February 16, 2019, 03:48:30 PM

Author Topic: CELTA/DELTA Information  (Read 60767 times)

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
Re: CELTA/DELTA Information
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2016, 11:55:35 AM »
I'm thinking of doing the DELTA but I haven't done the CELTA. Is this a fool's errand or should I be okay if I read around the area beforehand? I completed my Master's in a calendar year so I'm used to a heavy workload (but it was in an unrelated field).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:55:24 PM by robin_teacher »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2016, 02:47:49 PM »
I'm thinking of doing the DELTA but I haven't done the CELTA. Is this a fool's errand or should I be okay if I read around the area beforehand? I completed my Master's in a calendar year so I'm used to a heavy workload (but it was in an unrelated field).

Depends what the practical element of your MA was like, if there was one. If you've done an MA you'll find the assignments easier and if you've done a CELTA you'll find the observations easier.
If your teaching has never been formally assessed before you might find the attention to detail and requirement to teach to very specific criteria tough.   

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2016, 03:47:57 PM »

Hi Robin! (Ex-Yongin Greenwich Robin?),

i did the DELTA last year and it was a great course, incredibly informative and really helped my teaching....... but.... it not helped me much in Korea sadly. A lot of institutions don't even know what it is.

I did it because I thought I was going to move countries, but that didn't end up happening. Just something to consider!

Offline dandred

• Veteran
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2016, 05:45:57 PM »
The DELTA is one of the most difficult courses you will ever do, my research based MA is SLA and TEFL/TESOL was a piece of cake compared to the DELTA, very rewarding course but you have to be on your game to pass.
15 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave. Thank you.