October 17, 2018, 10:00:25 PM

Author Topic: Teacher Snack Time  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Amandada6262000

• Veteran
Teacher Snack Time
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:38:45 AM »
Hi everyone,
Just wondering something. Most days we have "teacher snack time," which I'm sure you all have, and I love it. We just eat snacks together. I want to bring in something really special to share with my co-teachers but I need some ideas! What have you brought in?

I brought in some persimmons last week, but I don't think I brought enough and I feel bad about it. What can I bring that is not too expensive and they will really appreciate?

Cheers!

Offline profmiscreant

• Veteran
Re: Teacher Snack Time
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »
Swing by Paris Baguette and bring assorted breads... I  used to bring the honey castellas. They enjoyed them deeply

archaeologist

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:52:33 AM »
Go to Costco and get some real western snacks and share them. Or find a black market store and do the same thing.

Offline cdwyer

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:06:23 AM »
I agree with going to a bakery and buying assorted breads or pastries.  Try to ask for a box instead of a bag .  You could also buy some sweet rice cake or fruit.   I have done that in the past and my co-workers enjoyed them.  ^_^

Offline TriKorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:35:15 AM »
I baked a little loaf of bread and that was really cheap and easy... and they all seemed to love it.

You don't have to make bread, but you can make something.... some sort of dip and some crackers, cake, brownies....
www.iherb.com great place to get Gluten Free products, vitamins, and workout supplements shipped to the ROK for only $4... ******$5 off your first order with this code UPE657 ******

Living for Adventure!

Offline Amandada6262000

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
I would LOVE to bake something for them, but alas, no oven :( haha. Thanks for all your suggestions! I will stop by PB soon and pick up some little snacks. I love their cinammon rolls!

(I initially did not want to do this, though, because one of my friends brought in a little bread and all of the teachers thought she was trying to get them fat and refused to eat it. My co-teachers, however, are really nice and not crazy and I just wanted bring something delicious to share.)

Ochodnid

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:39:47 AM »
Cake or donuts work wonders.

Offline katrink2

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 10:44:11 AM »
This sounds awful in writing, but PB has those cake-loaves for about 10k that are really delicious, and the teachers always like them. The green tea cake, especially. Or I just bring in a cheap bag of mandarins from the fruit lady outside, and they're equally excited. Or a bag of little croissants from Home Plus. It's the thought that counts (and I think Korean stuff is often better than bringing Western snacks, because it's cheaper and you know they'll actually like what you bring in).

Offline Amandada6262000

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »
I'm always so envious of people at schools where teachers socialize and talk to each other.

As I've mentioned in other posts, there is very little friendship among Korean teachers at my school - I've never seen anyone share food, and usually walking through the halls teachers won't even acknowledge each other.

The idea of having friendly get-togethers with teachers here boggles my mind.

I'm so sorry.... that's a shame. I know how you feel! I honestly had to work at it to get the other teachers to talk to me, but once I started trying, they became more friendly and welcoming toward me. My predecessor was apparently very cold and left a bad impression of foreign English teachers, so they were slow to warm to me. While pretty much constantly smiling and practicing my abyssmal Korean with them, as well as not caring when they laugh at me, I've since joined the school volleyball team and yoga club, as well as being taught crochet by the home-ec teacher here. We're not exactly hang-out buddies outside of school, one step at a time! The little things definitely matter.

Maybe you could bring in a little snack one time....

Offline bohwa

• Newgookin
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 03:20:36 PM »
piced cake or bread, simple snack,,
that's enough
 :)

Offline mitchetom

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
Gotta have to agree with foreign stuff from Costco. I got some Swiss chocolates once and my local teachers loved it.

Offline twak24

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 12:30:29 PM »
Sad face. This sounds like such a great thing to do. The closest I've ever come to "snack time" at the office was this one morning about 9 months ago when we all awkwardly stood around a communal kimbap.

Anyhow, if I were you, rocking out the snack-time, I would hit up 3 different big breads (so share-able) from PB ot TLJ, like the sliced mocha bread with mocha cream between each slice, the walnut bread with walnut cream between each slice and a big slab of the sweet-milk or pumpkin number. Mmmm, bread... I think I'll pop by the bakery on the way home. CONSUME!!! This was a not-so-subliminal message, brought to in in part by my complete boredom and addiction to carbohydrates.

Offline Ben-Ja-Meen

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 01:45:22 PM »
Every so often I'll bring in a few boxes of Vitamin C drinks.  Everyone is getting sick this time of year, so I'm sure they'll all appreciate it.  It might not seem special, but they'll probably be amused that a foreigner would bring something like that in... They're inexpensive and you can get them everywhere...local grocers, Emart/Homeplus and even pharmacies. 

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 02:21:45 PM »
I'm always so envious of people at schools where teachers socialize and talk to each other.

As I've mentioned in other posts, there is very little friendship among Korean teachers at my school - I've never seen anyone share food, and usually walking through the halls teachers won't even acknowledge each other.

The idea of having friendly get-togethers with teachers here boggles my mind.

I'm so sorry.... that's a shame. I know how you feel! I honestly had to work at it to get the other teachers to talk to me, but once I started trying, they became more friendly and welcoming toward me. My predecessor was apparently very cold and left a bad impression of foreign English teachers, so they were slow to warm to me. While pretty much constantly smiling and practicing my abyssmal Korean with them, as well as not caring when they laugh at me, I've since joined the school volleyball team and yoga club, as well as being taught crochet by the home-ec teacher here. We're not exactly hang-out buddies outside of school, one step at a time! The little things definitely matter.

Maybe you could bring in a little snack one time....

No, you misunderstand - teachers love me, and are always very friendly to me. It's each other that they hate. There are daily shouting matches in my office, and a huge divide between the tenured old male teachers and the downtrodden young female teachers. It's just a very tense, unhappy workplace.

I feel you. My school situation is probably 'heaven' compared to almost everyone else's school situation but the more Korean I learn the more 'bitching' I understand which, in turn, makes me not want to learn Korean. Being ignorant of "who hates whom" is just easier to deal with. I didn't come here for more stress.

I brought those dark chocolate pieces from Costco (you know, the ones that come in four separate bags within a box) and they liked them, although it pissed me off how little "appetite" most of the teachers had. They'd eat one or two little chocolates and feel "satisfied". What?!? Those chocolates aren't that tasty but they're tasty enough to at least indulge a little.

My coteacher: "Oh, I have those chocolates at home. I eat one every night. So delicious."
Me: "You mean, one bag?"
Cot: "No, one chocolate."
Are you serious?!? Why even bother if you're not going to enjoy them??? I guess it's people that have been blessed with "lack of passion/appetite" that end up saving money, though...
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline bebouchard

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 03:16:10 PM »
one of my friends brought in a little bread and all of the teachers thought she was trying to get them fat and refused to eat it.

I'm wondering, just wondering is all, if the teachers in this case were just doing that Korean thing of always refusing stuff on the first offer. Even though they may actually want the thing you are giving them, sometimes you have to play the little game of being very insistent and them refusing two or three times until they finally cave. No way of knowing of course, just a thought.

Personally, I have no patience for this, so even though I feel a little guilty about it, I rarely offer any snacks or things to my co-teachers. I should get over myself probably. Sounds like the OP is in a good school and has a good relationship with her coworkers.

Offline bjinglee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »
Gotta have to agree with foreign stuff from Costco. I got some Swiss chocolates once and my local teachers loved it.
Agree 110%. Bring in the Swiss Delice chocolates which they have at Costco for about 19,000 won, and they will praise you forever. 

Offline vashthestampyd

• Veteran
  • pssshhhh nah gurl
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 09:44:51 AM »
eah yo man, ya'll be buying stuffs man that's mad easy yo. i be cookin stuffz for my coworkers man.

i rocked a grilled chicken macaroni salad wit dem one time and it was a huge hit. people who didn't get none be talking about it all da time. one time, i made em a rocking potato and egg salad. they complimented me on mah home economicz skills and junk.

other times, ice cream man. just rock a icecream wit dem. during da summah only tho.
ya'll waygookers are off the hook man, all ya ya'll

Offline seoulsearching

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
As it's getting chillier every day, I stocked up on some Swiss Miss hot chocolate packets on my last Costco run.  I gave them out to other teachers in my gyomoshil and they loved it.

Offline Koenji

• Super Waygook
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 02:02:48 PM »
Agree 110%. Bring in the Swiss Delice chocolates which they have at Costco for about 19,000 won, and they will praise you forever.

agree with the Costo idea if you happen to live nearby one (they do bulk stuff for good prices as you all know).....I'm too much of a cheapskate to spend 19,000 on my co workers as you are though  :D

Offline englishgogo

• Newgookin
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 05:01:36 AM »
cookies  or sandwich  will be good. but if you give any thing to the teacehrs , it's ok