February 17, 2019, 04:34:49 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: English Budget and Supplies Ideas  (Read 39597 times)

Offline Marie Brown

• Waygookin
Re: What teaching materials have been good to you?
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »
Dice, mini-whiteboards (with markers and erasers, of course) and X/O cards.  Between the three you can come up with interesting activities for just about any topic.

Offline teachermc

• Super Waygook
  • 어...이메시지 이해했네? 한국말 잘 하네...
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 02:44:04 PM »
Dice, mini-whiteboards (with markers and erasers, of course) and X/O cards.  Between the three you can come up with interesting activities for just about any topic.

I second these suggestions and add a few particulars:

Try to get different varieties of big, soft dice.  I have several at my school - one with colored sides without numbers, one with transparent sleeves so that you can modify the dice...

The whiteboards are a great addition, but I would suggest including in the budget an enormous supply of markers and erasers.  The students love to doodle (or even simply inking their boards to see how much they can deplete them).

Also, there are different varieties of word tiles out there.  My school has sets in a football-shaped pouch called a 'Wordball.'

Your coteacher may know of a website that specifically sells these kinds of supplies in Korea.  Go with anything simple that would make games low-tech and active (with the added benefit of costing you less planning time).

Offline Janitor

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 08:27:51 AM »
Also pick up some really soft balls for the students to toss in class. I say soft because of 2 very important reasons 1) girls won't raise their hands to catch anything and 2) boys will try and hurt people no matter how many times you tell them.

A simple baby toy works well in my class and gets the students interacting.

Offline MissC

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2011, 08:59:14 AM »

Try to get different varieties of big, soft dice.  I have several at my school - one with colored sides without numbers, one with transparent sleeves so that you can modify the dice...

My elementary school has the big fuzzy dice, but I switched to regular small, hard dice. Why? Large stuffed dice are fun to throw around! You can hit your friends, or play catch. All sorts of good, not-English-learning fun!

I'd recommend getting both types of dice and seeing which works for you. Personally, I like the largish plastic dice (maybe 3 cm an edge?). They aren't distracting and they're hard to lose.

Also, check your dictionary situation. When I showed up at my middle school, they had 12 or so dictionaries, all English to Korean. These are great for translating English texts, not so great for encouraging students to express their own thoughts in English. My school's very supportive, so now I have 10 Korean to English dictionaries so students can look up a word they want to know in English.

Offline bork

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2011, 11:20:12 AM »
Dictionaries and individual whiteboards are great ideas. My co-teachers have lots of dice and soft things to throw around so there's not much point in spending more money on them but I appreciate the input.

Offline youlovetonyt

• Adventurer
English room upgrades - What should I request?
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »
EDIT - I work at a public elementary school. I should have said that originally.

I was just told that my school has an English budget of about 3,000,000 won.

They want me to come up with a list of materials and books that we can use in the classroom.

Does anyone know of any good materials to order that have worked in your classes? Board games, reading books, materials, project books etc etc.

I need to give them a list by tomorrow so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:19:22 PM by youlovetonyt »

Offline profmiscreant

• Veteran
Re: English room upgrades - What should I request?
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 03:07:29 PM »
Public school?

Art supplies have been invaluable to me and made for some interesting lessons: paper, glue, enough scissors, markers/crayons...

We also got baskets for each group so it's quicker to pass out everything if we sort it before class (worksheets, glue, game cards, whatever else you use that day)

Scrabble is great, but probably not if you're in elementary school. Guess who, Uno could be good for younger kids.

Assorted storybooks...

Dice

Small white boards/markers/erasers for group work.

Last time we had extra money we got a lot of fake fruit, vegetables, and bread for making market scenarios.

Offline joefred

• Explorer
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2011, 09:35:13 AM »
A computer, definitely. Maybe some posters as well, to brighten up the room.

Art supplies (crayons, colored pencils, etc) are definitely a must, especially with younger students. A projector or large TV monitor would be useful as well, for powerpoints and videos.

One thing that I have found is very essential are DVDs, especially for after-school classes. If you have a lot of students sometimes watching DVDs can help calm down a rowdy class or keep them entertained.

Offline hildydoo

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »
We have a touch-screen in our classroom, but it only works with a certain pen (thank GOD!). [I've heard some crazy stories about kids playing with the touch-screen, but ours don't.] So depending on how much touch-screens are, I would recommend it. It helps you to get out from behind the computer and interact more with the students (at least I think so, my co-t doesn't really use it).

We used to have individual white boards for each group, but they were taken away for the reading contest they had, and never given back. Whenever I ask about them, it's a big deal, so I would recommend those!!

Also LOTS of markers if you have a white board! Mine are always dying! :/

Offline dbtm

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2011, 12:03:56 PM »
Touch screens are nice but super expensive and easily broken. You will need to constantly watch the kids to make sure they don't break it. Not worth the headache IMO.

Markers, whiteboards, art supplies, etc.

Offline jimiready

• Adventurer
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2011, 12:46:53 PM »
large fluffy dice for pass the ball and other point scoring games; a set of small plastic dice for the class (say 15 of them); flashcard sets for the most common themes; 6X playing card sets; mini whiteboards X 6; board magnets, last year 1 teacher had a remote mouse/remote control for the TV which was pretty handy; 2X fly swatters for swat and slap games; laminating paper;  ....
DVD story books are good...

you lucky devil.

Offline richarquis

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2011, 01:06:53 PM »
Definitely a Robot. A marvelous, state of the art, 100% effective English Teaching Robot.

Offline oflove

• Newgookin
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »
touch screen tv

Offline adrofex

• Explorer
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2011, 05:33:54 PM »
Touch screens are really expensive. Try "e-beams". Using a computer (or laptop) you can convert any whiteboard into an IWB (Interactive Whiteboard).

We use it in our classes and it works a treat!  :)

Offline bjinglee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2011, 11:56:23 PM »
Touch screen TV's are great. I have one in my class. Also, ask for individual-sized white boards for each of your students (around 40 should do the trick) and LOTS of markers. I use them for activities and games all the time. 

archaeologist

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2011, 05:10:09 AM »
I work at a public elementary school. I should have said that originally.

I was just told that my school has an English budget of about 3,000,000 won.

They want me to come up with a list of materials and books that we can use in the classroom.

Does anyone know of any good materials to order that have worked in your classes? Board games, reading books, materials, project books etc etc.

I need to give them a list by tomorrow so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sometimes I just do not get you people at all. You are supposed to be English teachers yet you have no idea where to get supplies? What is it that you do with your time here?

I do not know what city you are in but there are specialty stores who focus only on English materials. InDaegu there were 3-- English House, Tommy's and one that started with a 'W'. I think Tommy's is gone now but the other two should still be around.

In Seoul the only one I have ever found is Kim 'n' Johnsons. One is located in Gangnam in the basement of a building. It is located on the next major intersection from the Kyobo building heading AWAY from downtown Seoul. The other one I know about islocated in the Paju English Village (last time I looked).

They have everything your little hearts desire for English education. The school would have to sign up to be a member and they will get a 20% discount. {That means if you buy 1,000,000 won worth of items they will pay 800,000} If you have 3,000,000 to spend, you can build a decent library and still have a lot of money left over for other needed items.

What you do is go to one of these stores make a list of things you would want, no need to ask others about what to get as everything is hit and miss depending upon your students andhow the material is used, get an application form for the school turn both in to your co-teacher and let them do the rest.

I believe Kim 'n' Johnsons' website is www.knj.co.kr but do not quote me on it. It has been awhile since I used it.

Offline baechu

• Adventurer
Stocking an English Only Zone...need suggestions!
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
My coteacher informed me that next year they will have an English Only Zone at my school, and she asked me give suggestions for materials like audiobooks, books, dvds, cds, ect. I've never had an EOZ before, so I don't really know what to tell her. For teachers out there that have EOZ, what are some materials that you use often and would suggest??? Thanks for any and all help!

Offline rcollin1

• Adventurer
Re: Stocking an English Only Zone...need suggestions!
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2011, 12:21:51 PM »
what level do you teach? high school, middle or elementary?

Offline baechu

• Adventurer
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »
Good question! I teach at an all girls middle school.

Offline rcollin1

• Adventurer
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
I'm having my sister mail me an Amelia Bedilia (sp?) book. I remember that they discuss idioms in a funny way. If it's good then maybe I'll order a few.

I'm buying my school the complete Calvin & Hobbes series for Christmas, but only after I go home and first buy each and every one from a used book store. X) I don't want it to seem TOO fancy, or else the girls will be too afraid to read and enjoy them, and also because wow the set is expensive.

I've got Kids Apples to Apples, I'm being mailed Taboo, my co-teacher is buying Pictionary.

You could suggest a few TV shows, like Hey Arnold! or whatever it was we watched when we were in middle school. I liked The Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab...

have these given you any ideas?