March 23, 2019, 12:01:59 AM

Author Topic: UK/England Culture  (Read 7237 times)

Offline clementscj

• Waygookin
UK/England Culture
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »
A 2 morning summer camp I did this vacation with mixed grades (generally low level) of middle school students.

Day 1 was the UK:
Lesson 1 - practice subject names and learn about life at a boarding school in the UK.
Lesson 2 - learn about the London Underground and practice giving directions (many thanks to the original poster for this activity!).
Lesson 3 - learn the story of Beowulf and practice describing people.

Offline clementscj

• Waygookin
UK/England Culture
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »
A 2 morning summer camp I did this vacation with mixed grades (generally low level) of middle school students.

Day 2 was the Commonwealth/Empire:
Lesson 1 - learn about the British Empire, how this made English a global language and how English absorbed words from other languages.
Lesson 2 - listen and watch two songs from the Jungle Book. Answer a worksheet about what they have seen and listen to complete a gap fill activity.
Lesson 3 - listen to music from different commonwealth countries and learn how to describe music. My students loved Bob Marley and hated the didgeridoo...
All the video clips and songs I used came from You Tube.

Offline mornajackel

• Adventurer
UK/England Culture
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 01:22:23 PM »
Hi all...Here is a ppt I did on England for after school.  You should be able to work it into any elementary level class.
Cheers
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:26:11 PM by mornajackel »

Offline Rusty Brown

• Expert Waygook
Re: Culture/ England
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »
Thanks for that awesome presentation. I shall use it in my grades 4-6 afterschool class tomorrow. I'm a typography freak so I'll replace the neutral font with something English like Gill Sans or Clarendon (for my own gratification, not the kids'). After the presentation I'll prepare some English style tea and cakes. Thanks again.

Offline mornajackel

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 02:00:05 PM »
Oh that's a great idea!  I might do that too...haven't presented this yet.  I'm doing a lot of different country units with my afterschool kids.  I will post more when they are done... :)

Offline gangwon

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »
Nice powerpoint, just letting you know though, the slide labelled guard = bobby has a picture of a member of the Queen's Guard who are soldiers. These are not known as bobbies, a bobby refers to a member of the police, usually the typical foot patrol in the classic pointy hat.

Charlie

Offline mornajackel

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:18:13 PM »
Thanks Charlie!  Error noted...I might add another slide to it and have a bobby in it to make it complete...cheers

Offline jammyb

• Veteran
UK places to see
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 08:15:32 AM »
Just a section of my winter camp :)

Offline jammyb

• Veteran
The UK
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 08:23:03 AM »
A powerpoint and bomb game previously  posted, but with corrections and my own additions at the end.

Offline livingincolour

• Waygookin
Re: UK/England Culture
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
ppt about the tradition of afternoon tea.

Offline Renzo1987

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 01:54:31 PM »
This is what I done in my winter camp. The theme was cities in Europe, this is the two days on London.

Offline Hannahbatch

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 10:51:59 AM »
Hi - I did England camp for my kids. Here are the materials I used. Much has been taken/kept the same/changed from others - so thank you to them!

Offline joanne929

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 04:03:09 PM »
Nice work  :cheesy:

Offline gracevictoria

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »
Below attached is materials I used for my English Festival. It is Euro vision themed. I have scoreboards and a Euro vision PPT. The students watch the Euro vision videos and give each country between 1 to 5 points. Then we decided who won Euro vision.

Also there is a world cup game. Gave a country to each team, then they go against one another in a quiz and we see who won the world cup.

Lastly I did a summer fete for the younger grades.

Also a modern culture PPT which shows a modern view of England.

Finally a primary school PPT that shows differences between school in Korea and England.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:13:15 PM by gracevictoria »