March 21, 2019, 05:25:19 PM

Author Topic: Do you still eat foods....  (Read 7598 times)

Offline ADB123

• Veteran
Re: Do you still eat foods....
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 12:47:53 PM »
If you dont like it, dont eat it. The korean diet does not help my health and the white rice makes me bloated. Do what feels best for your body.

Offline rogue85

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 09:01:10 AM »
I have been here for 7 months, and for the first few months I didn't like Korean food. Now though I love it! Some of the stuff is still a bit gross but most of it I enjoy. I don't eat things that I don't like just to satisfy or please my co-teachers. That would be ridiculous.

Offline wiggum2012

• Waygookin
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
I am not a picky eater, so I will eat most of what is given to me with no problem and I will always try something once ,  even if it looks disgusting. The vice principle of my school will  prepare some food for the teachers in our office about once a week, 파전 or 떡보기 or 순대. I really enjoy most of it, except for the 순대. For the first few months I was here, I would politely try a piece, even though I can't stand the stuff. Since the other teachers saw me eating it, they all assumed that I really liked it and every time we had 순대 in our office, they would bring me a full plate of it. I even received nearly a pound of frozen 순대 from a co-teacher for Christmas! Finally, I said enough was enough and began refusing it and telling other teachers that sundae was really not my favorite food. Thankfully I've been 순대 free for about 5 months now and I haven't fallen off the wagon yet  ;D

Offline Chris Bacon

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 11:16:17 AM »
Same for me.  Just the other day, I was offered some fruit that I really didn't want but I took it anyway.  Not becuase I don't like it but because I just didn't have the Korean to say why I would refuse it. 
**Christopher M Bacon**

Offline sjthielen

• Waygookin
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 12:35:56 PM »
I think if we're going to be here and be part of the culture, we should give everything the benefit of the doubt. I've only been here for 3 weeks and I've had fried silk worms, fish skin, fish head, octopus and tons and tons of kimchi. There have been things I haven't liked, but I've tried them. And when I'm eating school lunch I always take a little of everything, but choose what dishes I want more or less of. I think it would be completely impolite to just pass over something (unless you're a vegetarian/allergic) but I don't feel like I have to pretend I love it and fill my belly with it. And there have been plenty of foods (even cafeteria foods!) that I've really loved.

Offline JahRhythm

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • University E2 Visa
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 12:43:07 PM »
"I think if we're going to be here and be part of the culture..."
Who said we were 'part of the culture'? - We are not.
 "I think it would be completely impolite to just pass over something (unless you're a vegetarian/allergic)"
You're wrong. Grownups get to choose their own food.
"I've only been here for 3 weeks..."
Exactly
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

Offline obnavox3

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »
After being a here a year and a half I can't eat that stodgy, starchy, bland white rice anymore.  I haven't eaten it in 3 months and I've not only dropped 6lbs but I'm not feeling bloated and full of gas, figuratively yes but not literally, anymore!  Other than that, I like seafood so I have no problem eating the funkier Korean foods.  I haven't eat the school's kimchi in about 8 months because it's garbage from a factory in China.  Other than that, I tell them to pile on the odeng, melchi, or anything else they can throw at me. 

Almost forgot, rice cakes.  Terrible.  Always colorful and supremely disappointing.  An absolute embarrassment in food.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:39:14 PM by obnavox3 »

Offline Cereal

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Awwww man!
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
I will eat pretty much anything they put in front of me except for raw fish, which happens to be very popular here. After a couple of days in the hospital several months ago, my co-workers don't even offer it to me. When we go out together they always make sure to order me cooked fish.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

Offline teacherjenni

• Super Waygook
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »
The only two things I can think of that I flat out WILL NOT eat are the whole tiny silver fishes in the sweet-sticky sauce with nuts and the stinky fermented bean soup.  I just... I just can't do it.

Funny, I was just talking about the anchovies with nuts to someone this weekend. Coincidentally, they were served at lunch today. I LOVE those things!

Offline dvddeen

• Waygookin
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »
When I first came here, I rarely shied away from eating new foods and found for the most part that I enjoyed a lot of what Korea had to offer.  That being said, if I knew that I really wouldn't like something most of the time I didn't eat it, or if it was an important person serving it, I would eat a little.  Now that I've been here 6 years and am married to a Korean, I almost never eat foods that I don't want to eat.  I also find that there are some Korean dishes that have completely lost their appeal to me.

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2011, 05:09:49 PM »
i never imagine living without eating in my life!!!!eating and exercising is my motivation to live!!!!

I think you misinterpreted the OP.

Ochodnid

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 08:21:45 PM »
There are certain things I cannot eat, so I mention that. If I really don't want to eat something, the word diet works wonders.

Offline Happyhan

• Adventurer
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 04:50:31 PM »
I've stopped eating the food I don't enjoy but it's limited the choices to 3 meals a week, which I keep rotating and as ungrateful as it sounds I'm sooo fed up of eating the same shite! I'm tempted to start bringing my own food in a couple times a week to mix things up (and to have some veg) but don't want to offend my directors... but I may just take up Damiens advice... diet starts tomorrow!  ::)

Offline Seoulian

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2011, 05:35:41 PM »
I find this very annoying. My co-workers know I have tried everything, but they still point out anytime I don't take something I don't want and then gossip back and forth with other teachers in Korean. I like my school lunch, but I now back my own lunch so I don't have to deal with them. Seriously, it's shows such immaturity in cross-cultural meeting. I've spent time with a Fillippino family and  a Thai family (not to mention many other immigrants back home)  and they don't get their panties in a knot when someone doesn't like their food. Heck, they even tried to make me Western food without me requesting it.

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »
I don't see why everyone needs to be so arrogant toward one another, in this topic or in general. We're all grown ups, and at least in this topic, we're all likely teachers in Korea. Instead of telling people to grow up and eat the food/grow up and say no, why not grow up and show each other respect?

If the roles were reversed and my co-teacher and co-workers were with me at a Canadian school, I wouldn't force them to try the maple syrup or the poutine just because its Canadian food. Luckily for me, my co-workers recognize that I don't eat eggs or boned seafood, and frequently help me identify dishes so I can try other things at my leisure.

I don't know why it would show disrespect to admit that you don't like something, especially after you've tried it once and made it clear you didn't like it. This isn't a sleepover where you should eat whats on your plate, this is what you're eating at you're job.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline WorkingTitle3484

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 10:24:20 PM »
I don't see why everyone needs to be so arrogant toward one another, in this topic or in general. We're all grown ups, and at least in this topic, we're all likely teachers in Korea. Instead of telling people to grow up and eat the food/grow up and say no, why not grow up and show each other respect?

If the roles were reversed and my co-teacher and co-workers were with me at a Canadian school, I wouldn't force them to try the maple syrup or the poutine just because its Canadian food. Luckily for me, my co-workers recognize that I don't eat eggs or boned seafood, and frequently help me identify dishes so I can try other things at my leisure.

I don't know why it would show disrespect to admit that you don't like something, especially after you've tried it once and made it clear you didn't like it. This isn't a sleepover where you should eat whats on your plate, this is what you're eating at you're job.

Sound advice!
You get what you give :)

Offline Jwilre

• Waygookin
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 06:16:05 AM »
Definitely try everything at least once. Well sort of.

I have only been here a month, and I still at least try everything!

Even if they know I'm not a fan, they still seem to be happy that I at least took a bite and made an effort!
This is what I do at lunch, while expressing much happiness for another type of food, so they don't feel like I don't like anything!

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »

Indeed. The question is, "Do you still eat foods that you don't want to eat, in order to satisfy your Korean co-teachers / foster 'community'."

No negative comments, please. First of three warnings.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline brandon85

• Waygookin
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »
I was actually getting sick from the school lunches (I love Korean food, but our school has an issue with keeping things from spoiling). So, I asked to be off the lunch program, and brought my own to school. After a 6 months, I noticed I wasn't getting sick as often, so I kept doing it (it's been almost 13 months). The only problem that came was the dreaded "What did the foreigner make - 2000 Question Round" and having to constantly say 'yes, I made it" "No, it wasn't hard to do" and "No, it's not called bread, it's called a sandwich"

Offline english_teacha84

• Adventurer
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »
I don't eat any of it, bring my own lunch to school, and everyone's 100% fine with it.