February 17, 2019, 03:17:10 PM

Author Topic: English Budget and Supplies Ideas  (Read 39593 times)

Offline mhawha511

• Explorer
Re: Stocking an English Only Zone...need suggestions!
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2011, 03:46:42 PM »
EOZ  means a lot of things to buy. In this chance, school can buy many kinds of things.
For examle, reading series, DVD, song and so on. What i want to say, buy something that can used for a long time and can used directly to the students. Game tools are possible. I visited English book store(Kidary that kinds of bookstore)

Offline cassie

• Veteran
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »
Amelia Bedilia is available for a resonable price at www.whatthebook.com

- There are microphones in the EOZ at my country school which I wish I had at my regular school. Here are the ones we have:

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=217488849&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_order=jenics

It's a set of 2 wireless mics that the co-teacher and I can use, or one for me and one being passed around to speaking students. They're fantastic!

- The last time around, we got computer remotes we could use to control PPTs from anywhere in the room. They were fairly affordable at about 35k.

- Whiteboards, markers, erasers for students to use if you don't already have them.

- Giant dice for games like these: http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=225626286&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_order=dice
My personal small ones kept disappearing, and it's hard for the class to see what students have rolled.

There are a few ideas!

Offline Seoulian

• Veteran
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2011, 09:11:35 PM »
CD players that attach to the wall with headphones. Make sure you can replace the headphones because they will get broken. This is a huge hit in my school. Western music the students like : Avril Lavigne, Jason Mraz, Kelly Clarkson, Lady Gaga, that irish band that sand you raise me up and I think Muse (maybe? some of my boys like pop punk). My students love the Simpsons as well, they will come to the English zone to watch the simpsons on TV.

Graphic novels are good because they are high interest and ESL friendly with pictures.

One thing I would suggest is not buying any of the "classics" or adult novels. My school has novels like The Kite Runner and 10 People you met before you die (I think that's what it was called, it was terrible). I am the only person that is going to read these. Also, many of the classics use English the students are not used to, and they need the translation. At that point they are going to read the Korean translations and it becomes pointless.

Offline Monkee

• Waygookin
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2011, 10:48:25 AM »
I asked my school to get art supplies like markers, crayons and big poster paper on hand because i like having the students create something in groups and we can put those up as decoration after. You can also contact your country's tourism office in Korea (most likely in Seoul) and have them send you giant posters and travel guide for free. You might have to pay for postage, but it is very cheap. If your school has the money, ask to buy loads of English movies and you can play them during lunch time. My kids like that a lot. Penguin books has a lot of teacher resources where you can just photo copy the pages and run the activities. "Pair Work" "Group Work" "Grammar Games" are all in different levels, and you can order them from Kyobo's website in Korea. 

Offline vpluong

• Veteran
Help! I need help with "English Only Room!"
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2012, 08:24:26 AM »
Greetings fellow Waygookians,

I'm a native teacher currently teaching in a high school in the Gyeonbak Province. My co-teacher recently asked me to ask other native middle school and high school teachers how they have their "English only room" set up.  I need the following information if possible.
1. The design and layout of your English only room.
2. The materials used in your English only room.
3. What technology does your English only room have?
4. I would also need pictures of your English only room if possible. Please take a few snap shots of your English room.

Thank you very much my fellow waygookians, as I hope this is not too much to ask. I can not compensate you monetarily for your help but I'm sure you'll get a lot of Karma for helping me out.  ;D

Kind Regards,
Vince

Offline 한소로

• Expert Waygook
  • SMOE
Re: Help! I need help with "English Only Room!"
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2012, 08:33:41 AM »
My English Zone is in our basement, and is a large room with two white boards in the front with a TV screen in the middle. There is a computer and desk off to the side.  The desks are set up in groups at all times since there is no testing taken place there.

In the back of the classroom there are bookshelves with English books as well as english newspapers/articles. At the back corner is a round table with chairs. (none of these are used....the students seem interested in the articles though, they tend to have kpop stars on them)

Sorry, no pictures at the moment. It's a pretty room though, but never gets enough use. There are large mural sized pictures of famous international universities on the walls/blinds. We have to keep it locked though, so the janitors can't get in.... so it's always dirty...

Offline vpluong

• Veteran
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
My English Zone is in our basement, and is a large room with two white boards in the front with a TV screen in the middle. There is a computer and desk off to the side.  The desks are set up in groups at all times since there is no testing taken place there.

In the back of the classroom there are bookshelves with English books as well as english newspapers/articles. At the back corner is a round table with chairs. (none of these are used....the students seem interested in the articles though, they tend to have kpop stars on them)

Sorry, no pictures at the moment. It's a pretty room though, but never gets enough use. There are large mural sized pictures of famous international universities on the walls/blinds. We have to keep it locked though, so the janitors can't get in.... so it's always dirty...

Thanks a lot for your post! If possible, please send  pics. I have the same problem with my English room to. Students don't use it that much.

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2012, 10:24:40 AM »
I have an English cafe (it's not a classroom) that has a TV with cable channels, some bench couches Then two computers (not great, quite old and crap) With shelves of books and magazines in English. We have regular subscriptions to Times magazine etc. Unfortunately this room is not used, as my students are focused on other things.

For my classroom, it's a traditional Korean style...my students sit on the floor. I have 4 boards (two center ones part so I can use the projector...but I love this set up, because it allows me to easily draw (with whiteboard markers on my whiteboards) on top of my powerpoint projection. So I project giant versions of worksheets and can fill them in or similar). I have a computer in that room too and a whiteboard at the back. I also have space for putting up students work...built in pinboards are wonderful!

I have to say, I adore having the traditional classroom. It's just such a great atmosphere and feeling. There's no chairs hindering movement or shuffling of groups. It's more relaxed and open to conversation. It's just so different to any other classroom they go to, so the minute they walk in they know what class it is and how to behave.

I've taught in other classroom and the students always come out with behaviors that they have learnt are acceptable in those classes (sleeping, attitude, Korean use).

So, while my situation is unique (I can do things on a different scale with only 15 students), my suggestion to you is to make the feeling of your room as special or different to any other classroom the students have been in. Then it really becomes 'english room' with your rules and your way of teaching. It helps that I'm the only one who teaches in this room.

If that's through lighting (you can see in the pictures I have orange pendant lamps....i can have it so they are the only ones turned on, so it gives a nice warm feeling) or through flooring color, desk shape, wallpaper.....don't forget all those tiny details that help set the mood and atmosphere- each class, the students will fall into behaviors that you train them to expect in that environment.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2012, 10:36:48 AM »
-just to add....this isn't technically an English Only room, in our school the whole building floor is officially an English Zone.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline vpluong

• Veteran
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »
-just to add....this isn't technically an English Only room, in our school the whole building floor is officially an English Zone.

Wow! it looks amazing! thank you for your input ProbablyLauren! I agree, with adding a unique atmosphere to the room. Students will think that it's special setting it apart from their typical day to day classes.

Offline vpluong

• Veteran
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2012, 10:31:51 AM »
*Bump* I apologize for the bump But I need at least 2 more posts like ProbablyLauren. Thanks.

Offline JL5205

• Super Waygook
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »
No offense but I think it's very ridiculous and unfair of your teacher to expect pictures from you.  I noticed a couple on here - just use those and say you couldn't find anymore if your co teacher asks. 

To answer your question, though, my school DOESN'T have an English only room. 

Offline stemarty

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »
WE actually just finished decorating our new English lab so I can upload photos and videos this evening when I get home (I left my USB cable at home) 

But to describe it: Our Room is a large open space concept with a TV at the front and 7 group tables) At the back corner we have a bookshelf with English novels and TOEIC exam workbooks. At the front left corner we have another bookshelf for my poster papers, markers, materials, and notebooks for the newspaper club.

At the back I have create a photo artwork wall with student work. Every month or so I think of a new project and have the students make posters or written work. Then I post the best work onto the wall. It livens up the space and my kids love looking at them

Offline Wintermute

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • High School - Speech
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
4. no pictures for you, sorry.

3. A T.V., used daily. some computers, never touched. my laptop, plugged into the tv.

1. basic classroom set up. desk face the front, can be rearranged if need be.

2. A map. some posters I made, one wall highly details school life in america. Theres a box for students to put notes or letters to ask questions or something.

Middle school btw.

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • E2 Visa High School, 5 years
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »
My high school girls' English zone is set up in the same shape as their other classrooms. It is 67.5 pyeong and in a rectangle shape. They can enter though only the door at the front of the room, even though there is a second door at the back. When you enter, the blackboard is at the top of the room, on the right , and the desks are across from that, arranged into six groups of six desks. They are typical small rectangle style desks with normal plastic/metal chairs. At the back of the room, on the wall opposite the blackboard, is what I call the "green board", where I have hung a world map, a few English grammar/writing posters, and a little collage of items to do with Canada.

Drirectly across from the door is the wall of windows to the outside, and the wall where the door is found, parallel to our hallway, also has half-sized windows along the top. In the back corner of this wall I have several lockable bookshelves with a great variety of English resources - books, games, dvds, craft materials, role-pkay props, etc. Along the wall to the left is our big white board, where I display our class homework points poster (a competiton for an end-of-semester prize), and doodles/messages from the students.  I also have a set of cut out alphabet letters and numbers, so there is a message that reads "welcome back". I keep meaning to change the message but I never seem to get around to that!

Our blackboard is divided into three parts. The center is the main writing area. Then, to each side there are slide out parts, two or three deep, which include a world map and large grid system. The outermost parts are both corkboards, for displaying items. On the right one I have my big colourful monthly calendar, with velcro attachments to chance the month, numbers and special days. Under this I have a few classroom management and points of interest items such as our classroom seating plan (changes monthly, and a list of popular English names for girls, and a poster advertising for a year abroad. On the left side cork board are a bunch of class decorating posters, to do with good manners. They say things like "come on time",  "raise your hand", etc. Also in this left side front corner is our flat screen TV, hanging from the ceiling. This is connected to our computer, which in turn is connected to a projector and screen that can be put down in front of the blackboard. I've never used them though, only the computer/TV combo.

The windows to the outside have two sets of sunshades each. One lighter set, and one darker set for really blocking out the sun on bright days. I wish we could have them printed with scenes from English speaking countries, but they are just plain right now. On the back wall under the green board are a magazine display and a newspaper rack (the kind where you thread the Newspaper though a long stick-like thing), and one more large, open bookshelf. On this shelf I have a cd player (never used), various dictionaries, and our small whiteboards, almost enough for two per table. Finally, under the TV at the front, I have one more small, low lockable cupboard. It has a bunch of my daily classroom supplies like paper, crayons, lost and found box, cards/game pieces, and also a printer that has never been hooked up.

I'll try to get some photos to add soon. 

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • E2 Visa High School, 5 years
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2012, 11:55:14 AM »
Alright, here they are! It's messy and not perfect but it's mine and I love it! The pictures are from my crappy cell phone so not great quality.

I forgot to mention that each table has a basket with some scissors, glue and crayons, for taking care of their notebooks (essential for grading in my class). Also, I really like having the individual desks as opposed to larger tables, because it makes it easier for me to rearrange my class floor plan, when I am having a sepcial game day or lesson that needs a specific floor plan.

I have been told that is is getting a renovation this winter so I'm holding out for some paint and nicer curtains with English related prints on them. other than that, I don't need much more. I think the smart boards are a waste of money, so I told them not to bother spending money on it for my room.

You should recommend to your teacher to find out which schools in your area have recenlty been renovated and then ask to go see their English zones. That's what my school did, and from those visits are putting together a plan for our new room.

Offline vpluong

• Veteran
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »
Thank you all very much for all of your posts! Special thanks to shhowse for giving me such a detailed description as well as plentiful pictures. I was worried about having enough materials to give to my co-teacher but thanks to this wonderful waygook community I'm able to do what's asked of me.  ;D

Offline TheWB18

• Expert Waygook
Buying Materials for English Class?
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »
So it's that time of year...we have W2,000,000 to spend on materials for the English classroom. The only problem is, I can't really think of much that would be useful. Looking for suggestions for new teaching materials or other interesting ways to spend this money.

Right now, we have:
- 4 cabinets filled with board games
- 2 bookshelves worth of (mostly mediocre) books
- touchscreen TV, DVD player, cameras, surround sound
- flashcards, CDs, etc.

I use most of the materials in the room fairly regularly, and while it would be nice to get some new stuff....I can't really imagine what I would need/use beyond more flashcards and some Dr. Seuss books. So, suggestions please

Offline TeachaTeacha

• Expert Waygook
Re: Buying Materials for English Class?
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »
Wow. I have to make a fuss if I want A4 paper or a new board marker.

What is the age range of your students?

Offline TheWB18

• Expert Waygook
Re: Buying Materials for English Class?
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »
^Right, that would be important eh?

I teach Kindergarten-6, 3-4 classes a week at each level. So anything for elementary level would be good.

I have to fight for board markers too, except when the budget for the new year comes in. It will all be spent by me or else sneakily taken by other teachers and the new teacher who comes here when I'm gone will find his board markers are dry.