December 10, 2018, 04:07:50 AM

Author Topic: What's your favourite national anthem?  (Read 3681 times)

Offline lindsaydp1

• Veteran
What's your favourite national anthem?
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:11:19 AM »
Last night two South African friends of mine absolutely butchered the Australian anthem after losing a bet. (Story and hilarious video here: http://annyongchingu.blogspot.com/2011/11/two-south-africans-mangled-aussie.html)

I like anthems. They make me tear up and hum along, no matter whose it is. I can sing most of the Star Spangled Banner, despite being South African. I also like, the French one, and also Wales and Ireland (Forever standing tall!) Which do you like?

Offline pcunit2009

• Veteran
Re: What's your favourite national anthem?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:34:12 AM »
It pains me to say it, but 'Le Marsellaise' is epic, everything a national anthem should be. Sadly it's French.
Shameless self-promotion - http://plummerandchinsadventure.com/

Offline JahRhythm

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • University E2 Visa
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:38:11 AM »
I'm a Yank, but I am a fan of the Canadian national anthem in English et en francais.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

Offline Kev20

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:21:15 AM »
There's two I really like - the Italian anthem and the Scottish anthem (O' Flower of Scotland). There's only one I sing along to which is my own - the Irish anthem.

Nothing better than when the Six Nations comes around and all the great anthems are sung so passionately and make the big men cry.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:23:18 AM by Kev20 »

Offline releitse88

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 10:26:58 AM »
I really like the German one, although I don't really know what it's called.

Also, "God Save The Queen" as it is done by Queen sounds pretty amazing.

I'm Canadian, so of course I like my own, but only when it's both in English and French. We learned how to sing it all in French when I was in elementary school. I remember only the sounds, but I have no idea what the words mean! (the lyrics in French are somewhat different from those in English)

Offline Seoulian

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:37:06 AM »
I like the russian one, it is epic:

much nicer as an orchestral:

Offline zeeman

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:52:06 AM »
I love my country's (South Africa) national athem. but I find that I always bow in respect when i hear other national anthems as well! they are all beautiful!

Offline imtired

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:30:49 AM »
Nothing will ever be better than the old Soviet National Anthem.  I'm no fan of communism, but that anthem had everything an anthem should have.  It was brilliant, and still is, brilliant!

Offline menschmaschine

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 12:57:43 PM »
Nothing will ever be better than the old Soviet National Anthem.  I'm no fan of communism, but that anthem had everything an anthem should have.  It was brilliant, and still is, brilliant!

The GDR/DDR also used to have a really good anthem.

Those Soviet-era anthems are kind of depressing though since all the rhetoric falls so short.

Offline DejaVu

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 01:08:58 PM »
I detest the ideas of nationalism and patriotism but, somehow, all national anthems pull on my emotions.  It's not the lyrics but maybe the idea that everyone is coming together to sing a song...

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »
Dude, I'm pretty sure PCUnit was referring to the French National Anthem as in FRANCE - not the French Canadian athem.

I know

That's why he said 'La Marseillaise'.

I know

Plus, not only do the lyrics to the Canadian anthem have different meanings in French and English, the English version is actually a translation of the original French language anthem.

And I know.

So now that that's all cleared up...

Offline Cereal

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Awwww man!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »
The German national anthem! Uber alles
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

Offline FloridaGator314

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 03:05:12 PM »
I'm an American, but I do enjoy Canada's anthem.

Offline auster

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 03:29:37 PM »
The English one is poor, makes me die a little inside when I hear "God save the Queen". I like the Marseillaise too, but it's pretty racist; about washing impure blood from France.

Offline bb

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 03:30:45 PM »
I'm American but really like the Canadian anthem. No joke, learned it from part time job  selling sodas at stadium during hockey games.

That said, wish USA had 'American the Beautiful' as it's anthem instead of 'Star Sprangled Banner.' 'A. the B. is such a beautiful song. 'SSB' is ...well...just powder horn and musket-y

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »
I very much like the old Soviet anthem -- specifically the version from the "Hunt for Red October". It's very... anthemy. ;D

Offline kneukels

• Veteran
  • Hugs not Drugs!
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
Interesting fact about the South African anthem (which is naturally my favourite being a Saffa and all) is that it is the only anthem in the world written in 5 different languages. As a result, a lot of South Africans struggle to pronounce most of the words and the majority of South Africans have no idea what they are singing while they are singing it...

Any South Africans who have never done so, do yourself a favour and google the English lyrics of the South African anthem...it truly is a beautiful song!

For pronunciation...this hysterical video actually has it spot on! :P

Other than the SA anthem, I do LOVE Ireland's Call, Flower of Scotland and Wales' anthem is also lovely...

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 08:57:14 PM »
I like Canada's when its in one of the official languages (I can sing both), not the horribly woven bilingual one. I do like the Star Spangled Banner.

I went to a Canadian school in China for a semester, so I'm quite partial to their national anthem as well.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline wahs

• Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 01:14:11 PM »
I'm Canadian, not necessarily my favourite but I always find the American national anthem has so much power and sends chills down my spine, much more then the Canadian anthem does.  I also love how important the national anthem is to Americans, if you look around at a hockey game Americans always have their hands on their hearts and are so "in it" while I find Canadians are always talking to others during it and don't seem to care. 

I love my country, just wish we could put a little more effort into loving it!

Offline sw712

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 03:15:38 PM »
I always find myself humming along to the Korean anthem at school on Monday mornings.

I'm also partial to Jerusalem, the unnoficial anthem of England