October 17, 2018, 09:58:23 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Offered a good interview. Need advice!  (Read 879 times)

Offline mtmadill

• Waygookin
Offered a good interview. Need advice!
« on: November 17, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »
So I have a dilemma and I am looking for some advice. I currently work at a public school and my school loves me. My principal and vice principals all have nothing but good things to say about me.

Yesterday, I was offered an interview at a very prestigious University and I know that during the interview, they will ask for references. I have many good references from teaching in Canada, but I really want to ask my principal and vice principal if they would be my Korean references as I do not have any Korean references.
My question is, would it be a bad idea to tell my principal and vice principal that I am looking for other jobs? Would it be smarter to keep it quiet and not tell anyone until I know I got the job?

I would not be breaking my contract as it ends March 1st and the new job would start then. I have asked some of my teacher friends and they have mixed answers. Some say tell them, others say donít. In my opinion, having my principal and vice principal as references would be very good for me in getting this University job.

Any advice?

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
Re: Offered a good interview. Need advice!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 11:29:27 AM »
If it's a jump up to university they'll most likely understand and be supportive. If it were to another public school or a hagwon it could be seen as a loss of face for them, but the fact that they had a now-professor teaching there will be a gain of face if you get the uni job.

Offline Sara

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »
How westernized are your principal and VP? I ask because when I asked for references from my school,  I was told it wasn't common in Korea. They acted really weird about it so I just stopped there. (Maybe it was a face losing thing? I don't know, I didn't want to make it more awkward by asking.)

In the end, I was still able to land my university job without a recommendation from my current school  8)

Offline Jeff619

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »
If the new job finishes after your contract I don't see how the school would have any problem with this.  They know the routine and foreign teachers are not exactly long term workers.  I'm sure your principal understands this and would be happy to write a letter for you.