October 16, 2018, 05:30:16 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: The importance of TESL certification  (Read 903 times)

Offline swissmiss

• Adventurer
The importance of TESL certification
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:45:51 AM »
I was hired by my school with no experience and did not have to do any coursework in TESL or any like program.  I really love my Hagwon, the kids, and enjoy the work.  I came to Korea with the intention of building my repertoire in foreign languages but have unexpectedly fallen in love with teaching.  Recently, I have been debating getting a masters in education or doing something to add accreditation to my simple bachelors in the event that I decide to teach for more than a year and have a serious go at this.  To start, I considered getting the basic certificate for teaching English as a foreign language but is it even worth it if I am already getting experience?   

Offline andyfoggy

• Super Waygook
Re: The importance of TESL certification
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 02:17:12 AM »
do it,its worth it and if you move to public school (EPIC) you will automatically jump up a pay grade and it will pay for itself in 4 months :)
i did the 120 hrs one with bridge tefl and it covered adults and kiddies and i really enjoyed it

Offline samuse

• Explorer
Re: The importance of TESL certification
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:09:58 PM »
yeah my friend who is out in Ulsan did the same, worth it for the pay alone but also may be a good stepping stone for learning more :) I'm hoping o head out next year and starting my course now. Just do your research and make sure you get one your school, or the majority of others will actually recognise!