December 12, 2018, 10:16:18 PM

Author Topic: Receiving gifts from home  (Read 2101 times)

Offline wahs

• Adventurer
Receiving gifts from home
« on: November 14, 2011, 12:12:45 PM »
I have a few questions from people who have recieved gifts from home.  My parents are ready to send my Christmas presents which they have wrapped and placed in a box to mail.  Do you see there being any issues with coming into the country that way? 
I have heard people have had items sent of which they ended up having to pay duty on - should I have them remove the tags? Maybe throw in some old t-shirts or something?
Any help would be great!
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:32:48 PM by wahs »

Offline yeti08

• Super Waygook
Re: Recieving gifts from home
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 12:33:33 PM »
On that note does anyone know a number for customs/post office in the Anyang/Seoul area.  My dad sent me a package close to a month ago (from Pittsburgh area) still has not arrived.  No word either.  Nothing crazy in it -- cookies, frisbee, and a not that expensive bracelet for the future mother-in-law.  I'd be totally bummed if it's gone missing.

Offline profmiscreant

• Veteran
Re: Receiving gifts from home
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:40:31 PM »
Remove tags, original packaging and should be fine.

I've had quite a few boxes shipped and never had any problems... Except for the time Customs stole my jerky and left  a pamphlet on foot and mouth disease in the box.

Offline Amandada6262000

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »
Remove tags, original packaging and should be fine.

I've had quite a few boxes shipped and never had any problems... Except for the time Customs stole my jerky and left  a pamphlet on foot and mouth disease in the box.

Haha!! Hilarious and also sad. I'd be so mad if they took my jerky.

I've had absolutely no problem receiving care pacakges from my family, full of candy, coffee and velveeta cheese, haha. I've also ordered clothing online, delivered very quickly, with no problems and no duty. Generally if the goods inside the package are valued at less than $100, there's no duty. (There are exceptions- the duty can be pretty high for certain things, like alcohol, etc, or if the package is valued at more than $100, it's about 20-30%.) I usually get packages more quickly than I would if I were still in the US, too- about six days. If it has been over a month, unless the package was shipped by boat, there's probably a problem.

Hope this helps!! Enjoy those presents!

Offline nardthefox

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »
Yeah, I once lost a bit over 500 bucks in Christmas gifts my sister sent home from Seoul. Went by slow boat, it got "lost" and we lost a ton of art and other Korean trinkets for our family. Never heard what happened, despite repeated attempts from both Korea and America to find out what the hell was up.

A month is too long. Something is wrong. You sure they got the address right?

Offline wahs

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
Thanks so much for the help!  I hope you get your packadge Yeti, you have me very nervous now  :(

Offline wahs

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 10:04:34 AM »
Thanks Sejong! Very helpful, and I will keep that in mind and let me family know.

I am also semi in the same vote as Yeti on receiving a package from home.  It was sent by a friend and full of Halloween Candy, but sent more then 5 weeks ago.  I have been attempting with the help of my co-teachers to call customs with no luck. 

It's probably the candy that's keeping it so long.  But does anyone know if I will eventually receive it?

Offline Songwon

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:49:10 AM »
I've never had a problem.  There's no point in your parents wrapping presents, though; I've also never, ever had a box arrive without having been opened and thoroughly checked by Customs.

Offline twak24

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »
I had a problem of note with customs, but that was when I couriered vitamins to myself and they phoned me up and asked me all about it and ended up destroying it. Yes, that was a good $300 into the inferno. And when I thought it was all over, they phoned me last week and asked me all about it again and asked me for my passport number and address and school etc. Then they next day, DHL delivered a letter to my school from them. Anyways, at least I knew where it was.

So, I guess what I am saying is, if there is a problem at customs you would know ALL about it. It might be lost on the way here. Sorry, yo.

Offline wahs

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 02:55:33 PM »
I don't think the number was even on the parcel, so I am doubting a phone call :(

Thanks for the heads up though, that really sucks.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html