sugi

• Veteran
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2014, 07:42:03 AM »
That's all they do- write or sticker on the ARC card. Nothing done to the passport

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2014, 07:54:42 AM »
And the marker invariably wears off, so when you leave the country on vacation you have at least three conversations in the airport regarding whether or not your visa is valid, and then the immigrations officials just roll their eyes and let you go anyway.

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2014, 07:55:24 AM »
I have a question for you guys. Yesterday I re-signed my contract and went to the immigration office. everything ran smoothing and they stamped some new dates on the back of my ARC, but they didn't put a new visa in my passport. The lady at the desk said I was finished, I'm a little leery of this, as her English was far from perfect. Can anyone give me some advice as of what to do? My co-teacher has no clue.

your ARC is your visa. the sticker was the first issuance of your visa (if you look, you'll see it has an expiry date on it). once your ARC was issued, that became your visa. and now that it's renewed, you have no need to worry!  8)
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline rocketeerjoe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2014, 08:01:28 PM »
Let's say I renewed at a public school (gepik) for two years, giving me 3 years total service. What kind of severance can one expect at the end of that assuming the person was paid 2.1, 2.3, 2.5 for each year? Is the worker paid 3 severances?

it's the last three months of employment.

so (2.5 x 3 months) x 3 years.

Can anyone else confirm this? I asked my recruiter about this, since my co teacher said the severance was only 1.3 million won (she was confusing it with airfare reimbursement). My recruiter said that it was wage times 1 month times years.

So since I make 2.3 million and worked 2 years it would be 2.3 x 2  (1 month per year)

If anyone can clarify this, let me know. I work for EPIK in Gyeongnam. I'm not sure if it changes in different provinces.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:15:50 PM by rocketeerjoe »
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

Offline sootyandco

• Veteran
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2014, 09:13:22 AM »
Your sums are sound. A little tax will also be deducted. So don't worry if it's a little less.

Offline rocketeerjoe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
Update: it was just put into my bank account.

1.3 mw - airplane reimbursement
2.3 mw - last month's pay
2.3 x 2 months (minus tax) for severance

I was under the impression that the airplane ticket and severance would be placed into my American account at the end of next month so I was a bit surprised! Made the transfer. Pension paperwork filled out last week. I leave in a few days! Woo, mission accomplished.
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

Offline BostonDan

• Waygookin
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2014, 01:37:45 PM »
Does anyone know what the penalty for overstaying on the ARC card is? I've been told the fee is 60,000 to renew, and I'm only staying a week. It seems like it might be a similar fee without the hassle. It doesn't sit well with me that my visa expires 5 days before my contract ends.

Meanwhile the website for online applications is showing an error message for new registrations. Great!

Thanks for your help!

Offline bbNiks

• Adventurer
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2014, 02:38:47 PM »
Does anyone know what the penalty for overstaying on the ARC card is? I've been told the fee is 60,000 to renew, and I'm only staying a week. It seems like it might be a similar fee without the hassle. It doesn't sit well with me that my visa expires 5 days before my contract ends.

Meanwhile the website for online applications is showing an error message for new registrations. Great!

Thanks for your help!

Not sure why your visa expires before your contract, but... I'd call immigration (1585?) just to make sure. Maybe you can take your plane ticket and extend.

Also, this might not be applicable since you said a week (I'm assuming 7 whole days)? If you're not staying that long... don't you have 10 days to exit the country after your contract ends?

Offline raibanonline@hotmail.com

• Waygookin
Hi - i wonder if anyone has encountered this before - i want to leave the public school system, but stay in Korea - i will have completed my contract, and will be entitled to severance etc - my question is regarding the exit allowance - will i be entitled to that, even though i'm not leaving the country?

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
Hi - i wonder if anyone has encountered this before - i want to leave the public school system, but stay in Korea - i will have completed my contract, and will be entitled to severance etc - my question is regarding the exit allowance - will i be entitled to that, even though i'm not leaving the country?

No.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline jmwojdacz1

• Waygookin
I have a question.
My contract ends 10/21/2014 but my visa expires 11/14/14, and I am currently looking for another hagwon/kindergarten job that begins around the beginning of December. I would be leaving Korea shortly after the 21st of October and I want to return to the States until I find my next job. So do I have to file all the paperwork again and do the visa process again, or would I be able to just renew it. Thanks in advance.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
I have a question.
My contract ends 10/21/2014 but my visa expires 11/14/14, and I am currently looking for another hagwon/kindergarten job that begins around the beginning of December. I would be leaving Korea shortly after the 21st of October and I want to return to the States until I find my next job. So do I have to file all the paperwork again and do the visa process again, or would I be able to just renew it. Thanks in advance.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,73456.0.html
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline neilg

• Waygookin
Hi, my GEPIK contract ends Sept 1. ARC expires SEPT 30. 

1. Is it correct that I have until my ARC expires to find another job? And by find another job I mean, get my visa transferred to the new school.

2.  Is it correct that no new CRC is needed because Immigration has my documents?
Can I get my documents back from Immigration? Or at least a receipt or something?  Do/would I ever need them hopping from job to job in Korea?

3.  Also, I'm hoping to get a 6 month contract.  Would immigration simply extend the visa for 6 months?  (I thhought i read someone talking about only 1 year increments of extension)

Thanks!  Perhaps when answered someone could update the original help file.

Offline modman23

• Veteran
I renewed my ARC card, but now the Education office told my boss that they need me to get a new notarized and apostilled Diploma and background check. I am super confused because I didn't switch schools and already had my ARC renewed.
I have 3 months and can get it done, but I am just wondering why they would need a new set of those things at this point in time. My director couldn't really explain it well enough for me to understand what was going on.
Has anybody experienced this? Also if anybody knows of the best way for me to get those things done I'd appreciate the help (I'm from the U.S.). Thanks!

Offline K04

• Veteran
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have a question and wondering if anyone has been in my situation before and knows the answer because none of the Korean staff at my school seems to know. I need to switch my workplace and extend my E-2 visa for another year. I am moving from Incheon to Anjung so different Immigration Offices but same province. So I have a few questions:

1. When I go to do these things which immigration office do I need to go to, the new areas immigration?
2. Also do I have to hand in my current ARC and passport? I am trying to book a trip home but if I have to hand those in I obviously cannot go. (which also leaves me homeless for a month between contracts in Korea).
3. Lastly do I have to wait until my current contract finishes (in two weeks) to change my workplace and visa or can I do this ahead of time?

Offline skippy

• Expert Waygook
  • E2/hagwon/Canuck
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have a question and wondering if anyone has been in my situation before and knows the answer because none of the Korean staff at my school seems to know. I need to switch my workplace and extend my E-2 visa for another year. I am moving from Incheon to Anjung so different Immigration Offices but same province. So I have a few questions:

1. When I go to do these things which immigration office do I need to go to, the new areas immigration?
Hmmm I think the transfer would be best done at the immi office for the area of the new school.

2. Also do I have to hand in my current ARC and passport? I am trying to book a trip home but if I have to hand those in I obviously cannot go. (which also leaves me homeless for a month between contracts in Korea).
If you are just transferring and extending the current E-2 visa, the visa should be updated and done that day.  If you go for a D-10 then things might be different and having to hand things in might happen.

3. Lastly do I have to wait until my current contract finishes (in two weeks) to change my workplace and visa or can I do this ahead of time?

Yes, you have to wait, unless you want to save your soon to be ex boss about 3 million won.   Going to give up the severance and plane ticket huh!   Maybe you can do a it a few days before and things might ignored.  Immi can be picky on transferring and when you do it.   Best thing for peace of mind and money is to transfer AFTER last day of work.

Good Luck
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

Offline K04

• Veteran
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2014, 03:39:24 PM »
Hi Skippy,

Thanks for the response.

1. Yes, finally after six calls to immigration and being given the run around I found out I do go to the office in the area of the new school.

2. They said that "hopefully it will be processed and updated the same day but they cannot guarantee it and it could take 7-14 working days. So I basically can't book a flight home "just in case." It won't be a D-10 since I have my new contract and paperwork in hand.

3. No matter what I am out of my exit allowance because I am changing jobs within Korea so I don't qualify since my MOE has to transfer my documents over to my new job. I am going to go to immigration three days before the end of my contract since I will be on vacation days and try to change the workplace and VISA information. Immigration said if I bring a letter from my director saying I am still finishing my current contract they may be able to process it. But now you have me worried about this affecting my severance payment as I am not willing to give that up. I have contacted the coordinator at my MOE about that since she and I are friends.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline withmatt

• Super Waygook
Re: FAQ (ARC, extending visa, severance, etc., etc.) UPDATED August 28, 2014
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »
So is a health check required every year to renew the visa?

And what if I just change workplaces without renewing the visa?